Children of Bodom/Bodom after Midnight Megathread (RIP Alexi)

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Black Mamba, Sep 23, 2012.

1. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Yep, I edited my post to add a couple of pics of my MMV. It was mostly a pretty decent guitar. And yeah as you can see in the pics it had the "proper pinstripes". There were two colors, the one I had and then the inverse colors, so basically the same as Alexi had in the beginning.

Yup! Back then we always used to joke that for example the Harley Bentons were only suited for heating the sauna with, and even then you'd get really bad löyly, but these days even those are pretty good.

2. mastapimp

mastapimp SS.org Regular

I'm disagreeing with you here. COB may have been influential here and to the extreme metal community, but the Alexi sigs aren't moving the most units and he's not their most popular artist, at least not in the states. V guitars are already at a disadvantage as they appeal to fewer players. I can see them continuing the line within the short term, but giving them the dimebag treatment doesn't seem likely or in their style.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2021
  3. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Well goddamn it :lol: Went to look how the later MMV's looked and now I'm gassing like fuck for one :lol: The latest one apparently is MMV-09FE and it looks pretty much like I could've designed it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Alberto7

Alberto7 Silly Goose Engineering

Yo this is pretty dope! Love the red pinstripes, and I'm digging the reverse shark tooth inlays too. I know some of these came with bolt on necks, do you know if this one also had a bolt on?

5. Jarmake

Jarmake Frost Giant

No, these were either set through or neck through. They stopped making them bolt on in '05, if I am not mistaken.

Alberto7 likes this.
  6. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Yup! Red is favorite color, so I love those stripes too. And the shark tooths look better than the arrows on the previous ones too, IMO.

There was no picture of the neck joint, but my MMV from 2005 had a glued on neck (with a really big and thick joint), so I'm asuming the later ones also had that or better. The 07 model had this:

[​IMG]

I think the '05 string through model (MMV-BO) had a bolt on neck, but I'm not sure.

Oh and this where I found that MMV-09FE:

https://www.konkurssihuutokauppa.fi...pa/2159/uusi-sahkokitara-esp-mmv-09fe-kohde-1

Last edited: Mar 14, 2021
    Masoo2, Alberto7 and works0fheart like this.
  7. works0fheart

works0fheart Tike Myson

Man, some guitars just have a beautiful back profile and that's certainly one of the first ones to come to mind when I think of it. I wish his other guitars had that tummy contour to them. I have two of his models (blacky and sawtooth) and I've always really liked the white one the most just because of how clean and simplistic it looks but also that contour is so damned good looking. I wonder why he shyed away from it with his later models.

Alberto7 likes this.
  8. Alberto7

The belly cut not only looks great, but it's also very functional.

ESP is weird about a couple of features on the Alexi sigs: the belly cut and edge bevels on the back side. My 2006/7 LTD Alexi-600 (black and white one) did not have any features on the back, at all. It had no belly cut (that I remember), it had no stripes, and it also had a completely flat back; no bevels.

I've seen those features vary quite a bit from year to year and with each Alexi model. I'm not sure if the Edwards and E-IIs are the same, but I believe they all have the belly cuts and bevels.

My Edwards Scythe fixed every single problem that lead me to sell my LTD. Other than the obvious ergonomic challenges of the V shape, it is a considerably comfortable guitar. Lightning fast.

9. Alberto7

Good stuff. I really don't like how the bolt on neck looks on these. It's the main reason I don't like the Alexi-200, which I think is otherwise a great axe.

10. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Well, Alexi didn't have a belly, so... :lol: The stripes and bevels on the back though, I don't understand...

Alberto7 likes this.
  11. works0fheart

works0fheart Tike Myson

Wouldn't that be more reason to have it though? As a skinny guy I hate having my guitar pressed up against my ribs when it's super rigid edges like that lol

12. Alberto7

Hey, I've been skinny as shit my entire life :lol: though my 30s are, very slowly but noticeably, starting to change that... :ugh:

Belly cuts have always been a must for me. As much as I like classical and hollow body guitars, the lack of body ergonomics is the reason I've always felt a bit awkward with them.

13. Exit Existence

Exit Existence SS.org Regular

Man I should have picked up an Alexi sig when they were reasonable and abundant lol Now it feels like everyone is hunting one.

Also it sucks big time living in the states and only having those stupid modified copyright AL shapes floating around. Even if a LTD scythe popped up, it just wouldn't feel right to me without the normal RR shape

14. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Yeah, I guess you're right :lol:

15. TheBolivianSniper

TheBolivianSniper SS.org Regular

Yeah I seriously hate that, I think it's why I'm playing my C1 and Avenger more than my Mockingbird, they both have huge cuts in the back and the super carved top on the C1 is fabulous.

16. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Oh shit, I may have gotten lucky! Back when I mentioned my GAS for a Laiho model guitar, I posted a "want to buy or trade" ad on a local musical instrument marketplace for one of those MMV models, and today a guy sent me an email about one! Yellow pinstripes, neck through, ... everything I wanted! Well, the red pinstripes would've been even more preferable, but let's not start nitpicking :lol:
    And he even lives about 50km from me so I could just drive there to get it.

Now I'm just hoping he'll be willing to trade my Jackson DK2 for it, because I really don't have any money to spare. All fingers and toes etc. crossed!

Mathemagician and Alberto7 like this.
  17. Alberto7

Nice! Just put it on credit and sell all other gear you own... :D

... jk, don't do that. :ugh: But hopefully, if you really want it, you could sell something else to finance it.

18. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Yeah, we'll see. He also posted the guitar on said marketplace, and in his ad he mentioned wanting to trade it for a superstrat of some kind, so the DK2 just might hit the spot there. He's also only asking 220€ for it, so I could just buy it outright, but then I'll basically have that much less for food next month. If my money was all mine so to speak, I'd do it in a heartbeat, but since I gotta provide for the whole family, I'd prefer not to.

But like I said, let's hope the trade works out :)

Alberto7 likes this.
  19. Alberto7

Crossing my fingers for you man. I've never played one of those MMVs, but I can't imagine they are much different from the main lines, and it seems like a hell of a deal for what is actually a pretty rare and sweet guitar!

Keep us posted.

p0ke likes this.
  20. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Score! I ended up having to pay 50€ in between, because turns out what I thought was a DK2 was an MIJ JS20 and therefore not quite the same value, but damn, I'm stoked AF! It's a got a bunch of dings but nothing that will affect playing. Also the whammy bar is missing all together, but I think I have a spare one somewhere...
    Gave it a quick try and damn... I went straight into Sinergy-land riff wise and could've gone on for hours but unfortunately I have to work :wallbash:

Gotta make an NGD thread once I get to play it properly.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 22, 2021