Children of Bodom/Bodom after Midnight Megathread (RIP Alexi)

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Black Mamba, Sep 23, 2012.

1. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands SS.org Regular

Yep I remember one of those interviews. He did take a break after being fired but apparently pulled out some of his Les Pauls (which he didn't seem to get rid of) and started playing again.

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/e...-stabbed-in-the-back-by-his-former-bandmates/

He probably sold some guitars (Probably some CoB-era ESPs, wouldn't blame him. Din did the same thing when he broke up FF) but I'm guessing kept a lot of his older guitrs.

aesthyrian and Spaced Out Ace like this.
  2. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace $$60,000,000,000

I was just going by what someone in the thread had just stated. Glad to see he just thinned the herd, rather than completely gave up on music. Maybe he'll be able to find something to do as a bit of a hobby music wise. That would be nice.

3. X1X

X1X SS.org Regular

Ok, let's go:

aesthyrian and Alberto7 like this.
  4. Alberto7

Alberto7 Silly Goose Engineering

Thanks for the link!
    That was kinda hard to watch. Hard to understand what he's saying, but he also looks/sounds depressed af, probably drunk as hell, too. Not much new here though, same story as always.
    Hope he makes a comeback at some point. All that talent sitting there raking leaves and drinking beer all the time doesn't sound fair.
    At least he still has his dark sense of humor!

5. ArtDecade

ArtDecade John Bohlinger's Dank Stash

The only place we are going is an intervention to get him into rehab.

Alberto7 likes this.
  6. MFB

MFB Banned

Man, I'll have to put that on my radar to listen to, but it sounds like it'll be a rough time. I can't imagine he's in the best of shape given everything that happened and that he was a drinker before getting fired.

aesthyrian likes this.
  7. Alberto7

Alberto7 Silly Goose Engineering

I know there's the thread of Alexi's death that's also actively talking about these, but it felt more appropriate to post here.

BAM's FB page posted these a while ago, and I wonder if these are only for Finland/Japan or if these are also for the North American market:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The reason I wonder is because they have the shorter lower fin. Also, I find it odd how the LTD models have the back painted exactly like the front, but on the more expensive ESP and E-II versions they seem to have gone with a black paintjob for the back.

Also wondering if the difference in hue seen above between the ESP and E-II versions is just an image processing error.

In any case, I am really stoked for these. I was contemplating getting perhaps a Strandberg 8, or an EBMM JP, but now with these out... I'm unsure and impatient! :lol:

8. Kaura

Kaura evanesencensencenenist

@Alberto7 Anderson's just uploaded an unboxing video so I guess it's safe to assume a few will land in US.

9. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Isn't Andertons in the UK though?

10. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

It's really disheartening to see him like that. While he didn't get to write much in Bodom he was heavily involved in Sinergy and had the talent to move onto a new band playing death/power metal mixed with Stone. Getting fired hit him really hard.

feilong29 and Captain Shoggoth like this.
  11. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire \[T]/

axe palace and chondro in the usa confirmed we'd be getting all the models.

12. Kaura

Kaura evanesencensencenenist

Yes, but that rules out the "Finland/Japan only" theory.

p0ke likes this.
  13. MFB

MFB Banned

Mmm, I love being right on my predictions some times. I was hoping it'd be the purple ones, but I'm a bit bummed we aren't getting just the classic single pup with the white pinstripes.

Edit: just saw the other thread with all the models, contemplating the short horn version or if the LTD is fine in my stable.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2021
  14. Blytheryn

Blytheryn Musical Adam West

I just thought I’d share this if you haven’t seen it. It’s really, really good footage from the 20 Years Down and Dirty tour where they played ALL the old bangers. I saw this show in person and it blew my mind.

The guy has more uploads from that show and I can’t help but get emotional watching it. I miss this band so much.

15. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

Those angles are better quality than most professional DVDs. I was using them for transcribing recently and they were a great help.

16. Blytheryn

Blytheryn Musical Adam West

If you have and more/updated Bodom transcriptions, send them my way! I can’t get enough.

17. MFB

MFB Banned

I had mentioned it in the other thread about his signature models, but I finally got around to watching the making of "Hexed" the other night, and after spinning it for the first time today (I think I heard a rough version initially and the mix wasn't good, or maybe that's IWC?) and honestly - it's a better Bodom album than Are You Dead Yet? was. I'll say it flat out, I hear more of original Bodom in that album than I do in AYDY, which in my head more resembles how In Flames went over time. Even going from HCDR to AYDY is a bit of a "really, this is the same band?" at times which feels weird to say since all that changed was really the drop tuning (I don't believe Roope really had much input on the writing) but overall it doesn't seem like the next album they would have put out.

I need to go back and give Blooddrunk and I Worship Chaos an honest chance, is Relentless, Reckless Forever an actual album or was it just like, a compilation or something? It doesn't sound like it'd be a title like their previous albums but something you'd use for a standalone one-off thing. If it is, then that's on the list too.

18. Exit Existence

Exit Existence SS.org Regular

RRF is an actual album and It's not bad, has more of the heavy stop and go type riffs probably most similar to Are you Dead Yet.
    I worship chaos I really liked, it's definitely more melodic death metal in feel especially in the drum and guitar harmony department (Widdershins is my favorite track on that).
    I never really liked blooddrunk, it always felt like the most rushed / thrown together COB album for me.

19. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace $$60,000,000,000

Blooddrunk is probably the biggest reason I've never used Blackouts, even when I had a pair. They just make the album sound like shit.

20. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

I might be working on something :) I can say there’s a lot of Bodom songs that have never been tabbed correctly but I’ll try and fix that.

The AYDY sound roots can be traced to HCDR with songs like Sixpounder and Chokehold where they were introducing more heavy riff elements but it was a staggering jump for a band to make when only 4-5? years ago they had released an atmospheric melodeath/neoclassical album with a huge focus on keys and leads. Looking back now I find HCDR the biggest jump because of the thrash and American elements introduced but AYDY put as many fans off as it brought with dropping so much of their sound.

Roope helped co-write a few songs but he had little input in Bodom overall. I never understood why Alexi didn’t allow Roope to write and solo more when they had worked on two Sinergy albums together by that point. When I picked up AYDY I was expecting Suicide by my Side meets Follow the Reaper/Hate crew Deathroll.

Blytheryn and works0fheart like this.