Chon!

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by JosephAOI, Sep 22, 2011.

1. Jonathan20022

Jonathan20022 Engineer

These guys are so talented.

2. QuantumCybin

QuantumCybin Lost In Thought

Was just about to post the link. Yeah, I'm really loving the new song. Just awesome. CHON sounds like CHON. No other description I can give.

3. AuroraTide

AuroraTide SS.org Regular

Anyone else struggling to find the vinyl preorder? It shows a picture of it on Killer Merchs main page but I can't find it on the site!

4. KFW

KFW SS.org Regular

I really liked their song that had vocals. If they did that with all of their songs, I'd probably get one of their albums. Otherwise the guitar work is impressive, and so is the composition...but it's just too "clean" sounding. And I don't mean just with clean guitar tones. It flows almost too smoothly and there aren't enough surprises. Just becomes background music to me.

5. Nour Ayasso

Nour Ayasso SS.org Regular

Well they are chill sounding so they naturally fit that ambient kind of sound. But they're songs vary from ambient/chill to progressive "in your face" music. I play their music while I'm cleaning and stuff, but they still have a direct sound to where I'm paying attention to the lead riffs. In general though I can't about this band. Like at all.

6. ASoC

ASoC Downpicker \m/

I can't find it either, and I really want it :wallbash:

7. isispelican

isispelican SS.org Regular

LOVE that new song!

8. codync

codync SS.org Regular

:agreed: Yessss, this is the one true opinion! :bowdown:

9. Slunk Dragon

Slunk Dragon Gear Nerder

Absolutely cannot wait for this album to come out, love listening to these guys! Hopefully I'll be able to see them tour, but we'll see what if that'll hold up. xD

10. Shimme

Shimme Wants a Seven String

So these guys are going to be playing at a club inside my college's union, literally across the street from my fraternity.

#NoParkingFees

11. Luna Lee

Luna Lee Well-Known Member

CHON is becoming a bit more formulaic (I still love the new song though). I wish they would be a little bit more heavy, or use alternate/open tunings, they also seem to fall back on the same chord shapes :(.

12. bhakan

bhakan SS.org Regular

I see what you're saying but I still feel like they've kept each release unique enough. Newborn Sun and Woohoo are super similar musically, but on Woohoo they dropped the distortion and chilled out the feel a lot, so it still feels very different to me. Then this new song sounds pretty different. Obviously still the second you hear it you know it's CHON and it isn't revolutionary, but I wouldn't confuse it for another.

13. Sebski

Sebski SS.org Regular

I know what you mean. Story seems to have some note and chord sequences that sound similar to Fluffy or Knot. Mainly in that pre chorus. And the verse riffs sound similar to the second riff in Dew.

But the thing is, I'm not tired of it yet because the sections are short and snappy and musically interesting. Story also has a catchy chorus motif that I haven't seen from Chon really.

14. bhakan

bhakan SS.org Regular

Oh yea they definitely have a certain phrasing that is similar across all their work, but they manage to use relatively similar phrases in ways that don't feel redundant (to me at least).

15. Opion

Opion Sir Mattafer

Regardless of whether or not they re-use some chord shapes or what not, to me they have an instantly recognizable sound. Real catchy and fusion-y but playful and melodic, really refreshing. Getting signed to Sumerian can only be a good thing for them IMO as it'll help them market themselves a bit better and grab the attention of wider audiences so that is awesome :)

16. 7 Strings of Hate

7 Strings of Hate Mid-Level Asshole Contributor

Just listened for the first time. It sounds like all the other djent stuff out there IMO. I dont get it :lol: but to each his own.

17. bhakan

bhakan SS.org Regular

Obviously there's nothing wrong with not liking them, but it strikes me as strange that you'd call them djent. At this point I feel like CHON have way more in common with math rock than djent. I mean they're playing clean, standard tuned guitars which seems like the antithesis of djent to me.

Really though, if you know other djent that sounds like this, please post it because I'd love more music like CHON and really haven't payed much attention to djent recently.

18. anomynous

anomynous SS.org Regular

TIL Chon is djent

19. bhakan

bhakan SS.org Regular

20. QuantumCybin

QuantumCybin Lost In Thought

Speaking of that, I saw them a year ago with AAL and After The Burial and Navene-K. Awesome show, besides ATB as they were literally unlistenable. Nothing but noise and feedback; everything was way too loud. But yeah, CHON and AAL were awesome, I picked up Woohoo! a week before it came out at the show. They also played Ecco live so it was pretty cool getting to hear CHON with vocals before it officially debuted.