Children of Bodom/Bodom after Midnight Megathread (RIP Alexi)

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Black Mamba, Sep 23, 2012.

1. works0fheart

works0fheart Tike Myson

It could go either way. An ESP staff member has stated on their site they'll be making an announcement soon in regards to the future of the Alexi line so we'll see.

I don't want to get my hopes up either but ESP would be incredibly stupid to see the skyrocketing prices of his back catalog of guitars and NOT put something out. I'd really like to see that Purple one become a retail model.

2. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands SS.org Regular

Someone from ESP said they are planning something, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's the 2 violet models he had before he died.

Also you gotta remember it's only been like 3 months since he died. It caught everyone off guard. Also they probably planned on giving Alexi more time with the guitar befor they made a final decision, and of course his sudden death probably screwed all that up

I'm also imagining the legal issue of royalties would mess things up. Figuring out who the royalty payments go to for using Alexi's name, given... the shitstorms we've been seeing since his death.

Alberto7 and works0fheart like this.
  3. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

Which is the main reason she's even bothering, because she is a nobody.

HeHasTheJazzHands likes this.
  4. Alberto7

Alberto7 Silly Goose Engineering

I figure this is probably the exact scenario that they find themselves in presently. Planning out new products and keeping an inventory can be a nightmare, even more so if someone throws a wrench the size of Jupiter in your plans. (Alexi dying + ensuing legal drama, etc)

HeHasTheJazzHands likes this.
  5. NoodleFace

NoodleFace Delicious Noodles

If I were ESP I would totally not make any new models, I might even discontinue the line. With Alexi dead, would the money go to Kim? Or his family? If ESP were smart they'd just immortalize him by retiring the line.

Blytheryn likes this.
  6. HeHasTheJazzHands

Id only be fine with this if ESP re releases the SV as a full production model.

setsuna7, Masoo2, Alberto7 and 3 others like this.
  7. feilong29

feilong29 SS.org Regular

8. HeHasTheJazzHands

Did more thinking about it, and yeah. If it turns out that Kim does become the heir to Alexi's estate, then I definitely wouldn't mind ESP discontinuing the line and doing a psuedo sig like Jackson did with the mid-2000s RR24. Re-release the SV under the E-II and LTD line and throw in both a dual-pickup and single single-pickup SV be the not-really Alexi sig model.

9. HeHasTheJazzHands

Yeah I know. But if push comes to shove I'd love to see the SV back in the US, along with an LTD model. ESP did a VERY brief LTD SV that wasn't an Alexi and IIRC they only made a couple. I think it was called the MMV.

feilong29 likes this.
  10. Alberto7

Alberto7 Silly Goose Engineering

This would actually be a pretty sweet move. I so wish we could get it in North America/Europe(?); I considered hunting one down from Japan instead of the Alexi. I'd consider getting an SV with the Japanese design (i.e. shorter lower fin) in the future.

But also, the Alexi line seems to only be discontinued in North America. They're still making them in Japan under all brand names. (except LTD, of course) Even Musamaailma in Finland posted on their Instagram that they are getting a few more batches of the Edwards Blacky throughout this year.

11. works0fheart

works0fheart Tike Myson

I could be wrong but I've heard that the Edwards guitars are made to order sort of?

Either way, I really don't see them discontinuing the line. They'll probably do a Dean and release a ton of his past models or spinoffs.

Not that I'm against this. The guy was one of ESP's biggest names as far as moving models, if not the biggest.

I don't really want to get into the whole family feud that's going on with his estate, and I really don't think that should affect his product line personally. I know there's a lot of hate for Kim but Kelli has proven to be no better in this situation so I really don't care which of the two ends up the heir to his things. From what it sounds like at least half will go to his direct family (mom, dad, sister) and I'm more than fine with that.

With that being said, there's going to be a ton of angry/confused fans if they actually discontinue his models and it will be one of the biggest missed opportunities a guitar company could make, and I'm sure ESP knows that.

12. HeHasTheJazzHands

Yeeeah this is true. I imagine the average COB fan isn't privy to the drama, and ESP wouldn't be as well. It's just like a worst case scenario I thought about. Like I said earlier, I think they still are trying to figure out the legal matters of who gets the royalties on top of just finalizing the designs of the new sig.

works0fheart likes this.
  13. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

You'd be surprised. Most company A&R teams are very active, if not vocal, on social media, and some even have staff devoted just to lurk the net for artist information and drama.

That said, these companies tend to work in thier own interests, so they'll make some weird calls if it means making a buck vs. "doing the right thing" whatever that means.

Spaced Out Ace likes this.
  14. feilong29

feilong29 SS.org Regular

Ya, Big Boss Tokyo has limited stock for immediate delivery and the rest are made to order. I think the wait is about 8 months. Seems all the Edwards are made to order at the moment: https://bigboss.jp/store/products/list?category_id=410

15. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

Lmfao.

16. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

AFAIK the MMV was a Finland-only model, and I don't know how brief it was but at some point every one and their dog seemed to have one over here :lol: Myself included. I'd still have if it hadn't burned. The name kinda hints that the Finnish importer Musamaailma might've been behind the whole thing (MMV -> MusaMaailma V), could of course mean something completely different too..

17. Jarmake

Jarmake Frost Giant

I had one of those musamaailma V's in '04. Bought it from musiikki kullas in oulu and it cost 666 euros.

Rosewood fretboard, 24 frets, arrowhead inlays (except for the 12th fret "mmv-04" inlay), bolt on (block heel) maple neck, basswood body, duncan designed pups, a shitty floyd made out of aluminum foil and dental floss. A shitty guitar all in all. But still I enjoyed playing the shit out of it and it was so damn cool for a Alexi-fanboy like me.

The floyd's saddles threads stripped if you looked it too angrily and I had to tap all the saddles one by one and replace the screws with bigger ones.

Good times!

Here's a snippet (or three) from the past, Bodom's gig at Lepakko in '99.

Masoo2 and Boris_VTR like this.
  18. works0fheart

works0fheart Tike Myson

No elaboration, this is all we get?

19. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Ah, you had this one then?

[​IMG]

I cut that picture out of the Musamaailma catalogue in 2004 :lol: And because it's been sitting in my band pictures glass thingy ever since, it's still intact. I think there was also a model without those pinstripes.

I ended up buying next years' model, which AFAIK was superior in almost every way - the Floyd was a bit tougher stuff and the pickups were EMG HZ-H4's. It had a set neck as well, though the joint was pretty much as big and thick as a typical bolt on heel... And it was cheaper too, mine cost 549€ (I bought mine from Sound City in Pori, but I recall at least Musamaailma in Helsinki and Musiikki Malmsten in Rauma listing it for the same price, also they all had the same 666€ price on the -04 model).
    It was called the MMV-SN, then there was another with string through body that cost only 399€, not sure what that was called , it was called MMV-BO.

Here's a couple of pics of me playing it ('06 and '07) :

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 12, 2021
    Masoo2 and Alberto7 like this.
  20. Jarmake

Jarmake Frost Giant

Yep, that's the one! There was also the cream-ish white one with black "pinstripes" or whatever they should be called. The next years model was better indeed and I think it had proper pinstripes instead of those fat colored in ones? Or maybe it was later model. In '07 you could get mmv-07f if I remember correctly and it had set through neckjoint. Anyway...

It's not even funny how much cheap guitars are better now compared to the early 00's! You get a hell lot of a better instrument for 666 euros these days. And it's a damn good thing, too!