Chinese Fakemachine build thread

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by mortbopet, Jan 16, 2015.

1. LocoGringo

LocoGringo Member

Very much looking forward to seeing how this turns out.I always get tempted to do one of these myself,but can't bring myself to pull the trigger on one.I hope it works out well for you and you get a good guitar on the cheap.

2. mortbopet

mortbopet I forgot

I'm pretty much expecting it to be heavy.
    The combination of the wood not being swamp ash - most likely a heavy species of Ash (such as northern ash), with the fact that the body isnt chambered, can only make for a heavy guitar.
    As stated earlier in the thread, the filosofy of true blackmachine guitars is to let the wood speak for itself, which in this guitar most definitely won't be the case :lol:.
    A realistic expectation? I'd say that its going to weigh 3.8kg or more.

3. Deadnightshade

Deadnightshade U gonna eat that?

Knock-offs are meant from the get-go to be cheaper and inferior compared to the original. Replicas are supposed to copy at the best detail possible (if that's the end purpose) and compete quality-wise with the original, most likely with a lower price, but retaining better materials and workmanship than a knockoff. The line is blurred when a knock-off or replica is sold at an original's price and also being advertized as such, something that happens more often when the owner resells -intentionally or not-, close to the original's price.

Most chinese knockoffs are cheaper due to cheaper materials, labour, and less experience/training for the average worker. The latter seems to change the past years though for overseas factories.

If the thickness is close to a blackmachine, don't worry. Dense woods become a problem only when dealing with full-size thickness in my experience.

4. mortbopet

mortbopet I forgot

Hmm...
    based on my complete lack of knowledge of Blackmachines, wouldn't this guitar be way thicker than a real blackmachine?
    [​IMG]

5. Deadnightshade

Deadnightshade U gonna eat that?

Well it's not that thin, but it's not a les paul either, so still you'll be fine I believe.

6. wannabguitarist

wannabguitarist Contributor

That's pretty metal.

flint757 likes this.
  7. psycle_1

psycle_1 SS.org Regular

Subscribed. Interested to see how this turns out.

8. cubix

cubix Spring of 86

Kinda get what You're saying, but if getting a real deal expensive guitar is "snobbish" than buying a fake is just pretending to be snobbish :rolleyes:. Just buy something similiar but not a copy and if You really want that particular one it must be for the "pretend snob" reason then :)

9. Renkenstein

Renkenstein SS.org Regular

I believe the OD on a barrel jack is 5/8". So just using that as a reference, that body thickness looks to be right at 1-5/8", which is what the 8 string BM is listed on the specs sheet on the website. It won't be as thin as the B2, B6, or B7, but it's still thinner than your average guitar...

...that is if my guestimation using the barrel jack as a size reference is correct.

***EDIT***

I'm giving advice while I'm at work, so I just had my lady measure my barrel jack recess and it's 3/4"(the threaded barrel is what's 5/8") in diameter. So yeah...that looks like it's a 1-3/4" thick body.

10. VBCheeseGrater

VBCheeseGrater not quite a shredder

I don't see the "pretend snob" deal as a requisite - but surely one could play it that way if they decided to - "hey look at my Blackmachine!!" - yes that guy would be a true wanker.

But if the OP just likes the BM's and wants a cheap/affordable one, more power to him. Even if the guitar turns out to be a wall ornament, not too much risked here.

Good luck OP looking forward to seeing this thing.

11. Prophetable

Prophetable Prophet For Profit

I'm not saying that buying an expensive guitar is snobbish.

I'm saying that the people crying about his curiosity and turning their noses up at a guitar because it's cheap are snobbish.

12. Neilzord

Neilzord .Metal.

Can't wait to see how this turns out! Look forward to the NGD pics and review!

13. manu80

manu80 Jackson for life !

so you can have the 6 string version with the blue burl finish? change the chrome parts for black etc? mmmm. I'm thinking...;)

14. mortbopet

mortbopet I forgot

Well that's the plan. I have yet no way of knowing whether or not they are going to follow the instructions!
    I'm eagerly awaiting some build pictures, but the seller has no definite answer on when they will be available, other than "ASAP".

15. cubix

cubix Spring of 86

Yes but I still don't think there is an explanation for buying a fake where You have so many guitars to choose from these days. I would understand if it was some specific set of features that You need that this instrument has, but You can't afford it, but that also doesn't explain why You would copy the looks exactly unless You just want to brag and don't want to spend the money. That's actually worse than "turning your nose up at a guitar".

16. Prophetable

Prophetable Prophet For Profit

Why does wanting a specific aesthetic automatically mean he's trying to brag about it?

17. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

I think what he's saying is that in this case it's all but guaranteed the guitar won't play well (or as well as something you could buy from GC), but it will look like an expensive guitar. Since the fundamental nature of a guitar is to played, it's weird to have low expectations for its performance in that department, but want it to resemble a guitar that is known for playing exceptionally well. Then he's just copying looks for looks sake, and sacrificing quality. That's OK, but it's just not what we would typically think of for priorities in a guitar purchase.

18. MaxAidingAres

MaxAidingAres SS.org Regular

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duKz8fAr_Pk

Did a little digging and found this youtube video where a guy uses a Chinese blackmachine copy/fake. (30 seconds into the video) he even replied to a comment saying it wasn't too bad but you never know.

19. Le Jeff

Le Jeff SS.org Regular

I'm confused... What's "fake" about a guitar with strings that you can plug in and play? Is it a BM? No. Is it still a guitar? Uh, yeah...

So the dude wants to cop the BM vibe at Squier prices, so what? Will it arrive badly setup and barely playable? Good possibility. Will a trip to a competent tech leave him with a serviceable axe? Chances are good.

Frankly I don't understand why BM is so highly praised in the first place. Doug picks his materials carefully and the builds a super-basic axe which he charges an arm and a leg for. I want some visual representation of my investment when I buy a guitar and no BM is going to give me that. All I'd hear is "you paid how much for that? It doesn't even look finished". At least OP is only paying about as much as a BM looks like it's worth in the first place /joke

YMMV

20. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Well, that's just it - the Blackmachine is supposed to be a guitar essentially stripped of all the eye candy, and all the effort in making it is put into good woods and attention to detail so it plays really well. So it's weird to want a copy of it where those things are not paid attention to. Then you end up with a guitar that doesn't have a lot of fancy looks PLUS it doesn't play well.