Cassette Tapes

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by broj15, Jul 28, 2014.

1. broj15

broj15 SS.org Regular

Surely I'm not the only around here that collects tapes. I started collecting about 8 months ago when I got tired of classic rock radio (no CD play or AUX hook up in my car). Luckily for me plenty of great bands are releasing stuff on cassette and they can usually be had for ~$5. So here's what my collection looks like right now (with a few more additions on the way).

[​IMG]
    here's a list for those who care if you can't make out the names going down starting with the left side:

Nurture - In the Middle Of Everything
    Makeshift Shelters - The Cautious Side Of Things
    Ken Burns - Demo
    Khoschei - Mike Is Dead
    Kilgore Trout - Immemorial
    Caust - Page Turner
    Kaoru Nagisa - Concessive
    Kaoru Nagisa / Swan Of Tuonela Split
    Air Hockey / Wounded Knee Split
    Heart On my Sleeve - Stand By, We're Going in For Life
    GRYSCL / Weakness Split
    GRYSCL - Finding Comfort in Obsolescence
    Ma Catharsis Et La Mort - Extended Pain
    Meryl Streaker - Sky Burial
    Flesh Born - All The Pain I Built Up

3 more that didn't have titles on the spine
    [​IMG]

left to right:
    It Kills Me - Demo
    Yusuke - s/t
    City Cop - Seasons (bought it with the cardboard band water damaged :( )

So, SSO, show me whats been stuck in your walkman lately

2. frahmans

frahmans SS.org Regular

Broj15, brought me back to the times when my friends and I would make mix tapes. We had to hit record and stop just at the right time. The days before copy and pasting files into devices.

Lol.

3. Baelzebeard

Baelzebeard Grinder of strings

Oh how I hate cassette tapes. If you were my age you might understand.:lol:

They sound almost as bad as mp3's, and degrade over time. Back when I was a kid it was cassette only, and hearing CD's for the first time was like taking a blanket off your speakers. Don't get me wrong mix tapes were fun to make, but I for one am glad we had moved on.

Not to be a (old) party pooper, but I really don't get why cassette tapes are cool all the sudden.

Anyways if you want to learn a couple tricks for maximizing sound quality of cassette, here is what me and my friends did. When dubbing tapes, use the high grade, position 4 "metal" tapes, but turn the Dolby noise reduction off. Secondy, we modded our tape decks so that the azimuth adjustment screw for the playback head was accessible through the door of the tape deck, and you could adjust with a little screwdriver to optimize the sound. Honestly we had just about maximized what you could so with tape on no/low budget. My first car had a tape deck, but as soon as I had the cash, getting a CD player was a no-brainer. I do still have a broadcast grade Denon tape deck though that I got from my old job, but no cassette's to play.

4. Zeno

Zeno SZ Hunter

I dig having cassettes, and yeah, the audio quality is shit, but it's fun!

Whenever I go to garage sales and resale shops I always check out the old cassettes in hopes of something good. So far I have Duke by Genesis, The Living Years by Mike + The Mechanics, Empire by Queensryche, The Number of the Beast by Iron Maiden, Van Halen I, and A Vulgar Display of Power by Pantera.

They're all just sitting in the center console of my car, waiting to be played. They're a good backup if I forget my iPod, or just feel like listening to one of those albums. The Living Years is freaking great, and some of the synth lines on those tracks are amazing.

5. MFB

MFB ExBendable

Kilgore Trout is a band name now? I got so excited thinking it was some sort of spoken word, Kurt Vonnegut tape :(

6. broj15

broj15 SS.org Regular

IDK how old you are but I have quite a few memories of cassettes. My family didn't start switching over from cassette to CD till '03 or '04 and Even after that I remember making mix tapes because I didn't have a CD burner till '08.
    I understand what you mean about the sound quality "lacking", however I think it adds something to certain genre's of music (black metal, punk, noise, etc.).
    As far as the appeal of tapes in the modern day goes I think it comes down to a few things: Cost is a big factor. Tapes are much cheaper to produce making them much easier to sell. People have for the most part moved on from CD to MP3 at this point and not everyone is down to pay $10 - $20 for an LP when they go to a show, but $3-$5 for a tape with the same amount of music? That's a lot easier for people to swallow. Not to mention a lot of tape labels really go all out with the artwork and general packaging of some their releases (sometimes including hand written notes, funny pictures or even old pokemon cards).
    My only real problem with cassettes is that they have a finite number of plays. As a lot of my collection is out of print or soon to be I'd hate for them to get worn out like tapes inevitably do, so I've been looking into a good dual deck player/recorder to make dubs and just save the originals. If you have any recs I'd appreciate them :yesway:

Kilgore Trout is amazing. Post-hardcore with a dash of black metal and a sprinkle of post rock

http://kilgoretroutva.bandcamp.com/album/the-golden-altar-the-black-hourglass

7. M3CHK1LLA

M3CHK1LLA angel sword guardian

i still have some cassettes, i'll see if i can dig up a pic.

i can honestly say i've never heard of one band in you order pile lol...

8. Zombie13

Zombie13 XIII

I bought my first ever cassette last Saturday, my car has a cassette deck and wanted something to play instead of the radio.

[​IMG]

Not really into collecting any, the sound on that one is super buried, but for laughs.

9. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

I'm only 21, but we had tons of cassette tapes when I was younger. I can agree with your criticisms. :lol:

CDs may scratch and break easily, but as you said, cassettes can wear out and degrade, and I've had a few cassettes that either had ripped tapes or were just mangled to all hell.

10. Necris

Necris Bonitis.

I buy tapes from time to time, however I have to both really enjoy the band and have no other format as an option to put up with the hassle of them.

I remember as a kid listening to tapes all the time, and then, occasionally, watching in horror or amusement as the tape was eaten by the player. :lol: I don't miss that.

I certainly don't see myself putting any money into a good tape deck for how rarely I'd ever use the thing The only reason I tend to use the one I do have is to make Wav rips of the tapes I buy anyway.

11. Joose

Joose Custom User Title

I do have a few in a box somewhere. I should bust them out, as my car has a cassette player, along with a 6 disc. Right now i use the cassette player as an AUX; much better than those FM things.

But, I know I have Korn's debut, some Metallica, Pantera, Sevendust's debut and "Home", a few others I can't recall.

12. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal Contributor

I had the most awesome (using that word in ALL its myriad interpretations, including ones that make me look like a tosser :lol:) walkman on the face of the earth when I was younger:

[​IMG]

13. downburst82

downburst82 SS.org Regular

^wasn't that one of the one's that used the "special" headphones that were supposed to "shake your brain" or something :lol:

14. downburst82

downburst82 SS.org Regular

[​IMG]

This was my rig:hbang:

...and yes I did have the one with the "solar alarm clock" Ballin!!!

I still have a tone of my old tapes at my parents house somewhere. House is getting sold soon so they should be uncovered in the next few months :metal:

15. Forkface

Forkface Feast on this.

I have a copy of Emperor's "In the nightside eclipse" in my room somewhere. I don't use it anymore cause my car doesn't have a cassette player, but if you want the trve cvlt black metal experience, you should listen to that.
    Cassette quality + Black metal recording quality = victory.
    I have a couple more, but not a collection by any means. I have some GNR and Metallica that my uncle gave me, as well as some jazz stuff that my dad used to listen.

16. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal Contributor

VIRTUAL MOTION SOUND SYSTEM, MOTHER....ERS! :hbang: :shred: :rocker: :mf666:

17. broj15

broj15 SS.org Regular

My collection is seriously lacking in black metal right now. I've mainly been concentrating on punk / hardcore but I've almost crossed off most of most of my list and plan on tracking down some BM and crust tapes next.

18. wakjob

wakjob SS.org Regular

Cassettes don't skip when you go off-roading :lol:

The problem was that, the best cassette decks like Nakamichi ect... were/are still high maintenance.

Think about it. Who bought a cheap boom box back in the 80's or 90's and demagnetized and aligned the head(s)?

You sure as hell didn't pull the one out of your car and have it done!

No, the real serious 'tapeheads' even to this day buy the master cassette and make high quality copies or mix tapes to listen to as to preserve the original. And are constantly keeping their machines in tip top running order.

This is mine...

[​IMG]

19. TheBloodstained

TheBloodstained Casual music entusiast

I actually have a cassette tape with Dolly Parton! :)

...it came with the purchase of my '64 Mustang! :lol:

20. tedtan

tedtan SS.org Regular

CDs aren't the "in" thing right now, but they can be made for about $0.84/each with cardboard sleeve and around $0.99/each with jewel case, so they could still be sold for $3-$5 and then converted to MP3/OGG/FLAC/whatever. That would leave enough profit for the band to justify making the CDs and get the music out to people, so they are still viable, just not "in" right now. And honestly, I'd prefer the FLAC rip from a CD to a cassette or MP3, myself.

Cassettes definitely wear out, so I would rip them to your computer using the best sound card/converter you can into uncompressed WAV or AIFF files and then make any cassette dupes, MP3 conversions, or whatever from that. Not only will the digital file not degrade (so you can continue making cassette dupes from it for the rest of your life), but you can tweak it with a bit of noise reduction and EQ to get something that actually sounds better than going to another tape dupe. Remember that every generation you go through on tape loses quality, so always use the highest quality master you can.