Cheapest way to record guitar in 2019?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by SSK0909, Jul 14, 2019.

1. SSK0909

SSK0909 SS.org Regular

I've just started playing guitar again after a 4,5 year break.
    Back then, I owned an Axe-fx 2. So it's been about 7-8 years since I've had to record a regular tube amp/cab, and technology has come a long way :)

I guess I could invest in a cheap interface, and use an amp sim plugin. But the Splawn Nitro I have sounds really nice, and I have a big house in the country, so volume is no issue. Maybe just a classic sm57? But I know there's also a tonne of different "direct to PC" boxes out there.

So what would you recommend? I'm just looking for something cheap. I'm not ready to sink 1000's into a home studio just yet, but I want something that gives me better recording quality than my smartphone :D

2. Cynicanal

Cynicanal SS.org Regular

Cheapest way? Scarlett 2i4 (you need the 10db pad of the 2i4, a lot of hot guitar pickups will clip without it), free LePou ampsim, free cab impulse.

A bit wasteful though of you've got a Splawn. You'll need the interface no matter what; instead of plugging your guitar into the interface, it makes as much sense to spend $80 on an SM57 and plug that into the interface, to record your high-end amp.

3. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

I thought the Axe 2 acted as an interface also, right? I'm not sure how limited it is, but if it has the capability then I would invest in an nice analog preamp within your budget, plug the mics into it and route it through the Axe 2 to the computer. Not up on the Axe programming but maybe you'd have to plug the preamp line out to the fx return of the Axe2 and then out it to the computer. I personally use the Yamaha Aw 4416 potable studio, and though it's old, it sounds great, gives many options, and is inexpensive (4-$500usd) If you're looking for something cheaper than I've heard good things about that Scarlett box mentioned above.

4. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Hey...how did everybody get in my room?

You need an interface no matter what. An sm57 is a staple mic so that’s a great way to start recording. You might eventually want to grab a complimentary mic like a 421 or the R121 if you record clean guitar or want a super thick distortion.

5. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

There's also old school stuff like Adat, tape decks, cd recorders etc tapped off a little mixer. If you're just tracking guitars and not doing editing and just recording for ideas. They are cheap and still sound good and can handle guitars no problem which could later be dropped into any daw.

- If you are wanting computer stuff get an interface, like the Scarlett or, as an all around solution check out the Yamaha MG10xu , It's a mixer that can be used live or connected to a computer via usb and has multiple inputs etc. It even comes with Cubase and is only $265usd new.

6. LeftOurEyes

LeftOurEyes SS.org Regular

Just get an interface and a two notes captor then use your splawn.

7. rexbinary

rexbinary MOD King

This, or an interface and a SM57 since volume is no issue would be the way to go. There is a SM57 bundled with a USB interface. I own it, but I've never tried it out ha!

https://www.shure.com/en-US/products/bundles/sm57-x2u

[​IMG]

8. Ed Fry

Ed Fry Member

Hi,

Just as a note, the Focusrite Scarletts do not need a pad to work with guitar, the 2nd/3rd gen interfaces have more than enough headroom if you are DI’ing guitars.

A Scarlett Solo/2i2 3rd gen with an SM57 would probably get you near to most modern recordings, provided you are able to get enough sound from the cab as the SM57 is quite an insensitive microphone, hence it is quite good for guitar.

Thanks, Ed

9. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

Two Notes stuff isn't only useful to record silently, it also sounds genuinely good. Torpedo captor/reload/studio/etc see plenty of use in studios where noise isn't an issue.
    Otherwise an SM57 into a scarlett is likely to be the cheapest possibility - that doesn't suck.