Ceramic Blackhawk 7 (Mix test kinda)

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by MaxBenches, Feb 22, 2014.

1. MaxBenches

MaxBenches SS.org Regular

Hey everybody!
    I have spent a bit of my evening tinkering with the DI files and audio stems which Nolly put out from his Blackhawk test. I reamped the DI files, added a bit of EQ and compression and brought the volume up a bit in Studio One. I'm new to mixing, but I think it sounds alright. Any constructive criticizm would be greatly appreciated!
    Cheers!
    https://soundcloud.com/max-bartholin-larsen-bech/blackhawk-7-ceramic-testing

2. MaxBenches

Posted the exact same thing over on Metalguitarist.org. I basically got all kinds shit for practicing mixing on someone else's DIs, drums and bass, and for putting "Mix test" in the title. Apparently, you can't put "Mix test" or "BKP" in the title, without having a ....ton of posts and having been a member for millennia, without your thread getting closed. I only got one barely useful comment, which didn't actually help me. So just to clarify, I'm not trying to sound like Nolly or anyone else. I'm just practicing getting my guitartones to sit in the mix, and basically learn how to mix. If anyone has any kind and constructive criticism to a newcomer to mixing, it would be really be appreciated.

3. JPMDan

JPMDan IT'S OVER 9000!!!! Contributor

The reason why they close those kinds of threads is because they get those kinds of threads very often where people post one, read the comments and never come back (not saying you were doing the same thing by any means). It gets irritating after a while. MG.org want people who are going to be a part of the community and not just dump a mix test here and there. You shouldn't just bag on them because they have certain rules either.

For this clip are you practicing mixing? I think it sounds great to me, I dig that Raw, thick tone especially with the Purring.

4. MaxBenches

Yeah, sorry about the MG rant. I just wanted some advice, and I got kind of mad when they just shut down the thread. I didn't know they got alot of those kind of posts.

Anyways, thanks for the positive feedback! I actually wanted to make the guitars a bit brighter, but if I did this, they seemed really brittle and didn't fit in. Are there any tips for making the guitars brighter without them getting really harsh and brittle?

5. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

You realize there's a LOT of overlap between the two boards, dude? :lol: The bigger issue wasn't anything specifically you just ranted about, so much as the fact that we're VERY explicit in the signup process that if you're signing up just to post Youtube, Soundclout, etc links, you're just going to get banned. Yet, it happens all the time. :lol:

Mattayus actually gave you pretty excellent advice (and does stellar production work himself), just not the advice you wanted - if you're serious about learning to record, starting with other people's stems and other people's presets isn't the way to go. You need to start up front at the tracking process, learn how to track, how to manage your gain staging, how to get a clean and pristine signal into your DAW, and then from there learn how to identify problems in the mix and correct them with EQ, compression, etc, or potentially by retracking if need be. Using someone else's tracks and someone else's presets doesn't actually teach you anything, especilly if they were tracked by a guy like Nolly, who does pretty excellent work and the material you're starting with is already pro-=caliber.

I mean, it's a matter of wanting to learn how to do this, isn't it?

6. MaxBenches

First off, thanks for the constructive criticism. I have tracked some of my own music, and this just for fun, to learn more about reamping, which I have finally figured how to do. I totally see what you are saying about learning from scratch and not just maxing someone else's tracks. Thanks for that!
    Secondly, thanks for telling me about just posting youtube clips will get you banned. I wasn't aware of this. I have made a NGD here and I believe posted a couple of comments, I'm just not the biggest commenter. My intention surely wasn't to spam, only to get some advice.
    Cheers!

7. JPMDan

JPMDan IT'S OVER 9000!!!! Contributor

Listening to nolly's version and yours it seems like the volume on yours is a tad low. As far as highs are concerned I don't hear a need for them personally they have plenty of cut to me.

8. MaxBenches

Thanks man! I put a limiter on in Studio One and I couldn't get it any louder than this without it sounded way overcompressed. Still trying to figure everything out, but thanks for the feedback!

9. HumanFuseBen

HumanFuseBen SS.org Regular

daaaaamn killer tone.

10. MaxBenches

Thanks a lot! I couldn't have made the tone without Nolly's clips. His drums and bass sound absolutely insane! I do have some clips with the bass and drum vst's from S1 lying around, and I will begin focusing on learning to track, mix and everything in the process from scratch, rather than practicing on someone else's files. But I had a lot of fun messing around with this, and was pretty happy with how the guitar tones came out. Again, this is all thanks to Nolly's files.

11. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Yeah, we have a lot of REALLY BIG FONT in the sign-up rules about that, saying "This is a board for our community, not spamming your band - if your first post contains a link to six Youtube videos you're going to get banned" (funnily enough, we once had a guy PM us after getting band furiously pointing out that his first post only had three videos), but while I'd have to check your sign-up date to be sure it's entirely possible we've strengthened the language since you joined. Either way - feel free to hang out, shoot the shit with the regulars, get to know the board (we're a band of a-holes, but we're FUN a-holes) and at that point people might actually want to check your music out. We're generally not very pro-djent, however, because 1.) we're old, and 2.) we get about a half dozen "USERNAME: NEW MIXTEST! AXEFXII BKP SUPERIOR 2.0 NOLLY PRESETS!" a week and we get REALLY sick of banning them. :lol:

Seriously though - I won't pretend to be an expert, exactly, but I've been doing this a LONG time, since working on Sonic Foundry ACID 2.0 in my college dorm room back in '99. If there's anything I've learned since then, it's that in the process of making a great recording, mixing is actually fairly unimportant - having a good song to record is probably the single most important thing as far as getting people to listen to it, but for the "quality" of the finished recording, it's all in the tracking. By the time you've finished tracking and set levels, if you don't already have something that sounds pretty much like a recording, then you're not going to be able to transform it into something that sounds professional with an EQ and compressor.

12. Metaldestroyerdennis

Metaldestroyerdennis Heavens Football Bat

MG is a chill place for people to talk about metal. Didn't the same guy start this forum? Anyway this place is a free-for-all whereas MG is a community for a purpose. The reason your thread was taken down was so that it doesn't end up the way this forum did.

Djontz doesn't make you cool anymore. If you want people to critique your use of someone else's files the Sneap forums call your name.

Point is, there's a place on the internet for everything, so put it where it belongs and your threads shall stay up.

13. MaxBenches

Thanks for clearing that up. I'm only a member here and on MG, and I didn't know about the Sneap forum. Will definitely take my posts there the next time I want some critique on my mixes. I didn't mean to spam MG or SSo, so sorry if I offended anyone.

14. MaxBenches

But hey, just for the fun of it: What makes this qualify as djent? When I think of djent this isn't really the style of playing nor the sound that springs to mind, at least not for me. Can someone enlighten me on this? Not trying to start anything, I'm just curious.

15. vent187

vent187 SS.org Regular

HUGE TONE! Love it.

16. Metaldestroyerdennis

Metaldestroyerdennis Heavens Football Bat

For me, anything that uses the djent chords and has all that honky midrange.

IMO posting your mixtests here is fine, but the whole mixing someone else's DI thing is something I would take to Sneap.

17. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Yeah, after we sold Sevenstring.org, we basically all got bored and decided to start again. :lol: A lot of the old school sevenstring crew migrated over with us, and we're trying very actively to preserve that small "community" feel. It's not that we're opposed to new members, it's just that we want to ensure they're ones that are going to fit in, and as time has gone on we've gotten increasingly heavy handed about just weeding people out. :lol: