Children of Bodom/Bodom after Midnight Megathread (RIP Alexi)

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Black Mamba, Sep 23, 2012.

1. MFB

MFB Banned

Is anyone really using the JVM410 besides Alexi? Maybe it's used more in genres that I don't really delve into, if they're as midheavy as suggested seems like they're more for traditional heavy/hard rock.

I might also be mixing it up with the Mode 4, as I always recall there's a Marshall somethingorother-4 that everyone used to shit on.

2. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

Lee Jackson did an interview (can't find it, it was from over a decade ago when I read it), and he stated the EQ worked more like a Fender, and he was told to change it so it was more "Marshall" esque in terms of how the EQ worked. He also seemed sorta upset or bitter (whatever you wanna call it) that the ADA-1 basically killed his business (for the GP1000 at least). He didn't have anything nice to say about he ADA-1.

3. Spaced Out Ace

They couldn't just add a mid shift button to cover both? I mean, doesn't the JCM2000 DSL have a mid shift button?

4. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands SS.org Regular

They eventually added that to the 410JS. On the 410JS, the 2 OD channels are clones of each other, but they added the mid shift button. Also IIRC the tone shift button on the DSL is just a glorified mid scoop. On the JS it shifts the mids to a different frequency.

Spaced Out Ace likes this.
  5. ArtDecade

ArtDecade John Bohlinger's Dank Stash

The tone stack was always a basic Fender tone stack with his added mid-shift switch. The tone stacks in the original GP-1000s and the last ones are all the same. It is simply a Deluxe - that is why cats like Holdsworth dug it. Then, Zakk and the metal guys wanted more gain, but he never changed the stack - just the gain staging. That said, ADA did kill off his business because you no longer needed a bunch of GP-1000s and a Bradshaw switcher to change tones.

From: https://www.premierguitar.com/gear/gp-1000-inside-the-design-of-lee-jacksons-rack-preamp

Speaking of making the most of available gain stages, a Marshall-type cathode follower tone circuit was not employed. Was this to save gain stages or in order to be more faithful to a Fender circuit? Or was it something else?

LJ: I have found that every circuit changes the sound. I really liked the way the Fender tone circuit sounded in the GP-1000, and I didn't want to change it.

6. Ataraxia2320

Ataraxia2320 SS.org Regular

Depends. Dimebag guitars seem to be going up in value. I've been trying to get a USA or even Korean Washburn Dime for a reasonable price for like 3 years now to no avail.

The Korean stuff is usually priced around 1.5k when they were like 300 - 500 bucks new. The USA stuff is getting insane money.

7. works0fheart

works0fheart Tike Myson

Unfortunately the original white scythe got destroyed years ago. He got a replacement which he sanded the neck down on, but the old Tuska '03 era one is gone. He mentions it here.

I agree though, I would love to see all of his old gear in a museum instead of ending up with some random person, but it seems like whoever is in charge of his estate is cannibalizing all of his stuff, which is very sad. Hell, even his car collection would be cool to see.

8. MFB

MFB Banned

Oh shit, that's right, I remember seeing that interview and I totally forgot about it until he said "threw" and it all came rushing back. I did forget he had the white V with the full black bevels and sawteeth, but I don't recall seeing that until a little bit later, so I think Scythe is still the OG white V in his collection.

9. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

Well if it ended up at Essex Recording Studio it'd be great because it'd enable all of these young musicians or fans to get hands-on with these legendary instruments.

Lol, Just kidding! You'll be able to check it out in their $150k Reverb listing though.

Ivars V, Lorcan Ward and Blytheryn like this.
  10. mastapimp

mastapimp SS.org Regular

Depends on if they keep the gear in production. Your example is stuff that will never be made again. Dean is still putting out dimebag gear. Are the Dean guitars more popular now than right after his death? Are they commanding insane prices?

11. works0fheart

works0fheart Tike Myson

Yeah, the white with the solid black lines and sawteeth was his first model released. The initial 2 that he received from ESP though were the CKY guitar and the original Scythe with the meh upper fret access (a deeper cutaway was added to his guitars later) and tummy-cut. I wanted that guitar for years lol. I may try to snag one someday when/if prices go down.

12. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

Whoever is selling it isn't waiting around. I'm not sure what Finnish Inheritance Taxes are like but you get absolutely screwed here in Ireland that you have to start selling what you got just to pay for it. I and I'm sure countless other fans would gladly contribute money to buy up all this gear for a museum.

Ataraxia2320 likes this.
  13. Ataraxia2320

Ataraxia2320 SS.org Regular

Fair point.

14. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

AFAIK inheritance tax is a bitch here too, but the tax administration is quite flexible with payments so I don't really think anyone would be directly screwed as a result of inheriting stuff. You could potentially be in debt for a long time though.

15. Spaced Out Ace

Yeah, that's always awesome. Government seriously can't do anything without fucking it up.

"Hey, uh, yeah... I know you're probably devastated, losing your family member, loved one, friend, etc., and are likely in hock for thousands of dollars for the funeral, but we just thought you should know that you owe us a shit ton of money. Enjoy the debt for something that was unavoidable. ...Oh, you don't want to pay our inheritance tax? That's fine, we'll just steal shit from you instead."

Seriously, the government has the opposite of the Midas touch, because everything they put their grubby paws on turns to shit. Fuck them. And it is weird how regardless of what country the government originates, they all seem to be pretty garbage.

Boris_VTR likes this.
  16. NotDonVito

NotDonVito molesta la breastas

1. Alexander comes out of hiding

2. I just heard a leak of the EP, and holy balls if I wasn't already upset at Alexi's sudden passing, the other original track on the EP is like 3x more badass than the title track. Such a damn shame.

17. Alberto7

Alberto7 Silly Goose Engineering

What a wholesome man, he sounds like. That's probably my favorite interview given in recent years by any of the CoB crew. I guess that's partially because he's actually able to articulate thoughts into words properly :lol: or at least has nothing to hide and can speak frankly. And it really made me all warm and fuzzy when he mentioned he's teaching full time to kids with disabilities as well.

I'm pretty interested to follow his future work now.

18. Jarmake

Jarmake Frost Giant

It's nice seeing Kuoppala after so long... I have always liked him more (as a guitarist in bodom) than Roope or Daniel.

p0ke and feilong29 like this.
  19. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Same here, I always thought he was the perfect rhythm player to complement Alexi.

... Oh and my pre-order of Paint The Sky With Blood arrived. Can't wait to listen to it!

Last edited: Apr 22, 2021
    feilong29 likes this.
  20. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Oh man, this is awesome... Incredibly sad there won't be any more of this stuff :'(
    Both the original songs had a kind of Halo of Blood vibe though, IMO. But that's fine since it's my favorite post-AYDY CoB album. The keyboard sounds feel quite different from what they used in CoB, so that's definitely refreshing.

By the way, I'm wondering if these lyrics are designated to "a certain someone", particularly the first verse:

Last edited: Apr 22, 2021
    NotDonVito likes this.