Charvel ST Custom

Bevo

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I have a chance to trade my guitar for one of these, looks to be 90's Japan super strat in a HSS configuration.

This one has been a case queen and is as mint as the day it was made.
Its a fair trade for my Hagstrom Super Swede value wise with me coming on top a bit.

The reviews say it has active pickups but I don't know, do you guys have any experience with this and what do you think?
http://medias.audiofanzine.com/images/normal/charvel-st-custom-406767.jpg

snowblind56

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I would pass. The ST Customs had one of the ugliest headstocks ever. Might be a decent playing guitar, but there really isn't much of a market for these guitars. The electronics aren't the best either, I'm not sure if the are active or not. They really aren't H-S-S. The pickup in the bridge is actually two separate single coils ran together to be a humbucker. The mini-switch should kill one of them.

Zado

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I would pass. The ST Customs had one of the ugliest headstocks ever. .
1301855045_174243655_5--Charvel-ST-Custom-Japan--.jpg

DAT HEADSTOCK:wallbash:

s4tch

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Apart from the headstock, it's surely a better player than a Hagstrom. Also, all Japanese Charvels are build to last. I'd do the trade. But if you can't deal with the desing, just keep the Swede.

sly

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I think, IIRC, that these headstocks were Strato headstocks, and for legal issues, thay had to cut it this way. Then appears the "sears" headstock, IIRC (again!), that we found on the PC1 Jackson before FMIC bought Jackson and Jackson can use the Fender headstock.

Bevo

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The headstock to me is not the show stopper its the electronics and resale if I don't like it.
If the general consensus is its not a great guitar then it will take time to sell.

Im after a Tele and second a strat and my ad was for those trades.
So far I have had everything but those offered..

Thyber

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I've owned and modded an STX Custom, basicly the same guitar but with a floyd. If it's an European ST custom, you'll have a strat head, if not drop it... UGLY HEADSTOCK.

I prefer an STX Custom with a modded pickguard over any so.cal / Jackson Iron maiden sig. super strat.

have no experience on the st series.

Ironbird

Kahler Abuser
Reaction score
I don't get you guys - you think that headstock is ugly? How about the Suhr headstocks? Those are horrendous! :lol:

guidothepimmp

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Is that the actual head stock?

Some early STs had a strat head and they were hot