Charvel Pro-Mod DK24: Will D-Tuna work?

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Nah, it should be fine. Unless you want to pull up, then you'll need to notch it. The D-Tuna is for both recessed and dive only Floyds.

JW Shreds

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Kinda considering this guitar but would definitely want to put a D-Tuna on it. Will that work if I block the Floyd? Wondering if I’d have to route the body a little for it.

I had a D-Tuna on my PRS SE Torero when i owned it and it was gucci when blocked to be dive only. Also those Charvels are sick. I got the San Dimas Pro Mod in Miami Blue and it's hard to put down. The neck profile is just so comfortable, great fretwork, rolled fingerboard edges, just pure shredtastic magic :agreed:

Deadpool_25

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Circling back: it didn’t work well. With the recessed Floyd the D-Tuna was hitting the body when I pushed it in to switch from D to E (it goes in and down). If I raised the Floyd up the action gets unplayable. This is it before…

6D83C164-F784-484E-A11A-A912D1273FAF.jpeg

And this is it after having a small route (and a few other bits) added…

38F10A3A-B598-4023-8905-7A306A72D736.jpeg

B2ACEBEB-80BF-4281-80AD-6939E5A97CFA.jpeg 119C6B0D-0BD1-47A5-BD12-C0CAC4AF714C.jpeg

Matt08642

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
MAN, you’ve got some giant balls. Did you tape off that route, score it with an Xacto, and then route? Or how did you not chip the paint there?

Deadpool_25

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
MAN, you’ve got some giant balls. Did you tape off that route, score it with an Xacto, and then route? Or how did you not chip the paint there?
I was going to do it myself but (perhaps luckily) the wood shop on base seems to have shut down so I took it to my luthier. He did a great job.

kmanick

Contributor
Reaction score
I don't get why didn't you just get a ToneVise? no routing and it works great

Deadpool_25

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I don't get why didn't you just get a ToneVise? no routing and it works great
I considered it and even ordered one. The thing with the Tone Vise is that if the tuning changes you need to unlock the nut to use the headstock tuners. They do make a quick release system to do that but…well..I think it’s ugly lol.

With the D-Tuna the fine tuners still work fine and the set screw seems to be set and forget. Basically, if it goes out of tune due to humidity, etc. both settings go out the same way/amount so the fine tuner on the Floyd fixes them both.

That was bad enough, but Tone Vise is also out of red which was the final nail in the coffin. :)

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
I was going to do it myself but (perhaps luckily) the wood shop on base seems to have shut down so I took it to my luthier. He did a great job.
Yeah, he crushed it. If you had told me of your plan in advance I'd have had a mini panic attack, but this looks like it was done as part of the original routing of the body.

(And strong work on the red accents. I'm a sucker for little things like that.)

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I considered it and even ordered one. The thing with the Tone Vise is that if the tuning changes you need to unlock the nut to use the headstock tuners. They do make a quick release system to do that but…well..I think it’s ugly lol.

With the D-Tuna the fine tuners still work fine and the set screw seems to be set and forget. Basically, if it goes out of tune due to humidity, etc. both settings go out the same way/amount so the fine tuner on the Floyd fixes them both.

That was bad enough, but Tone Vise is also out of red which was the final nail in the coffin. :)
Uh, I have two of them, and I've never had to unlock the nut while using them - and the fine tuner still working is actually one of the selling points. But, whatever works for you - I have D-Tunas, too.
I also have a red ToneVise. ;)

Deadpool_25

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Uh, I have two of them, and I've never had to unlock the nut while using them - and the fine tuner still working is actually one of the selling points. But, whatever works for you - I have D-Tunas, too.
I also have a red ToneVise. ;)
Interesting, thanks. That was just my understanding so I could very well have been misinformed by “the interwebz.”

I know they make them in red, I just didn’t see any for sale when I looked lol.

kmanick

Contributor
Reaction score
so what do you think of the playability of this guitar now?