Check out my new Schecter bass!!!

Discussion in 'Bass Guitar Discussion' started by Mind Riot, Oct 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mind Riot

Mind Riot Devoted seven stringer Contributor

It's a Stiletto Custom 5. Bolt on neck with six bolt joint, mahogany body with flame maple veneer on body and headstock, Grover tuners, EMG-HZ pickups, S-Tek bridge, 35" scale, looks like a five piece neck, active electronics with what seems to be a volume for each pickup and a bass and treble that affects them both.

She's certainly a looker, that's for sure. I'm just getting to know her, only played about an hour, but she needs a setup and probably some new strings. She plays great except low on the neck, where it's buzz city, especially on the low B (or A, in my case :cool:). Time for some neck relief (as near as I can tell the neck is set dead straight at the moment, no relief at all), raise the action on the low A, and intonate her.

Tone wise, there's a pleasing roundness to the tone, a very full spank that's very addictive, the more I hear it the more I want to play. Except on the low A that is, at the moment it sounds like dog crap and buzzes so bad it's almost unplayable. I can tell there's a lot of different tones to be had in the thing via the active electronics, but if I can't get this low B/A sounding a LOT better via a setup, new strings, and tweaking the electronics it's going back to GC.

She's astoundingly comfortable to play, in the pics you can see that the body sides are totally rounded off and this combined with the forearm contour and the totally ingenious bridge design just feels so good it makes me want to just keep playing and playing. The neck is fabulous, and the whole guitar, neck and body, is finished with some kind of satin sealer that just feels awesome to the touch.

The story is that I was up at the nearest GC looking to strike a deal on a new recorder. I was haggling the Pro Audio guy and he told me $950 was the lowest he could go on a Korg D1600MKII (they usually go for $1050 there). I wouldn't go for that, so I left. I came back later because I forgot I needed some new headphones and he asked me if I was still thinking about it. I told him I'd give him an even grand for the recorder and the pair of headphones I wanted (AKG K240's, $100), and he hemmed and hawed and finally gave it to me. So I got him to knock it down $150 any way you slice it. Not the deal of the century, but good enough for me, I suppose.

The side story is that when I went back the second time I wandered into the bass room before I went back to pro audio. I always check to see if they have any Schecter's because every one of them I've played I've loved. I'd been stroking and ogling the Custom 5's for the last few months. They go for $550 there, list is $769. This guy comes in who works there, and he's acually been pretty cool every time I've been there, an older guy with long hair. He says "So, you finally gonna buy that bass you've been looking at all this time?" I say "Not unless you'll give it to me for $400." He says "Well I might be able to knock off $50..." I just stare at him. He says "Let me see what I can do." He comes back a minute or five later and says he can give it to me for $450, a hundred bucks off. Not bad, I think to myself. What the hell, I've been drooling over it for months and just shy of 20% off street is not bad for a brand new bass. So I snagged it.

Felt really wierd dropping $1450 all at once in Guitar Center. I don't know what you guys' situations are all like, but for me dropping almost fifteen hundred dollars at once in a store happens like once in three lifetimes. I know I probably didn't get the best deal in the history of the world, but knocking two fiddy off what would have been $1700 ain't too bad for me. :cool:

I hope the setup and tweaking will yield better results for the low A on the bass, because I really like it otherwise. Anyway, rambling is over, now here's some pics. They're not really my best work, I took them pretty quickly when I got home a couple hours ago, but you'll definitely see what she's like. :yesway:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Does anyone else think that having individually mounted saddles for each string is the coolest thing ever? I freaking LOVE this bridge design!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pretty nice grained chunk of mahogany.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here's my nice new Korg D1600MKII 16 track recorder. I was using a Tascam 788, and it was great except I starting feeling the squeeze of only having eight tracks.
    [​IMG]

2. D-EJ915

D-EJ915 Forum MVP

Sweet, my friend has a Schecter bass and it feels awesome, just a kickass instrument.

Studio-5 is the model he has, it is just such an awesome instrument...haha.

3. Allen Garrow

Allen Garrow Famous Beaver Hunter

Sweet, I worked on 2 of those bass's last week. They had some minor structure issues and some bad pots. Super sweet bass, congrats!

~A

4. Chris

Chris Forum MVP

Beautiful. :yesway: I've been GASing for one of those for ages.

5. Naren

Naren OldschoolGhettostyle

I love 5 and 6 string basses with active pickups. You are one lucky muthah (shutcho mouth. Hey, I'm just talkin' about Mind Riot).

6. Shawn

Shawn Ibanez Guitars Forum MVP

Nice bass! :yesway:

7. a_daft_punk

a_daft_punk SS.org Regular

Very nice :)

I know what you mean about dropping large amounts of cash in music shops. Astounds me every time I come away from somewhere having spent a lot (not often lol).

Joe

8. Shannon

Shannon Lord Super Awesome Contributor

Nice, man. I was jamming on one of those basses this weekend at GC. I want one bad. :yesway:

9. Mind Riot

We can dig it!

Who's the man who won't cop out when there's danger all about? :cool:

10. Mind Riot

If you don't mind me asking, what kind of structure issues?

11. metalfiend666

metalfiend666 - Forum MVP

That's a very sweet bass! I love those individual bridge saddles too. I really fancy a 7 with those.

12. Ancestor

Ancestor Contributor

Very cool.

13. Mind Riot

UPDATE: I finally got around to tweaking the setup a tad last night. Put a little more relief in the neck (there was next to none) and raised the action on the low B, E and A strings a bit.

The difference was immediate and very good. No more buzz on the low B unless I really slam it, and no buzzing anywhere else. A very round, full, articulate sound overall, lots of personality.

There's a bit of noise from the active preamp, but I'm not sure if it's a bad pot(s) (I've heard some Schecters have bad pots) or just the noise you get from the boost of an active preamp. Have to do some research.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.