Children of Bodom Megathread

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Black Mamba, Sep 23, 2012.

1. Black Mamba

Black Mamba SS.org Regular

Since there is no megathread for the Hate Crew, I thought I'd start one.

From Bodom's facebook:

"Namaste!

Sorry for not updating recently. I try to change this. I have been very busy both at home and work. We have some songs ready and I must say that they really sound great, very inspiring, dark and also little blackish. We have been joking about Alexi that one day he will come to rehearsals with corpse paints :) ! So dark the songs have been.
    Nice autumn to everybody and be very surprised in October!
    Jaska"

Maybe they are going back to the Something Wild/Hatebreeder sound?

Anyway, I can't wait for the new album. :hbang:

Alberto7, vhmetalx, Sang-Drax and 3 others like this.
  2. JosephAOI

JosephAOI Thinks Jazz = Metal

I used to love this band more than anything but after Reckless, Relentless, Forever I just lost my taste for them. I was too burnt out on their old stuff and that album blew.

They're all fantastic musicians though!

3. theleem

theleem SS.org Regular

Man, I sure hope they're going back to their early stuff. I just kinda lost interest in them after their last album. I mean I'll listen to Something Wild every now and then, but other than that I've kinda given up on them.

Here's to hoping they get back to what worked for them!

4. yellowv

yellowv Turd Ferguson Contributor

Doubt this thread will become a megathread. Not too much love here for COB anymore. I still like em, but not nearly as much as the old days.

5. Don Vito

Don Vito SS.org Regular

I think I'm going to cry if it comes out how I'm imagining, but it probably won't. I don't care, I'll listen to it anyway.

I hope it sounds like this :flame:

6. Exit Existence

Exit Existence SS.org Regular

lol Even the COB's own forum is a grave yard. The Guitar Player's Thread there used to be hoppin and now it gets like one post a month, I don't even check it anymore. Used to dig them a lot but they've just been a disappointment over the last 7 years. Last album was okay but nothing real memorable, they have no "wow" factor IMO. I hung out with the band a few times and it seems that most of them are kind of burnt out and just riding things out nowadays

7. Don Vito

Don Vito SS.org Regular

(__Joonas__)

that is all

8. SuperMutant

SuperMutant Banned

They might as well become a metalcore band so they can suck even more. I never got the hype with this band, SO many bands do what they do better yet their still so popular? Their first 3 albums were good but honestly everything after is meh. I almost died laughing when I saw a poll where alexi was voted the best metal guitarist in the world.

BlackMastodon and Curt like this.
  9. BornToLooze

BornToLooze SS.org Regular

I hope on the new album Roope does more solos. He's a better player than Alexi anyways.

10. m3l-mrq3z

m3l-mrq3z Banned

Overrated band.

11. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

There was a megathread a while back but agreed, the interest in the band has generally died down after Hate Crew Deathroll. I didn't mind the good bits of Are You Dead Yet? but to me that's where the signs of going in a different direction were apparent. The went from neoclasssical shred/black/metal to jumpdafuckup from there... :(

12. cronux

cronux SS.org Regular

everything up to follow the reaper (even that album) is :metal:

everything after that is just :noplease:

13. JosephAOI

JosephAOI Thinks Jazz = Metal

I dunno why everyone bashed on AYDY and Blooddrunk, I fucking loved those albums when I was into COB :shrug:

14. Dan

Dan Senior Member

+1. For Are You Dead Yet? Anyway. I think they were establishing a new sound with that album and because everyone kicked off saying it didnt sound anything like old Bodom they tried to hard with the albums after that to get back to their grass roots. I think if they had carried on with the sounds they were making on AYDY then they would still have something somewhat interesting to listen to.

I'll hold judgement till i hear the new material but every single album has dissapointed me after AYDY.

15. sleepy502

sleepy502 SS.org Regular

Something Wild through Hate Crew Deathroll are albums I point out to people who want to get into metal more. Great albums. If I had to choose one album to recommend from them its Follow the Reaper.

Anything after HCD is a joke.

16. ChronicConsumer

ChronicConsumer SS.org Regular

Children of Bodom was the band that got me into metal with their first couple of cds. Are you dead yet is sort of where I lost interest. Some songs on that album are good, but anything after that.. I just can't be bothered. I've heard it all before.

Having said that.. learning stuff from like, Follow the Reaper has been excellent for my lead playing! :)

17. Fat-Elf

Fat-Elf Banned

Overrated? :squint: Okay, their last 2 albums are just meh, but AYDY? had some good songs and everything before that is just epic. Also you can't deny the fact that at least technically Alexi is very good player. All those "best guitarist ever" polls are just stupid and you shouldn't care about them. In fact, all music polls are retarded as shit as music is subjective as it gets. Maybe like a "fan's favorite" poll would make sense but if bunch of kids vote Alexi as the best player in the world doesn't mean he is because no-one else just bothered to vote their favorites.

18. Ghoul-7

Ghoul-7 Well-Known Member

(Rant alert:realmad:)

I hate it how here in Finland metal means COB and ACDC, that´'s just so stupid:squint:. You only see people with COB shirts here ,no one has any other band merch. Every guitar player in Finland is also: Alexi=GOD!!1!1!! I never quite fancied them, but this makes me dislike them even more :noplease:

19. flow

flow >know

cob sux now. they were good once, but that was long ago

20. Ghoul-7

Ghoul-7 Well-Known Member

Lol this megathread just turned into a "bash Bodom" thread.