Chapman Guitars, What's the big drama all about.

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by TonyFlyingSquirrel, Jan 21, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ArtDecade

ArtDecade John Bohlinger's Dank Stash

They have English accents in common.

Merrekof likes this.
  2. Señor Voorhees

Señor Voorhees SS.org Regular

It's not like you don't do other stuff, too, which is definitely worth mentioning. (Between youtube, Solar guitars, and any music you may be working on as example.) I always find it weird when people get bagged on for doing "easy" content. Like, what the fuck are you supposed to do? Something difficult that isn't fun? Part of what makes youtube worthwhile is that you can do the things you like, within some degree of reason... For some, that's playing minecraft, and for others it's FAQ's and Reaction videos... Then there are those who DO treat it like "legitimate" production and make HUGE projects that take months to create.

Even the "easy" content isn't so easy. You can have good music/skills but have a dull as dishwater personality and you're suddenly not worth watching. People don't watch boring people play video games or play guitar.

I find Ola entertaining as a person, so who cares if he makes easy money off of me through youtube? (hopefully you earn a decent amount... The FAQ's, "will it chug," Coffee with Ola, etc videos are all good watches.)

LeviathanKiller and Seabeast2000 like this.
  3. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace $$60,000,000,000

Sooo... I take that as a yes? #BoycottVictory!

(#Sarcasm)

ArtDecade and Seabeast2000 like this.
  4. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

I don't know if they are actually connected, but Rob has (had?) a signature Victory amp.

5. Promit

Promit SS.org Regular

I was talking about this the other day actually - I remember that first "tutorial" video you did where you actually used the robo-voice rather than record yourself speaking. Things have come such a long way!

6. Promit

Promit SS.org Regular

As for Rob Chapman - I don't care, nobody should care, the accusations against him are boring inconsequential rambling. It doesn't matter if they're true because they're stupid things to be upset about in the first place. He is a dude, making videos, watch them or don't.

Strobe, Chokey Chicken and Wuuthrad like this.
  7. DickyTripleD

DickyTripleD SS.org Regular

My favourite was the Dar videos he did in Jocke Skog's studio, where he was only speaking Svenska and it was sped up for most of it.

8. Merrekof

Merrekof SS.org Regular

So yeah, I checked that out. She's obnoxious, and I can stand Stevie T.

Jonathan20022 likes this.
  9. Wuuthrad

Wuuthrad SS.org Regular

OMG, it's like so Crazy how far gone these modern guitar players have gotten!

Especially compared to the days of trashed hotel rooms, managers forcing people to lick their boots at gunpoint, and Mud Sharks!

Spaced Out Ace likes this.
  10. Velokki

Velokki GAS station

The one thing that bothers me the most is Rob's response video. I'm not an expert of psychology, but with my experience of a couple of thousand sales meetings where I always look for cues on people's faces and behavior, I can tell that he's lying. His expressions, eyes traveling everywhere and the insecure, defensive smile make it all too real.

Damn. I liked chappers' blindfold challenges, and probably will continue to. But he really seems to be an insincere guy with an ego problem. A bit like boogie2988 (a bit, not a lot).

Seabeast2000 likes this.
  11. Flappydoodle

Flappydoodle SS.org Regular

Now you're more like a caricature of yourself. Obviously in the last 18 months or so you've made a very big push to put out content more frequently and grow your channel. Going back a couple of years it's pretty clear that your on-camera personality has become more exaggerated and contains far more gimmicks. And obviously there is the "low effort" FAQ videos, reaction videos etc. I'm not accusing you of some "secret scheme", and I'm not hating on you for trying to make money, but it's very clear that it's how the game is played. Everybody knows the YouTube requirements, and it's very very difficult to have your type of channel with 1-2 high quality videos per month.

I really commend you for launching Solar guitars too, which really tick a lot of boxes, are far more attractive/desirable and better value than Chapman (just to somewhat bring it back to the thread topic, lol). I think that's a wise move and hopefully you'll be less reliant on YouTube, because I think that's a sinking ship.

12. Flappydoodle

Flappydoodle SS.org Regular

He has/had a signature amp with them. Lee Anderton and Chappers are definitely friends with the guy from Victory. They pretty much introduced those amps to the masses through Andertons. And Rabea did all of the Kemper profiling for Victory too. So my guess is that the companies aren't the same, but they are certainly financially related to each other in some ways - at least through endorsements.

To be clear, I'm not shitting on creators for making those sorts of video. It's YouTube's fault because they want to make it into TV basically, with regular episodes and set times and even different series (will it chug, FAQ number 67, etc), and more and more minutes spent watching. It isn't about clicks any more. It's about minutes and retention. And it's very, very difficult to have a successful channel putting out only a few high quality videos. Even if you're a useful resource, if your uploads are sporadic, the algorithm will punish you because it doesn't help YouTube to have lots of videos on a useful 1 minute video when some guy can upload 5x 10 minute videos per week.

TedintheShed likes this.
  13. Ola Englund

Ola Englund SS.org Regular

You should ask my wife and my kids about how I am in person lol before calling me a caricature :D however watching my OLD videos is basically like watching a nervous caricature of myself. Being exposed to a lot of views is not easy and it took a long time for me to get comfortable with letting people see who I am.

I’m not going to try and defend my type of videos but I think we have different opinion about what is low effort videos or not. An FAQ for me is about 6-8 hours of constant work from filming to editing and uploading , without pause. It’s one workday per week for those. I wouldn’t say they are low effort at all, at least I don’t feel like it. Then reaction videos, I’ve made a total of 4 of them so far and those four where in the past 2 months. They have been a small percentage of my overall videos which still are and surround topics around gear.

I do try to make things more efficient for me when it comes to Youtube because I’m still also writing music for all my bands, some touring and also a fuck ton of Solar Guitars. Like you said having all eggs in one basket is definitely not the way to go and Solar Guitars has given me more freedom with everything else I do so I personally feel that I today deliver better content on Youtube because it’s not the only source of income. But then again I’m only talking for myself, I most definitely believe that there are people out there who does not agree with the way I’m running my channel but for me it’s working great right now. Thanks for the kind words

14. Ola Englund

However now when I think of it, I guess all my videos are reaction videos, Will it Chug, Rig of the week etc... RIP

15. DickyTripleD

DickyTripleD SS.org Regular

Come on now, everyone knows you only make easy content... Like flying to the west coast of the US from Europe, or spending your own money to get an office and then furnishing and decorating it yourself.

I will admit I'm guilty of enjoying the one video you did that I think was actually easy... The Zuul.

16. Merrekof

Merrekof SS.org Regular

The first video of you I ever saw was an amp comparison video. Like 10 metal amps back to back. They were entertaining and there's huge difference between now and then. Those first videos were just about guitars and gear. Barely or no interaction with the viewers wereas now you are more like "yes dear viewer, I'm talking to you"

Then you have Stevie T. I like his videos too, on another level though. But I have the feeling he is not gonna last very long. I think he is losing inspiration. This is inevitable for YT'ers I think.

Masoo2 likes this.
  17. Ola Englund

Well I made a decision to start talking because I can actually provide more knowledge that way. I can’t say if my channel would be bigger if I was making the demos as I did back In the day. But now we’re here and I’m happy with what I’m doing, which I guess is what matters the most to me.

18. Velokki

Velokki GAS station

I do love your videos, but due to hurries, I can never keep up =D Too much offering.

One special video I remember from back in the day was the Vetta 2. You must've sweat like a pig.

19. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace $$60,000,000,000

That Vetta 2 actually sounds nice. Why does Line 6 make garbage like the Spider 5 or whatever it is instead of stuff like this, or at least in addition to stuff like this.

HeHasTheJazzHands likes this.
  20. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands SS.org Regular

Kinda happens when you base your entire career on memes.

Am I gonna have to get a V2 Ninja AND a Vetta II now?

Velokki and Merrekof like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.