Children of Bodom Megathread

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Black Mamba, Sep 23, 2012.

1. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

That's a great idea!! I thought some of them were a little slower than they should be.

2. I Voyager

I Voyager Long Island. Extinction A.D.

It could be because I really haven't been paying attention the last few records, but I think Hexed is the best thing they've done in a whiiiile. Real fun record.

3. works0fheart

works0fheart Tike Myson

I think that's what it is for me as well. I lost interest somewhere around Blooddrunk and just kind of never came back to them. During that time the band became, to me, what sounded too Americanized (I think from getting exposure over here around the time of HCDR or Are You Dead Yet? and touring with bands like Lamb of God, who are, with no disrespect intended, not as interesting of a band) and their live performances started becoming more and more shitty. There was a couple of years that Alexi became super sloppy live and with mediocre music going hand in hand with half-assed live shows I lost interest in what was once a favorite band of mine. It seemed they were having an identity crisis and Alexi was almost ashamed of the cheesy power-metal/neo-classical type of sound that they'd perfected and wanted to head in a more traditional route. I think they lost a lot of fans during that whole run really starting with HCDR/AYDY and never really recovered from it and it seems in the last few years they've started to slowly realize that more and more.

I think this record is evidence that they're actively trying to go back in the right direction, but they still aren't there yet completely. Honestly, that's fine though because for what it's worth, I went into this record with no expectations other than just hearing it as a new album and not specifically a "Children of Bodom who wrote Hatebreeder" album (if that makes sense) and I can at least say it's got some neat melodies and ideas here and there.

I see a lot of this attitude from people that get too hung up on bands staying the same from record to record and it's just setting yourself up for disappointment. Not to say that there aren't some bands who've managed to improve over the course of releases (Kalmah comes to mind even though They Will Return is still my favorite album by them) but to expect that from every band just isn't realistic.

TL;DR - Just listen to this album for what it is and try not compare it to the old stuff too much.

feilong29 likes this.
  4. NotDonVito

NotDonVito ouch!

Some of you may have heard this pre-Hatebreeder TDE already, but the reason I am posting it, is that I am beginning to wonder who wrote the main/intro melody as of late. 99% sure it was Alexi's idea, just sounds like the type of notes he was into around this time, but the song that Towards Dead End is based off (Homeland II) has dual writing credits with Laiho and Pirisjoki, the band's original keyboard player. What I'm thinking is that Alexi wrote the song for the most part, but the idea to make it an ambient acoustic track with the keyboards layered underneath came from Pirisjoki, if that makes any sense. It's also one of the band's few songs with shared writing credits, the only other examples being Bastards of Bodom and Lobodomy where Kim Goss helped with the lyrics or some shit. Their first 2 demos also had shared writing credits, specifically for the lyrics.

[​IMG]

5. NotDonVito

NotDonVito ouch!

Enjoy Alexi 'Wildchild" Laiho shopping at Ikea.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
    Blytheryn and Kaura like this.
  6. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Wow, I would've never thought those demos were recorded at Astia Studio :eek: Which is one of the most famous recording studios in Finland these days. And I guess the only one that does analog recording, on tape, these days. It's grown "a bit" since that shitty quality :lol:

7. NotDonVito

NotDonVito ouch!

I’m just going to leave this here. :deathm:

What a rare fucking treat this is, or at least I’ve never seen it before.

Also I thought this was cool, (@ 1:00). Apparently Chuck was into Something Wild back in the day!

8. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

Lmfao. The mention of Thor is hilarious because I'm watching Zombie Nightmare.

The906 likes this.
  9. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

It's awesome to see them playing Sinergy material. They look so young there.

Cool that Chuck still checked out new metal bands that late in his career. A lot of guys say they are kind of burnt out by then and don't keep up with anything knew anymore. No surprise Bodom's blend of power and death metal caught his attention. It was such a new style at the time.

10. NotDonVito

NotDonVito ouch!

Another cool old clinic video featuring Marco before he was in Nightwish.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
  11. Kaura

Kaura Squier 4 lyfe

I think Roope said before the song something like; "Okay, so this is a mega secret song..." and Marco continues "it has my riff, Alexi's verse, Kimi's (whoever that is) chorus and Roope's piece". So I think that's just something they wrote for the occasion or for some side project that never happened.

12. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

Kim was married to Alexi, I think. The tattoo ring on his finger...

13. Kaura

Kaura Squier 4 lyfe

Ah, the good old hambeast. :lol:

NotDonVito likes this.
  14. NotDonVito

NotDonVito ouch!

Actually I think it was Sinergy - Suicide by my Side, which wasn’t out yet. edit: nvm SbmS was out when this was recorded, so maybe an unfinished song from the 4th album?? I still think it sounds similar to SbmS.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019