Cheaper IR Pedal, Mooer or Hotone?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Carl Kolchak, Sep 30, 2020.

1. Carl Kolchak

Carl Kolchak Last of the famous international playboys

I got $$$ that needs spending, so a Mooer Radar or a Hotone Omni?

2. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Honestly, I would still opt for the Torpedo Cab M - especially after the latest free firmware turned the unit into the M+ which now makes it double as a clean preamp. Has other effects like Enhancer, reverb etc. Think there is even a noise gate now.

Ontop of having access to the Two Notes IRs and poweramp sim - it is worth the extra money.
    Just my 2 cents

if it really is only between the 2 suggested - i would go Mooer.

Spinedriver likes this.
  3. Carl Kolchak

I went with a Mooer. Thanks.

lewis likes this.
  4. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

The Mooer's EQ section is fucking great. I actually think it's better than the Torpedo CABM's. Plus it supports a pretty wide range of IR formats. Only downfall is the power amp sim is... just okay. Nothing to write home about.

lewis likes this.
  5. Carl Kolchak

I got a PRS MT-15 coming in a couple of days, so I'm set for that.

6. HeHasTheJazzHands

If you're gonna be using a full-sized amp into a loadbox, then yeah, the Mooer is more :)D) than perfect. Cab sims + great EQ, and you're set.

Carl Kolchak likes this.
  7. Spinedriver

Spinedriver SS.org Regular

I have both the Radar and the CAB M and prior to the firmware update, I'd say they were 50/50. The Radar does do a good job but you are limited to only 36 memory slots and even then, you have to overwrite the stock cabs in order to store your own. Also, when you save one to the memory, it saves as the name of the IR you can't edit it. On the plus side, it costs about 1/3 as much as the CAB M.

As for the CAB M, with an SD card, you can store a TON of IRs internally, so you can edit some 'on the fly' if you need to. As for memory slots, there are more than enough available and as lewis said, not only is there a 5 band eq that is fixed (unlike the Mooer's that you can adjust) there is also a new "Enhancer" which is a lot like adding a 'presence' and 'resonance' to the IR. Also, you can use 2 3rd party IRs at a time, so you can blend them to fine tune things even more.

I have to say, with the new features, if you can afford it, the CAB M really is worth the exrtra money. If not, the Radar still is a decent IR loader for sure, it just sucks that the storage on it is pretty limited.

lewis likes this.
  8. Carl Kolchak

My interface came bundled with Two-Notes lite, and I had an older CAB pedal. Don't know what it was exactly, but I never really liked how their cabs sounded. They always seemed to sound too thin, hollow, and raspy for my taste.

As for the limited capacity of the Mooer Radar that's not a problem for me, as I'm only looking to dial in a couple of complementary rhythm and lead tones anyways. Also, I found a good deal on a used one on Reverb,so there's that. ;)

Spinedriver likes this.
  9. ATRguitar91

ATRguitar91 SS.org Regular

The real downside to the cheaper IR loaders for me is not being able to use multiple IRs at once. I find I prefer a blended cab sound.

That said, I've never seen the Hotone pedal and the fact that it has a thru option makes it really compelling.

My ideal setup would let me switch from running preamps straight into a power amp to headphones/monitors on the fly without needing to unhook things. In a perfect world I'd have the routing option to apply EQ and power amp simulation on the thru side while the other side gets the IR, but I don't think there's any reasonably priced way to do so at this point.

10. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire thy fart is murder

Being able to blend IRs and use multiple at once is why I like WoS so much. Plus it's really easy to audition other IRs.

11. Atefred

Atefred SS.org Regular

I have a mooer radar, which I use to go straight from preamp to monitors in cases where I don't want to run through a daw / PC.
    As people mentioned before, the power amp sims are bad, not worth having on at all imo. The default IRs are also not great, and you can't run more than one.
    That said it's not really a problem, I use GGD zilla to export pre-blended IRs which I load on it, and it does the trick / solves both issues.
    Doesn't sound exactly the same as running it through the plugin though, I assume due to IR length limitations on the radar. (23ms iirc, which is not a lot)
    Overall for random practicing / playing it works well, and the EQ is cool. In hindsight I would probably have bought a nux or cab M just for a bit more cash.
    Last note: might not be a problem, but mine gets rather hot after ~30m of playing.

12. HeHasTheJazzHands

The last thing is normal. IIRC both my CABM and Radar get warm.

Atefred likes this.
  13. Carl Kolchak

Got mine the other day, and yeah, I'm liking it much more than the Torpedo already.