Carvin Vader

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by jc986, Jan 8, 2015.

1. ThePIGI King

ThePIGI King Ibanez Enthusiast

You are probably one of my favorite people alive right now. I thank you for that awesome pic. My wallet, however, does not thank you.

2. feraledge

feraledge Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?

After seeing a bunch of these now, some of those tops are really slick, but the solid colors just look perfect on this. Seafoam and blue mist in particular are stunning.

3. mbardu

mbardu SS.org Regular

Incoming

[​IMG]

4. mbardu

mbardu SS.org Regular

Actual non-mobile screenshot picture

[​IMG]

Yeah i know its a 6... but this is the one vader topic :)

5. andyjanson

andyjanson SS.org Regular

Suddenly struck with gas for a 25.5" V6, how are you going about ordering these? I've been playing with the builder but it seems there's a lot of options that aren't listed on there?

6. ferret

ferret Not worthy

Rule #1 with carvin is that the builder is to get a general idea what you want.... Then you call in to discuss and find out about other ideas/suggestions/unlisted options.

Call Chris Hong he'll get you sorted.

7. xzacx

xzacx SS.org Regular

Wow, this is probably my favorite one i've seen yet.

8. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

These solid color tops have been on point.

9. MetalBuddah

MetalBuddah 0000 00 0 0 00 000

Because the forearm contour doesn't have that line from the figured wood tops lol The finishes look stunning on those but the line ruins the aesthetic.

10. decreebass

decreebass ...Mulva?

Meh. The contour/line grows on you. I agree that some of the solid ones have been on point, but it's a different kind of beauty than figured wood tops. I don't think the solids have been any nicer than the nice figured ones.

11. HighGain510

HighGain510 Contributor

I dunno, the more I see the figured tops (especially non-bursted) with the sheer drop between the top and back wood showing on the top of the guitar, the less excited I am by the prospect of ordering another one with a figured top next time. Until they do a true drop top on these, it's solid colors only for me (and many others, it seems :lol:). I still love the solid finish on my Vader because it accents the lines quite nicely, but honestly I would have preferred going with a nice figured top and just couldn't get past the top just stopping halfway down the forearm contour and it hasn't grown on me in the months since release. :shrug: That being said, the McLaren Yellow is absolutely calling my name so I am not entirely saddened by the prospect of another Vader with an opaque finish! :wub:

My guess is that the reason they can't/won't do it is that it's probably because the process for doing a true drop top/bent top is different than the standard "glue it up, hit the CNC, sand and prep for paint" setup that Kiesel uses for everything else that Carvin/Kiesel build. It would require vacuum bag setups and much more time/space to do, and if he doesn't wish to do that because it's too much work, that's cool. But I still don't buy the "forearm contour is SOOOO steep, it's just not possible on these guitars!" explanation that was given in one of the videos where he answered that AMA question. :shrug: :lol: Not trying to rag on him here, but I've seen lots of other guitars with thick tops and similar forearm contours handle drop tops just fine, so the reasoning behind them shearing off a chunk of the top wood is merely for factory efficiency and not because it's physically impossible. That's his prerogative though (and I don't blame him), he wants to run an efficient factory and that's good for everyone in terms of wait time, but I think he's leaving a lot of cash on the table from all these orders being placed that would have had $200-600 more in options if those same folks who wanted figured tops had gone with a nice top and custom finish. :2c: Time will tell if he realizes this and decides to dig into it some more and do the cost/benefit analysis to figure out if it's worth it to him. :agreed:

12. JSanta

JSanta SS.org Regular

If anyone is interested, the one I had is up for sale by Carvin.

13. Chokey Chicken

Chokey Chicken mouth breather

I could have sworn Kiesel bent the tops. There's a video, I believe involving the tone king, where they show the bending of the top. I find it hard to believe that they didn't try to get the top to bend properly. I'm not experienced in how bendy wood is, but if they think it's not wise, I'll take their word on it. With all the stuff that Kiesel is willing to do, I don't think it's a matter of cost on their part. I'll take the comfort of the contour over a blocky edge. Sure it's an opinion, and everyone is entitled to theirs, but the cut really isn't worth mentioning. I certainly wouldn't talk about it like Kiesel will "realize the error of their ways" and start making them with the bent top or blocky/non chopped top. Judging by how many folks ordered tops, it's less of an issue than folks seem to think.

To be clear, I don't fault people for not liking it. I just find it weird that people seem to think that Kiesel just didn't try hard enough and that they'll maybe alter the design in the future when they're making plenty of money on their current design.

14. ferret

ferret Not worthy

I don't think it's a matter of "didn't try hard enough." I think what bothers some people is that the reason given just doesn't seem valid. We'd rather him just say "Our production model doesn't fit with the extra steps and time required to bend the top properly."

15. HighGain510

HighGain510 Contributor

Exactly. :yesway:

16. mbardu

mbardu SS.org Regular

What other guitars from other builders have those steep tops with bent shape that you guys all seem to discuss? Do they offer the same choices of woods as Carvin does? Because maybe figured maple is easy to bend...but for instance plain maple or hard walnut (options for Carvin) are not?

Anyway - as far as I'm concerned I have enough figured tops in my collection and was planning a solid-top / natural back anyway - so the Vader is perfect for that as it is :)

17. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

I agree its a different kind of beauty. There's a certain clean, unembellished minimalism with a solid colored (or solid top) guitar that I don't feel is apparent with figured top guitars.

Don't get me wrong, I like figured tops, and own expensive figured top guitars, but I'm starting to like the clean, plain look more and more, probably more so than figured tops at this point.

The light airy looks of the seafoam green and light blue, with maple and white are a nice juxtaposition to all the black sevens and eights out there, too.

18. Chokey Chicken

Chokey Chicken mouth breather

I'm actually curious what models have a similar short/steep cut that also offer drop tops. Anybody got any links/model names that do? It seems like a fairly unique cut to me, but some of Y'all (highgain mostly, as I see you've messed with some tasty axes) have fiddled with some higher end/non-standard axes that I may not be aware of.

19. andyjanson

andyjanson SS.org Regular

Anyone else like the top cutoff? I think it looks cool :shrug: That said the solid colours look great too.

20. HighGain510

HighGain510 Contributor

There are PLENTY of companies that do drop tops, this is not some sort of new technology, and many of them offer woods beyond just maple. If you need ME to prove it to you, here is a REAL comparison of a Vader with a guitar that has a true drop top/bent top so people can stop arguing the point.

This is MY Vader next to MY Suhr Modern, both taken right now:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There is your proof. My Suhr Modern Collection guitar even has a burl maple top which is not as easy to work with on drop tops due to the voids, so bending the top and not having it look like crap or cracking it is nice work on Suhr's part. Again, as you can see the slope on the Vader's forearm contour is not nearly as drastic as Jeff was trying to make it seem in his video (nor is it as steep as the Modern which is a fairly typical drop top forearm contour), yet Suhr can do it no problem.

Again guys, in typical fashion, when I'm giving my opinion on stuff like this, it's usually based on fact and not just made up ideas as I go along like some people. :shrug: Clearly bending a top is possible without having to cut half of the forearm contour off, and clearly it's not difficult for Suhr as they're doing this every day with multiple woods. I had both guitars available in front of me since I had the Vader arrive so I saw the difference myself in person, which is why I was questioning this whole thing in the first place. If you want to say they can't do it because it's a cost/labor saving effort, I absolutely agree. If you want to say it's because it can't be done due to the forearm contour being too severe, I will call BS every time. ;)