Chon!

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by JosephAOI, Sep 22, 2011.

1. QuantumCybin

QuantumCybin Lost In Thought

Music video for Splash :)

2. Nour Ayasso

Nour Ayasso SS.org Regular

^ Not surprised that their music video was about them smiling, having a good time, and painting guitars xD and they're givin em away too! Love these dudes :hbang:

3. omentremor

omentremor this godles endeavor

Holy .... these guys rule!

4. tomsargent

tomsargent SS.org Regular

Just got an email from Killer Merch stating that the 'Grow' vinyl won't ship until July. Anyone else get the same email?

5. AuroraTide

AuroraTide SS.org Regular

Yup.. bit of a let down but it sounds like its out of their control

6. ASoC

ASoC Downpicker \m/

I also got that same email, it sucks but at least they're sending a coupon code and a free bonus album. I just hope that whatever Sumerian is giving away as a bonus album isn't something I already have

7. anomynous

anomynous SS.org Regular

8. Nour Ayasso

^why did you link instagram? I couldn't find any on there, but anyway saw a few on Facebook saying he didn't quit and that it wasn't his choice so...pretty disappointed...

9. Veldar

Veldar Is Post-Thrash?

Was he the bassist?

Because he was properly holding them back as far as technicality goes I always thought they needed a Geddy Lee not a Cliff Williams.

10. anomynous

anomynous SS.org Regular

Because that's where he posted about it?

11. bhakan

bhakan SS.org Regular

It actually makes a lot of sense. Mario said somewhere that all the bass on grow was recorded by either him or Eric.

Edit: I found where I read it. This is from the comments on Book
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. aesthyrian

aesthyrian SS.org Regular

Woah.. huge CHON fanboy here, but damn with Drew gone they just lost all of their charisma haha

Pretty upsetting, Drew has great stage presence and banter which is important for a mostly instrumental band like CHON. Also his vocals were great I thought, and I did like his bass parts. I think they fit great with just the perfect amount of complexity to add to the music, not overshadow it.

13. Nour Ayasso

But you said comments? I looked through the Instagram comments and couldn't find any from drew? Only found them on Facebook, idk maybe I'm blind xD

I remember that exact comment on Youtube about who wrote the bass parts and what not. I agree that they're probably looking to step up their bass lines to match the complex guitars. I mean they had Brian Evans write drum parts on WooHoo! so they probably aim for perfection or something

I want to say "but he was the vocalist" buuut it was only two tracks and I'm sure they have that covered.

14. Nour Ayasso

/:

Attached Files:

15. ASoC

ASoC Downpicker \m/

Do none of you guys have a physical copy of Grow? The CD tells you who played what for each track. Nathan is only a bit above Drew in that respect. Between Brain Evans and Matt Garstka, Nathan didn't play as many songs as you'd expect.

16. anomynous

anomynous SS.org Regular

[​IMG]

17. Mr-Jemhead93

Mr-Jemhead93 I think I'm profound

This is just me speculating but they mentioned artistic differences, I wonder if it had to do with the singing? Maybe he wanted more of it and they didnt or vice versa? idk this just seemed like it was so abrupt.

18. gunch

gunch Riff Chugman

If they bring in some ass-beater that shreds a fretless I'll be pumped

I could take or leave the vocals anyways

19. Nour Ayasso

@anonymous Yeah sorry man I'm freaking blind I guess :lol:
    I dont >.> anyway that's what I was getting at... /: except Nathan hopefully wouldn't get kicked out becaaaause he's Mario's brother?
    In this situation probably both.
    That would be sick, and idk I liked the vocals, but like I said if they want vocals again they'll most likely just step up and handle it themselves.

20. TGOD

TGOD The Wiz

Well, Mario called out some guy on Facebook that accused them of kicking Drew out because Sumerian told them to (on top of that he accused them of "practicing too much").

Mario explicitly stated that it had nothing to do with ANYTHING other than the artistic differences between Drew and the rest of the band, and that nobody outside the band had a hand in Drew's departure.

He insisted that differences about the band was the main issue and explained that a lot of people only see them for 45 minutes on-stage and don't really understand the inner workings of the band the rest of the 6 months when they're on the road and spend LITERALLY every waking moment together.

In saying that, I'm fairly certain that the "artistic differences" had a lot to do with vocals as well as his capabilities on the bass.

For one, in a Reddit AMA a while ago, Drew said that he loved singing on the tracks and definitely wanted to explore it more with the band. If there's any creative/artistic differences in the band, that's about the ONLY conclusion I can come to. Because other than that, Drew seemed to REALLY be in to the music they wrote. Hell, he's basically the only enthusiastic one on stage when they're playing live.

But that brings me to point two. He was the only one enthusiastic on the stage because, really, his parts weren't all that great, nor that difficult. I must have watched that SXSW setlist a million times by now and nothing he ever does just screams "skill" or "raw talent" like literally EVERYONE else in the band does when they play their parts.

If it wasn't the singing, then I'm willing to bet it was definitely the rest of the band wanting to find a more fitting player to fill the bassist role.

in all seriousness, Drew was sort of holding them back, technically and creatively, in the songwriting category. Because everyone else in the band is pretty on-point.