Cheap(er) 7-string Blade Magnet Pickups?

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Crundles, May 27, 2021.

1. Crundles

Crundles SS.org Regular

Hey there SSO

In brief, I'd like to swap the pickup of a fanfret 7. The guitar is routed for straight-scale pickups, rather than fanfret ones, and thus the default pickups' pole pieces are not quite aligned with the strings.

I was going to grab some Fishman Abasis, but in the current economy I may as well explore lower-cost options.

In theory, I want something mostly for extended range high-gain metal.

In practice, I want anything at all that is better than the default MIC no-brand misaligned pickups.

Anyone have any recommendations?

Cheers!

2. ElysianGuitars

ElysianGuitars SS.org Regular

FWIW the pole piece alignment isn't a huge deal if the strings are fully in the magnetic field. Though I say that without knowing the guitar you have, maybe the outer strings aren't well covered.

3. Crundles

Crundles SS.org Regular

See the thing is, the pickups also sound ...suboptimal. I'd like to swap them for the sound, but I figured I could also take care of the misalignment while I was at it.

This is the guitar:
    [​IMG]

If it's not a problem I could also just slap a Black Winter set or some such? I figured blade magnets would be a safe choice, provided anyone knew any reasonably affordable ones.

Sorry if this is all basic stuff, I'm somewhat inexperienced with regard to pickups.

edit: Wait a minute, the Black Winter set is more expensive than the Fishman Abasis? This doesn't sound right

Last edited: May 27, 2021
  4. Amer Alameddine

Amer Alameddine SS.org Regular

Wes Hauch's signature Seymour Duncan Jupiter is a rail pickup, and is probably well-suited for your needs, and cheaper than the Fishman Abasi.

Crundles likes this.
  5. Crundles

Crundles SS.org Regular

You'd think so, wouldn't you?

But I guess Thomann disagree, since they've set the price of a single Wes Hauch Jupiter at 280 EUR.

Even if this is a mistake, and it's the price for a set (which seems quite possible, but I'll probably message them tomorrow to check), is still more than a set of fishmen.

Zhysick likes this.
  6. Zhysick

Zhysick SS.org Regular

Yes, I don't know what's wrong with Duncans in the EU, but specially the sets are stupidly expensive... I decided I won't buy new pickups a few years ago since at least here in the EU are too expensive... yes, I know, the second hand market for pickups is not that good, specially in Spain, but I prefer to wait and tinker my pickups (swap magnets, polepieces...) than paying 100€ for one humbucker...

Crundles likes this.
  7. ElysianGuitars

ElysianGuitars SS.org Regular

It's not going to be an issue on that guitar, the poles are still well within the vicinity of the strings. No reason to go with a rail on that guitar, should just go for whatever you want :agreed:

And GOC's stock pickups are less than optimal from the start, so not surprising.

Crundles and Zhysick like this.
  8. linthat22

linthat22 SS.org Regular

Have you looked at Guitar Fetish pickups? They're great!

9. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire L'enfant sausage

they don't. make 7 string pickups.

BabUShka likes this.
  10. Marv Attaxx

Marv Attaxx SS.org Regular

The Dimarzio X2N seems to be the off-the-rack solution for you :agreed:

Hexer and Crundles like this.
  11. Crundles

Crundles SS.org Regular

Hmm, good to know I can just pop a standard 7-string pickup in there and be done. Wonder if it's worth going for something niche like a pair of Lundgren Black Heavens...

But the more I think about it, and look at prices, the more I get convinced that

Edit: Btw Thomann confirmed it's 280 EUR for one single Wes Hauch Jupiter 7, not the full set, so uh, daymn

Last edited: May 29, 2021
  12. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

Those angles are barely existent. Just use whatever.

ElysianGuitars likes this.
  13. SubsonicDoom99

SubsonicDoom99 SS.org Regular

Do you know if it might be any cheaper just ordering the Jupter pickup directly from the Seymour Duncan website? I'm here in the U.S. but I've spoken with others who said they've ordered from the SD site to their country. I don't know if it'll make it much more affordable or not, but just figuring cutting out the middle-man and their markup price might help save some money. Keep in mind the Jupiter though is considered a "Custom Shop" pickup so it's unfortunately going to cost more than the average pickup. And for the record, I have a fanfret 7 string that I swapped out the stock pickups for a set of the Nazgul/Sentient pickups and I've had no issues at all with the string spacing causing any sound deficiencies or anything at all. I'm pretty sure that set should be cheaper than the Fishman set and so far I've been really happy with how they sound.

14. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire L'enfant sausage

you might save a few bucks at most buying direct from duncan ime

15. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace $$60,000,000,000

Do they do 7 string pickups? Pretty sure they do not.

16. BabUShka

BabUShka SS.org Regular

Sent them an email regarding this topic several years ago, they answered that theyll look i to it and they thought it was a great idea. 5 years later, nothing.

Just a tips. Ive heard that some of the Dimarzio Pickups that comes with high end Ibanez are actually USA Dimarzio. I bought a Dimarzio B-2 for like $30. Havent had time to install it yet, but according to internet they are identical to Dimarzio Fred.

17. 0rimus

0rimus SS.org Regular

Funnily enough I also have a Materia 7 string that I have been thinking about shoving another Abasi set into... But since that guitar has developed a bunch of fret issues I don't wanna spend that much.

This thread actually led me on a quest to find cheap rail style 7 string pups. Found these on ebay along with another quad rail style set too.

I ordered a set just for shits and giggles. Shipping says I won't get em until July 30 - August 30 lol. Screenshot_20210610-205130~2.png

18. mrvomit

mrvomit SS.org Regular

those up are the aliexpress pickups images that plague my cell since long lol .You know how they look but it looks you will never know how they sound since they tend to differ ( sellers using same images ) , found on yt many reviews about the 6ers . the 40 /45 bucks range pickups i assume

19. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

I was really surprised by the price the OP said the single Jupyter pickup costs, it really does cost that much! What is more susrpising is that the 6 string version is more than 100 Euros cheaper ( I was looking at the Spanish Thomman and the 7 string was 262 while the 6 string was 160!).

Cheaper well known option would be the Dimarzio X2N but depending on your taste it might be too hot. Same with SD Invaders 7 which have big pole pieces. Since pole pieces don't seem to be the issue you can see for a Nazgul 7. I'm not sure if the second hand market has dried up but at one point you could find them for cheap. Really nice pickup!

20. Marv Attaxx

Marv Attaxx SS.org Regular

All regular Dimarzio pickups are made in the USA in their New York factory :agreed:
    This may exclude specials, for example the Fusion Edge pickups sold in a few Ibanez guitars.
    So while Dimarzios often come cheaper than Seymour Duncans or other US-made pickups, they're still in the same quality tier.