Choosing my first 7 string and newbie questions

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by Hawkawrd, Feb 6, 2017.

1. Hawkawrd

Hawkawrd Yes I made a typo ^

Hi everyone :wavey:
    It's been some time I play with 6 string guitars people lend me but I'd like to finally jump to the other side and buy my first guitar.
    The Ibanez RGD2127z looks amazing and if I own the same guitar as Paul Wardingham it means I can play just like him right? :ugh:

The thing is that once I have it I won't have a 6 string anymore... what if I want to play some drop D? So my first question, can just tune my 6th string to drop D?
    And now let's imagine I want to play some Arch Enemy (standard C) is it safe to up tune a half-step up without changing string gauge? I was thinking that I could adjust the trem thanks to the thumb wheel...

I'm really open to your opinion, suggestions, advice etc.
    Thanks for your help !

2. Petar Bogdanov

Petar Bogdanov SS.org Regular

Wise choice, getting an Ibanez for your first 7-string is. :yoda:

If you are going to change tunings that much, the FX version of the same guitar might be a better option. Less tuning, more playing.

That being said, you CAN de-tune a string and adjust with the thumb wheel, until the top strings are in tune again, then fine-tune the lowest string. I do it all the time. When you tune to Drop D on a 7-string, you might consider also dropping the B to A, so it's actually useful. For tuning up, use a lighter gauge, especially with the extended scale. If you generally like 10s, then 9s on that guitar will do everything you want.

3. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

not sure hows that Ibanez tremolo system, but do you really want a tremolo? for your first guitar?

Its a cool tool to have, but as I learned, its the biggest pain in the butt if you dont really use it. To only fix the tuning of one string means you need to tune every string. And you cant really be changing tunings back and forth as you thinking of doing. Get yourself the hardtail version

the best solution can also be having a digitech Drop pedal to go with. That what I use with my 6 string tremolo guitar, in that way I can play in standard, have D for one song, C for 3 others, Db for like half of a song I know, and B for a couple of other half songs I play for fun.

Problem is I cant do drop D tunning on my guitar as its not as stable as that Ibanez wheel system thinggy. So thats why I got a second guitar for on Drop D for other stuff and with the pedal too.

also mind you that even you can tune up your 7 string half step to C, the open chrods shapes, solos, melodies, and whatever the band you want to do plays, they do in a 6 string format, so that weird 3rd interval you have in the g-b strings, they have it on a different spot. Nothing to worry about, its jsut you would need to transpose and learn the songs different

4. JumpingInFire

JumpingInFire SS.org Regular

Yes, you can change the tuning however you want.
    With any trem the other strings will need to be adjusted when you change one string's tuning, unless the trem is properly blocked.

I say suck it up and go for it.
    My first guitar had a licensed Floyd Rose.
    It was a massive pain in the ass.
    It pissed me off.
    I can now setup a Floyd like nobody's business in no time.

I firmly believe this is a useful skill to have and you only gain it by doing it.
    Think of it like buying your first car with a manual transmission.

That being said, I got the RGD2127FX because I did not see myself using the trem on a 7 string.
    It is fantastic!

5. Hawkawrd

Hawkawrd Yes I made a typo ^

Thanks for your feedback!

I might go for a Schecter KM7 if I choose fixed bridge... I like the idea of not being restricted with the trem but you're right that having to tune the thing for half an hour every time could discourage me from playing...
    So yeah I might go for this and wait a bit before getting the rgd with tremolo. Or maybe take a cheap 6 string for other tuning.
    hm such a difficult choice :rant:

6. Sumsar

Sumsar SS.org Regular

Defiantly start with a guitar with a fixed bridge. I have seen people almost quit playing guitar over having to change strings on a guitar with floyd rose tremolo, so make it easy for yourself and get a fixed bridge / hard tail for your first guitar.

And remember that as a wise man maybe perhaps at some point said:
    "You first guitar is probably not gonna be your last"

You can always get a guitar with a tremolo later.

7. Discoqueen

Discoqueen Dang tootin

^ Floyd Roses are scary, in my opinion. I am not much of a "handy" person, I am am able to work with hardtails and TOM's and stuff, so yeah, I'd stick with non-trem options. Bigsby's are simple enough :lol:, but I've yet to see how well those fair in metal applications!

8. Andless

Andless SS.org Regular

Floyds do have a learning curve I agree. My first electric did have one however, and now I feel like (although I rarely actually use it :rolleyes:) a guitar isn't 100% complete without it.

On a 7 I find less need to change tunings than on a 6.

9. Jeffbro

Jeffbro Banned

first 7 should not cost $1500, especially since you barely play 6

try something cheaper, like a schecter or MIJ 7421

I sold my 2127z and kept my $300 7421 because its bubinga rg7 neck felt better and was built just as well

The banshee 7 ultra slim C neck is also thinner and feels a little better imo, top specs for under $400 used