Chapman guitars - any good, nowadays?

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by Wolfhorsky, May 5, 2021.

1. FromTheMausoleum

FromTheMausoleum That one guy

Nah, the hate Chapman is getting is because he's a terrible person and it bled into his business, as stated in my previous post.

2. Matt08642

Matt08642 SS.org Regular

Comes off as a cartoon character to me, the kind of person who would give themselves a nickname like "Chappers". You can see it when people in the room are laughing casually and he comes in with this loud boisterous HA HA HA!!! again like a cartoon. It's annoying and offputting.

mehegama and Samark like this.
  3. Zado

Zado SS.org Regular

Who care about the guitars, I want to know more about the drama!

And btw those guitars look awkward.

sirbuh and Korneo like this.
  4. gunch

gunch Riff Chugman

Didn't he pocket donation drive money or was that someone else

5. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire only the dead have seen the end of GAS

he did supposedly use donation money to buy a PRS

Blitzie, fabronaut and Wolfhorsky like this.
  6. soliloquy

soliloquy SS.org Regular

I wonder what Lee's opinion is on the Chapman. I mean, Rob became the more prominent one as his name is on the headstock, but wasn't it a collaborative work between Lee and Chapman?
    Lee seems like a great dude.

Wolfhorsky likes this.
  7. rokket2005

rokket2005 SS.org Regular

Lee owns the majority of the company unless he offloaded it in the last year or so. He also had a solid stretch of time where he didn't have Rob on the Andertons channel after Joe from Riff City put out his video about Chapman. I live a block from one of the old Riff City locations and Joe was one of the nicest guys in the guitar business I've met, I kinda felt bad that even before the shit went down that I had no interest in Chapman guitars and a lot of his business was built on them.
    The only real experience I had with Chapmans is the kid that I sold my tremoverb to had a ghostfret that he brought to demo the amp and it was the worst I've ever heard that amp sound. He also was running it through a Fortin 33 and whether or not the guitar could stay/play in tune was also an issue.

Blitzie, LordHar and Wolfhorsky like this.
  8. couchguitarplayer

couchguitarplayer SS.org Regular

I had a Chapman MLV Pro which was awesome. To be honest, the fit and finish was great but the pickups we're really band (henchman or something if I'm right. I swapped them for a set of SD Nazgul and Sentient and the guitar become stellar. It has a true maple cap, hipshot tuner, floyd rose trem and stainless steel frets. The big downsize was the size and heavyness of the case. That's why I got rid of it.

Beside all the dramas, I think Chapman guitars are great (especially the pro series). I would love to try an ML3 Pro or BEA. Quality control can be an issue though from what I've read.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 7, 2021
    Wolfhorsky likes this.
  9. kisielk

kisielk SS.org Regular

After the way he dealt with Riff City and his otherwise shitty personality I wouldn't even bother looking at any of his stuff. It's made in the same factories as a lot of other great brands that don't do that kind of shit, so why not just buy one of theirs instead.

Blitzie, fabronaut, LordHar and 5 others like this.
  10. Millul

Millul SS.org Regular

Why have I been dumb enough to watch the YT video posted above??

Wuuthrad and Wolfhorsky like this.
  11. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands SS.org Regular

After he made the deal with GC, Chapman went from cool affordable mod platform guitars to just another LTD and Schecter competitor, so yeah I agree with this. Only reason I wanted a Champman was because they were the few people offering a 28'' baritone and at the time an Explorer (which everyone makes now :lol:).

fabronaut, Edika and Wolfhorsky like this.
  12. JazzS

JazzS SS.org Regular

I personally love my old ML7S, but the entire brands changed quite a bit since then so it’s probably not representative of the brand as it is now.

What I do find interesting is that Rob Scallon has left the brand not long after they launched an updated version of his signature model, which was apparently a best seller for Chapman. I’m kinda hoping there’s drama there, internet bullshit like that fuels my work week.

c_hamrick23, fabronaut and JimF like this.
  13. Hoss632

Hoss632 SS.org Regular

I've played a few different chapman models over the years. I've always found the quality to be great and some of the best bang for the buck out there. I could careless about the supposed "drama" surrounding Rob himself as it's just that "drama". The product is good and the majority of the staff behind chapman over all are good people.

Wolfhorsky and Wuuthrad like this.
  14. Hoss632

Hoss632 SS.org Regular

You are not telling the whole story here. You are leaving out the fact that Riff City was indeed the exclusive chapman dealer for several years BEFORE the deal with guitar center happened. Riff City closing is not chapman's fault and never will be. The drama between the 2 companies stems from the owners of Riff City not liking Rob saying the promotions and what not that Riff City did were "his favor" to them to help them out. That's really where it lies. There was much more involved in Riff City closing that just one small guitar company.

fabronaut, Millul and Wuuthrad like this.
  15. Wuuthrad

Wuuthrad SS.org Regular

TY! I wanted to hear something more about this. Been around more than a few blocks a couple times, and having heard a few stories, there’s always more than one! Not to mention the sides- there’s always an EDGE right?! lol

16. Hoss632

Hoss632 SS.org Regular

I don't doubt that something went foul between the 2 companies. It's just more trying to provide the full picture, IE offering what both sides have openly said. I don't doubt that the Chapman deal with GC hurt Riff City. It just wasn't the only cause. Main reason I don't mind supporting chapman still is because of the rest of the staff like Lee, Matt, Rabea etc. All of those people work hard and provide amazing products. I'd love to own both of Rabea's pro signature models myself.

Millul likes this.
  17. Wuuthrad

Wuuthrad SS.org Regular

Thanks again, I think it’s important to know both sides! I wonder why so many people make decisions based on hype and emotions...

Not speaking to the business side, which is part heresy as far as I can see, and none of my business really, but is seems somewhat ridiculous to make a big deal out of someone’s personality...

Anyway, I really like the Bea baritone, but I’m not at all fond of the narrow fingerboard. I’ve been looking for a long scale baritone, and the Ibanez baritone looks ideal with a 45mm nut.

I wonder if we all had the back story of every product ever made... oh what a wonderful world it would be! lol

I assume none of the other guys involved with the company have chosen to comment on YT because its mostly BS!

Millul likes this.
  18. Hoss632

Hoss632 SS.org Regular

I think there's truth in what has been publically said, albeit swayed to one side or another depending on which side is speaking. But Chapman Guitars as a whole produce good instruments, and I think have learned from the experience and are doing what they can to move forward in a manner better than they did before.

19. mbardu

mbardu SS.org Regular

20. AboutBlank

AboutBlank SS.org Regular

If this person is also the name giver and a kind of public figure and acts as a spokesman, I find this absolutely legitimate.
    Strongly polarising people just have a corresponding effect, be it negative or positive, it just depends.

Of course, it depends on one's personal attitude, but for the same reasons I would not consider supporting two other (guitar) companies that are very alike for me...

Masoo2, Wolfhorsky and Hoss632 like this.