Cheap multi-purpose reference headphones?

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by MechyKola, Mar 26, 2016.

1. MechyKola

MechyKola SS.org Regular

Greetings, fellow humans and others(?)

I have decided i should get some reference headphones, as all the typical headphones seem to do a massive scoop of the mids. I want flat response headphones that have fairly decent isolation but sound quality comes first. I'll only be using them at home so they can get as bulky as they like. I also want to be able to mix on them, as i can't afford monitors and they need setup to stop phase cancellation etc. The budget is ~£30-35. The options that i have found so far are:

Superlux HD-681 Evo BK - Superlux HD-681 Evo BK - Thomann UK

Superlux HD-662 - Superlux HD-662 - Thomann UK

Samson SR850 - Samson SR850 - Thomann UK

presonus hd7 - http://www.amazon.co.uk/PreSonus-HD...9022080&sr=8-12&keywords=semi-open+headphones

akg k99 - http://www.amazon.co.uk/AKG-K99-Sem...2100&sr=8-3&keywords=semi-open+headphones+akg

Which ones would you recommend?:ugh:

2. MechyKola

MechyKola SS.org Regular

I guess the presonus hd7 is out due to having a smile-ish frequency response.

Also rumour has it samson sr850 and superlux 668 have the same drivers, and the superlux 662 seems to be a closed back version of the above two. Superlux HD-662 F - Thomann UK

3. Ataraxia2320

Ataraxia2320 SS.org Regular

There is almost no point in getting a pair of sub 50 euro headphones for referencing purposes.

The absolute cheapest decent pair of headphones for use in the studio are the Sony MDR 7506's.

SONY PRO MDR7506 Headphones Pro closed: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

They will run you back about 75 quid, but they should last you a lifetime. They are also a great second pair of headphones to have around the place if you decide to upgrade in the future.

There is a reason that a lot of big studios with budgets for more expensive headphones still use them, they are quite simply the best bang for your buck that you will get!

4. Crescendo

Crescendo Surgical

I would invest in a pair of ATH-M50x, arguably the best headphones in their price range. Wait a bit more, bump up your budget, and get them.

5. vansinn

vansinn SS.org Regular

None of the ones listed in the OP post can even approach reference quality. Only the K99 might be considered.

If you're on a budget, read some of the many discussions on headphones in here, and start shopping for a used set of cans. Prices on yesteryears quality stuff are often down in the half to third of new price range.

Tip: Carefully check the pics in the add, and make sure you see the cable nicely rolled up with no kinks and stuff.
    My experience is that people who cares about their cans don't leave the cable flopping around on the floor or wrap it up like a rattle snake on steroids.

EDIT: Don't forget that a decent headphone only works really well when driven by a decent headphone amplifier.
    Some audio interfaces are capable of properly driving the cans, but not all.
    Likewise, you do not have to shell out expensively for a state of the art headphone amplifier (I don't know what to recommend; my RME stuff works quite well) so do some searching on this..

6. Nour Ayasso

Nour Ayasso SS.org Regular

Couldn't agree more, cheap headphones have always been cheap and pointless, and 7506's are still kickin' ass. I'd save for a real pair of headphones that can actually mix/master/reference and be of use to you.

If you just can't, remember you can counter eq to compensate for lacking frequencies. My teacher actually told me about this for my 7506 pair to make them truly flat. So theoretically, if you got one of these sets you could boost the mids/lows anything specifically lacking to get a better/true sound.

In general if you pick cheap headphones, at least pick comfortable ones (open back, big muffs, not tight), so when you upgrade you'll have a pair for listening to music/tracking headphones.

Good luck man :yesway:

7. MechyKola

MechyKola SS.org Regular

I see, but the samson sr850 seem to be recommended consistently, and my headphones broke so I would want to get new ones soon (currently i'm using my sister's so....). Also I would prefer headphones that don't need an amp. I have a 22vsl audio interface.

8. Rizzo

Rizzo SS.org Regular

If it's just your first pair ever, and above all a multipurpose one, the Superlux 662F (F is for Flat resoponse) are great.
    I have a pair: not the best super-solid-and-built-to-last headphones, but the audio quality is crazy for the ridiculous price. Mind Superlux uses to build replacement components for AKG.
    I did almost a month of research to choose one Superlux amongst all models, so you can trust me on them haha :)

If you want something "serious" instead, just go for the usual established greats. So AKG, Sennheisers, Beyerdynamic, Sony, AT. The "iconic" models.

Samson SRs are almost the exact same as Superlux 668B. The latter are more praised too.

9. MechyKola

MechyKola SS.org Regular

the 668 B is bass-boosted version of the 668 f. If i see a used sony 7506 i'll get that, otherwise i'll prob get a 668 f

10. Rizzo

Rizzo SS.org Regular

You're right.
    The 662F and 668B are the two most praised superlux models.
    Between the two, the general opinion prefers the earlier for studio purposes, so that's why i bought those.
    EDIT: also mind the earlier are closed-back and the latter are open.
    My 2 cents :)