Carvin DC727 7-string vs Ibanez 7421

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by rx, Dec 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rx

rx I drink water.

Mind Riot has offered me an Ibanez RG7421 for $300 with Dimarzio pickups.

currently I have a Carvin 7-string I got for $540. I am not quite happy with the way it sounsd and the way it plays..... the string spacing is too goddamn wide at the bridge!!

so I am wondering if I should sell my carvin 7-string and buy the RG7421 instead.

here's the Carvin...
    alder body
    neck-through
    maple neck, ebony board
    carvin pickups
    straplocks

total cost was $540

here's the ibanez...
    basswood body
    bolt-on
    maple neck and rosewood fretboard
    dimarzio pickups

total will be $300 + shipping

I don't play my 7-string carvin much, but I really want a 7-string as part of my family. what should I do? I know the Carvin is great in terms in build quality and whatnot, but I'm not too fond of the sound, and I can't spend any more money on guitars... so might as well get rid of this and get a cheaper guitar and earn a bit of money to deposit into my banking account

what do you guys think?

thanks

2. Digital Black

Digital Black SS.org Regular

I'd hop down to a music shop and get your hands on any 7 string Ibanez, see if you like it. They aren't all exactly the same but it will give you a rough idea weather or not you'll like the string spacing.

Incdentially, for the 1st 10 years of my playing it was only 6 strings. A year and a half ago I got my 1st 7. While I felt this wider neck and strings were right for me, it still took me almost a year to get completely comfortable with it. I forced myself to shed my 6 string thinking.
    I've been with watching your adventure with getting a 7 string. I knew you wouldn't dig the Carvin. IMO, Carvins aren't the same as they used to be 5 years ago. While I don't think the quality really suffered, it their particular style of the way the make things that detracts. It's nice to custom build a Carvin to haowever you want it. But I honestly think they take too many shortcuts in design to enable all those options.
    Just my 2 cents , not claiming to be any kind of authority on the subject so feel free to disagree.

3. WayneCustom7

WayneCustom7 Paolo Contributor

Hmmminteresting, cause I am on the fence over the Carvin 7 and a Washburn USA 7...How much do you want for the Carvin?

4. rx

rx I drink water.

didn't you decide to get a Washburn 7-string already?

I'm asking for $540 with free shipping.

that is, IF I want to sell my Carvin. I'm still deciding whether or not I really want to, so I'll let you know if I'm gonna sell it. If I do sell it though I'm planning on buying Mind Riot's RG7421... woah, forum deals going on!! :cool:

5. WayneCustom7

I'm still on the fence like you...can you tell me more about the Carvin...even if you don't sell I'll atleast have more info...thanks and good luck!

6. Mind Riot

Mind Riot Devoted seven stringer Contributor

As much as I would love to just sell the Ibanez and be done with it, Sephiroth000 gave good advice. I would try one out first and see if it's for you. Not everyone loves the Wizard necks, although a heck of a lot of people do. And if the Carvin not being comfortable to play is one complaint, then the RG7421 may be a good thing, it's just about the most comfortable guitar to play I've owned.

But what's confortable for me may not be so for you. So I would strongly agree with Sephiroth000, see if you can try one out. Just remember not to judge it on the pickups, because the stocks are nothing special and the Dimarzios I have in this thing are a vast improvement.

And if you try one out and decide you don't like the RG7 feel, no prob. I'd rather keep trying to sell it on ebay or something that have someone I sell it to be unhappy with it, especially someone I interact with on the boards.

AND if you try out an RG7 and don't like the feel, let it be known that I'm screwed in the head for blowing the deal by advising you to do it. :nuts:

7. rx

rx I drink water.

more about the carvin...........

well, it's got a lot of mids, at least mine does. GREAT clean tone. the clean tone is the best I've heard on a 7-string through the clean channel of my amp. absolutely amazing. TONS of sustain, but does not give me any feedback, which is amazing. I think it's the Carvin pickups. great access to the higher frets, 24 frets, coil-splittable pickups with volume and tone control. tung oil finish... action is pretty good, although the guitar needs a setup... I set it up myself for the moment until I can pay for a good setup. but it still plays great. comes with locking tuners, and it has a string-through bridge. neck is pretty thin, like a Wizard 7 neck, but maybe a little thicker. the string spacing at the bridge is wide... which is just personal preference. string spacing at nut is a bit wider than a Gibson or ESP too.

here...

[​IMG]

8. Jim Soloway

Jim Soloway Soloway Guitars

Setting aside the market value and just focussing on the guitars themselves, I'd take a 7421 over an alder/maple 727 any day of the week. I like the feel better and I like the sound better.

9. WayneCustom7

I find Ibanez guitars have a thin sound, like tin...but that's me!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.