Cheapest Guitar That Won't Make Me Hate 7 Strings Forever

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by Fabxxxyyy, Oct 17, 2019.

1. Marv Attaxx

Marv Attaxx ಠ_ಠ

Try to find an old korean made RG 7321, those were great!
    I prefer the 5 piece neck compared to the 7421 or 7621 and the binding looks nice, too. Also there are many after-market parts, from pickguards to hipshot bridges etc.
    I've had mine since 2005 and despite playing live with it (and several drops) it still goes hard :agreed:

2. ThisBrokenMachine

ThisBrokenMachine Architectural Metal

I've bought a used LTD SC607B for 350€ and it's a really good guitar

Emperoff likes this.
  3. ThePIGI King

ThePIGI King Ibanez Enthusiast

Korean Ibanez is literally best bang for buck ever. Both mine stand up with my MiJ Ibbys at 1/4 price nearly.

4. Fabxxxyyy

Fabxxxyyy SS.org Regular

Do you prefer it in terms of playability or tuning stability?

5. Marv Attaxx

Marv Attaxx ಠ_ಠ

Tuning stability is pretty much the same on those (hardtail bridge and similar tuners). I haven't had a 7421 or 7621 in my hands for years but I think the profile on those had slightly less shoulders than the 7321 which makes the 7321 feel a bit thicker but in a comfortable way. The only thing where the other two are slightly better is the pickups, but I'd change those anyway on all of them.
    Just beware, both the latest version of the 7421 and 7321 (discontinued) have been made in Indonesia. Having owned Indonesian RGs I would always prefer to get a Japanese or Korean one as the QC was way better. But if you have a chance to testdrive one before purchase, I'd say go for it.

EDIT: I've just checked ebay and Korean 7321s are sold between 550 and 850 Euros :eek:
    7421/7621 pretty much the same, so I'd say get an Indo 7421 from Thomann and return it if you find any flaws.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
  6. bzhang9

bzhang9 SS.org Regular

my 3 piece skunk stripe old ass rg7420 plays better and can get lower action than my j custom 7...

skmanga likes this.
  7. Fabxxxyyy

Fabxxxyyy SS.org Regular

I have found a 2004 RG7321 MIK for 340 euros (apparently guaranteed by a shop and including S&H)... I guess I have to give it a try.

Marv Attaxx likes this.
  8. Marv Attaxx

Marv Attaxx ಠ_ಠ

Good catch! Enjoy! :)

9. fps

fps Kit

Perfect, exactly what I was going to recommend.

10. Metropolis

Metropolis SS.org Regular

Korean 7321's with 5-piece neck are good value for the money. I bought mine for around 300-350 at the time, but it got sold many years ago. And I had another indonesian one, it felt pretty much the same. More recent 7421's aren't that good when compared to those. You could also have RGD7421 which has 26,5" scale for around 350 euros.

11. jbacolyte

jbacolyte SS.org Regular

Love my JS-22 7. Hisphot bridge and locking tuners and its a nice comfy guitar. Has made my transition to being a 7 player really awesome. definitely want to swap pups though in the future.

gLOW-x likes this.
  12. gLOW-x

gLOW-x SS.org Regular

JS 32 7 is amazing. Pickups are nice to start with. 26.5 scale is very confortable and enough for a stable drop A (with the right set of strings). And even lower.
    Compound radius neck, very fast.
    I have mine for years.
    When I look at some Ibanez at the same price, they don't hold up. Especially stock pickups and bridge.
    When I searched for a 7 string, good enough Ibanez second hand where at the same price than js32 7 new.

13. Emperoff

Emperoff Hasta la vista, Baby Contributor

Just get something used that you can flip if you don't like it (such as an used Ibenez as recommended). Those things retain resale value if you end up hating 7-strings forever. Don't get an older Schecter, as their necks are quite thick. And I would advise against extended scale as well for your first seven.

Man you could almost go to jail for that deal.

ThisBrokenMachine likes this.
  14. JasonStallworth

JasonStallworth SS.org Regular

Dude, I know you have a budget but if you could do whatever it takes to save more and get something in the $1,000 range, give or take some, I recommend doing that. IMO, you're just going to get better quality and think of this as a long term investment.
    One of my favorites in that area is the ESP LTD MH-1007. That's a solid 7 string.

15. Dans

Dans Dans_EpitomƎ

Try to find a used, old MIJ RG7421 and I'm sure you'll love the neck (the downside is that you'll then dislike the modern thin necks on most 7s in the recent years lol).

Schecter KM-7 is very good (tho I never like Schecter's neck profile, both old and new), and so are LTD SC/SCB607B.