Chapman Guitars, What's the big drama all about.

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by TonyFlyingSquirrel, Jan 21, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dr_game0ver

dr_game0ver SS.org Regular

If you don't know about it, ho boy have you missed something. There is a video on YT " the downfall of channel awesome". It involved a bit more that just drama. CA is a good representation of "when internet drama, ego and money goes too far"
    My comment has to be taken as a joke, nothing more.

About Andertons, Lee seems to have distence himself with Rob, who barely appear in the videos.
    If you want some good old cringe, go watch the 80' Charvel parodie thing.

2. Tisca

Tisca Big-tube snob

Rob also lied about what happened and everytime RCG commented with the truth the comments were deleted. Chappers doesn't really have any credible evidence or arguments against his accusers.

Let's not forget Rob's biggest crime; having dreads as a white middle aged man.

3. r33per

r33per SS.org Regular

I have a white middle, but am not yet an aged man. Dreads ok?
    :nlb:

Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
  4. DickyTripleD

DickyTripleD SS.org Regular

Short of being Rastafarian, in my opinion, it's never okay.

Thaeon likes this.
  5. Kobalt

Kobalt SS.org Regular

Not only that, but the Internet has become such a poison to anyone with any slight hint of popularity or notoriety or whatever - it's all drama and going after people to cut them down... Some lowlife will waste this precious Earth's oxygen spending countless hours tracking down that you pushed the redhead kid in the mud in second grade because that'll make the headlines and people will shout death threats at you.

Fuck offff, can we all just enjoy the fucking content and stop trying to guillotine everybody, it's 2020 not the 1800s.

Wolfhorsky, AkiraSpectrum and Strobe like this.
  6. gunch

gunch Riff Chugman

I don’t want to be smug but this guy always had a greasy smarmlord vibe to me and his bands are named after sounds a broken washer makes

BlueTrident, Velokki, kisielk and 8 others like this.
  7. vortex_infinium

vortex_infinium SS.org Regular

Is the Chapman CS the one that was only supposed to put out 10 guitars per year?

That's some pretty extreme lack of demand given his status...

8. JSanta

JSanta SS.org Regular

I don't disagree with the sentiment, but in Rob's case, he's quite obviously a prick. Seems like this was a long time coming. And to be fair, I really enjoy the Anderton's youtube channel (sans Rob), and I never got the same feeling about Lee or Pete, who seem like nice people. I don't care for the Anderton's/Chapman partnership, but I get it.

9. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Thy Fart is Murder

yup, he wanted to sell 3500 £ guitars but wouldn't say who was building them, which rankled most people from whst I've seen. Pretty sure the overlap of people that both liked his guitars and had those kinds of funds were turned off by not knowing who was building them.
    Plus that kind of money would get you a legit custom from proven builders like Daemoness/Carillion/Waghorn

10. Thaeon

Thaeon Cosmic Question Asker

Dude, that's around $4500 USD. That's Oni territory. I know where I'd be putting my money.

11. Fred the Shred

Fred the Shred Shrederick

You mean like the "British luthier" that built the protos and the commemorative artist guitars that was Jaden Rose yet was all but ommitted from the picture the first time and then completely obliterated from any exposure when things went south? It's really not a problem of credibility of the luthier itself, but rather a mix of making it fully "Chapman only" and preventing people from skipping the middleman and going to the luthiers themselves, I'm afraid.

In this industry, people having some rather questionable attitudes and decisions is just the tip of the iceberg, to be honest.

Flappydoodle and _MonSTeR_ like this.
  12. GraemeH

GraemeH SS.org Regular

Maybe the cunt is going to build these £3,500 guitars himself? You know, the guy who regularly demonstrates he doesn't know what "coil tap" or "baritone" mean.

Wasn't it on this forum that there was some kerfuffle caused by him claiming his guitars came with Hipshot bridges when they were clearly chinese knock-offs? Pretty sure someone here contacted Hipshot over it. Wonder if those people who bought them ever got a part-refund?

I don't mind Lee Anderton or Bea at all, I hope they're just associating with him for the exposure to his audience at this point.

13. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

He's like...the only person around that actually knows what a baritone means though.
    crying emoji

14. Frostbite

Frostbite Periphery Shill

I meant for me but I forgot everything has to be a competition on the internet and opinions are stupid lmao

Ordacleaphobia and StevenC like this.
  15. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

"The king of Internet sleaze." Hyyyyypeerrrrbolleeeee. Lol. Dude, there are lots of people on YouTube that are sleazier than this ballpark frank imbecile.

16. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

Yeah... tell that to the celts, mate.

Ataraxia2320 and r33per like this.
  17. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Thy Fart is Murder

exactly my point. If he was targeting metalheads, then he failed as there a ton of reputable metal centric builders in that price range.
    If he was targeting blues lawyers then he failed, since you can get a 10 top PRS, a 509 or any number of nice gibson/fender clones from proven shops at that price point. From a marketing perspective it was basically doomed from the start by them not mentioning the ghostbuilder and the very stiff competition at that price point.

Thaeon likes this.
  18. JSanta

JSanta SS.org Regular

The outcome implies that his market research was effectively ego.

Merrekof likes this.
  19. Thaeon

Thaeon Cosmic Question Asker

Yeah. Especially considering he's a relatively new name in the market. You'd think that by letting the public know who was ghost building for him, he'd have drawn some people in. Like Friedman being perfectly open about Grover doing his builds. Dunable is also open about Grover doing some of the necks of his guitars. People don't hold that against those builders. They actually feel more confident about investing the money knowing who's hands did the work.

20. DickyTripleD

DickyTripleD SS.org Regular

I was a way bigger fan of the braids.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.