Cheap Drum Modules for Triggers

Discussion in 'Drums & Percussion' started by op1e, Jul 12, 2020.

1. op1e

op1e Spirit Taker

We wanna be able to hear the kick at practice and make recording easier for the kick and snare at least. I'm footing the bill for this and I'm not a drummer. Everybody I've been around has been using the DM5 forever, but that's 1998 tech. I'm looking for at a Yamaha DTX 2.0 now on Ebay. Definately something with midi out to the interface so it would write midi in Reaper and then run that thru EZ Drummer (we have most the expansions). Our guy that programmed our stuff isn't really around much anymore and that's how we got stuff done, but it was a little over the top and not "humanized" I'm guessing is the term. Not looking to spend a ton.

2. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

we used a Roland TM2. It only has 2 inputs (which we also used for Kick and Snare) and it was perfect.
    SD card slot so you can load your own drum samples into it. I made my own using the selection of kicks and snares available to me on my drum plugins (Ez drummer II and Mjolnir) and then in a loud volume band practice environment we cycled through them in a live mix and found the ones that worked better for us and our music. Then it was set and forget.

super compact and pretty reasonably priced

just my 2cents

buriedoutback likes this.
  3. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

I think Alesis has a new one that's basically like a revamped DM5, but this one lets you load samples into too! Even the DM5 isn't bad and will do what you're wanting. There's a lot of other stuff like samplers with foot switch inputs that send midi notes too.

4. op1e

op1e Spirit Taker

Thanks for that, sounds perfect. I'll start the hunt. How do you get the samples out of EZ Drummer, are they stored in a folder?

5. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

How I done it was just do single midi hits in the DAW right at the very start of the time line so there is literally no time/space before when the hitS happen.

Then turned them into WAVs from Midis and exported. I did one at a time until I had all the snare sounds out and all the kick sounds out.

Also, if you want reverby snares you can apply that here too.

Leaving no space/time before the hit means you don't get any delay or lag when you trigger the sound at the kit :)

Then load them all onto an SD card and put it in the TM2 :)

6. redkombat

redkombat Tree Whore

we use tm2, those old red triggers that everyone had back in the day and spare alesis pads. we were using piezo triggers we made but simply didn't need them after running 1/2 the sounds into ez. it allows us to blend acoustic and electric drums with drum machines. midi everything. the tm2 just handles kick, red triggers on toms and the spare pads just cycle to be whatever we need them to be. helped us keep organized.

7. op1e

op1e Spirit Taker

Well I got it in, getting a kick trigger off a friend and got a pad to use as whatever. This should make recording way easier. Maybe write midi with it into Reaper and use EZ kick and snare so there's no crazy post production wizardry needed. Just a few tom mics and a couple overheads.

8. op1e

op1e Spirit Taker

I found an old sticky trigger that seems to be working fine and put it on the kick. Output seems low and the unit is all the way up and the PA is cranked. I'll mess with the internal gain settings i read about tomorrow. I'm also reading you can use Y cables to have 4 triggers going? I must learn of this. Also, @lewis could you maybe send me some of those kicks from EZ and save me some time. We have the metal expansion and I just want the best kicks maybe a few snares.

lewis likes this.
  9. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

What I did was make sure the samples i used were super loud (just before clipping) in Reaper, before I exported them as separate WAVs using compression

I only have the stock kit on EZ drummer currently. I can make you some if you dont mind stock sounds?

EDIT: I completely forgot i also have Mjolnir drums from Solemn Tones which is sick for modern metal

Last edited: Jul 19, 2020
  10. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Those old Alesis modules are still used today because they do a good job. "Old tech" doesn't mean anything unless you need features they don't have. I use a DM4, and the samples in it are fine for live use, and there's MIDI out if I want to record or use samples from elsewhere.

11. op1e

op1e Spirit Taker

I have a DM5 my old drummer gave me but the internal battery was toast or something, it reset every time you turned it off and had to dial everything in again. I opened it up and tried changing the battery and something went wrong. The round battery was like soldered in. I need to see if I can have my amp tech try to save it eventually.

12. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

If it's just a watch-style battery, that sounds like a super easy fix to me. A few minutes with a screwdriver and a soldering iron and you're done.

13. op1e

op1e Spirit Taker

I got the old one off and now it won't power on anymore.

14. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

That makes sense to me until you put a new one in its place.

15. MatrixClaw

MatrixClaw Whoaaa No Way!!!

I used to use a Roland TD-7 brain that I'd gotten for cheap years ago, but never touch anymore because I sold my triggers a long time ago in favor of mounting internal mics in my kit. It's great for lots of IO and has MIDI. Not sure what they go for now, but I was going through gear last night and found it, planning to list it soon.