Carvin DC700 - Fixed bridge w/string savers or Tune-O-Matic?

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by legacy5k, Mar 21, 2012.

1. legacy5k

legacy5k SS.org Regular

So last year I built myself a Carvin DC727 and I love it. Of course though, halfway through the build process the DC700 was released. I was a little pissed, but oh well. I guess I just have to build another axe!

Anyway, I have almost all of my options nailed down, but I don't know much about the bridge. I am not getting a trem, but I don't know anything about these Tune-O-Matic bridges outside of their appearance. What kind of benefits do they offer over the standard bridge with string saver saddles, if any? Downsides?

2. Miek

Miek POSTING ON INTERNET

They've got a different feel, but they're slightly less adjustable than a hardtail style.

3. illimmigrant

illimmigrant A Different Logic

I personally don't like the TOM, so I'd go with the fixed bridge which is what I have on mine.
    I would completely skip the string saver saddles. The softer material takes a little bite off the tone. I also pick quite hard and I have to replace the strings not because they break, but because they sound dead after being on the guitar a while. Unless you plan on keeping strings on there for a crazy long time, I'd skip the string saver saddles as I don't see much purpose.

4. Toxin

Toxin no, i don't drink vodka

no TOM for me

5. littledoc

littledoc Go meat!

Hell, I'd go for the TOM simply for aesthetics. I think Carvin's regular hardtail bridge is kind of fugly, and looks weird on the larger body of the 700. They need to do a real hipshot-style bridge like they did for the 800.

6. legacy5k

legacy5k SS.org Regular

Hmm... ok yeah the more that I look at the Tune-o-matic the more it looks like it could be challenging to intonate. At the very least it looks a little less convenient.

I guess I will have to go to guitar center and have a look at some of these bridges.

7. Camer138

Camer138 SS.org Regular

I have both bridges.. the TOM isn't difficult to intonate.. though it does look that way with the strings passing over top and all.

Anyhow, I originally had the fixed bridge with regular saddles and just replaced them with the string saver saddles 2 days ago and I so far prefer the string savers.. they feel and look nicer, already I can tell my tuning is more stable with them, and my standard saddles were breaking strings too often(and I'm not one to break strings so easy!). Even though, as mentioned above, you do lose some bite with the string saver saddles, I think they are worth it over the standard saddles for the other points I made.

As for the Fixed vs the TOM.. I prefer the fixed for the fact that you can raise the action of each individual string opposed to the TOM where you have to raise the whole thing one side at a time. Both are comfortable in my opinion.. but the fixed bridge wins based off of that fact alone for me.

8. purpledc

purpledc Proud blacksheep

Get the FT7 over the TOM any day. I got the TOM and I regret it. I got it because im used to them and like the look but the FT7 is a better bridge. The reason being that with any TOM from carvin you will get ringing of the strings behind the bridge. The FT7 will not produce these noises due to its design and how the strings terminate over the saddles. So really even when thinking of aesthetics yes the TOM looks nicer at first but looks even worse than the FT7 after you stuff foam inbetween it and the ferrules to deaden the noise. Now if only carvin would offer the hipshot bridge on the DC700 Id quit bitching.

9. Camer138

Camer138 SS.org Regular

I'm curious.. could you just do a direct replacement for the ft7 with a hipshot?

10. legacy5k

legacy5k SS.org Regular

Hmm, thanks for that point, purpledc.... I hadn't really considered that there might be ringing behind the saddles on the tune-o-matic.

That was a big problem with my DC727 with ringing past the nut, but I managed to take care of it with a string muter. If the ringing were between the saddles and body, that would be a bitch to take care of without it looking shitty.... damn! I guess string savers it will have to be.

11. Erazoender

Erazoender Aliens

I seem to be posting this in a lot of threads but I hope it's applicable and people don't take this as me just showing off! (Well okay I kind of am... :) )

[​IMG]

I've got a TOM in another guitar and the Hipshot with graphtech saddles are AMAZING, completely blow the TOM away. Highly recommend it!

12. purpledc

no the hipshot uses three screws under the saddles and the FT7 uses four screws at each corner of the bridge. You could do it but it would look weird. Best option would be to see if carvin would let you supply the bridge for assembly or build it without a bridge and add it yourself.

13. zslane

zslane Member

I don't like FT7 style bridges because adjusting action is a royal pain. You can't just raise the entire bridge to make overall string height adjustments. If you want to raise all the strings up 1.5mm, for instance, you have to raise every single saddle separately, which means you have to be careful to maintain radius curvature as you do so. If your neck is built correctly, you shouldn't have to make per-string height adjustments for action; the saddles should just match the radius curvature of the neck at the base. The saddles of a T-O-M bridge are already sized to match neck radius, relieving you from ever having to check or set that yourself.

Intonation is just as easy on a T-O-M as on an FT7. One screw moves the saddle forwards or backwards in either case.

As for ringing behind the bridge, that shouldn't happen if the saddle notches are filed correctly. String vibration terminates at the saddle; if it doesn't something is wrong with your specific hardware, not the bridge design.

14. Floppystrings

Floppystrings No like the floppy

I like tune-o-matics more than any bridge by far.

They just fit my hand, and my playing style. Pick attack for me is easier when the strings are raised above the body slightly, I can move more and play really hard and dig into the strings.

I know I am unusual though. I am slowly modding an RG7621 to have a tune-o-matic, and strings through body like the Apex II. I got a little flack, three posts in a row of people saying they prefer the original bridge.

Maybe they didn't think about the fact that there has never been a Japanese RG with a tune-o-matic. Or maybe they just really hate that bridge style I have no idea.

Anyway, I would obvious go for the tune-o-matic. Yeah you can't adjust the individual string height, and yes, sometimes the radius of the bridge is different than the fretboard, meaning low action is almost impossible, unless the neck has a 14" radius, like the standard tune-o-matic radius. I tend to have my action medium/high, to avoid low string buzz anyway, so it all works out for me.

These are all things to consider.

15. Camer138

Camer138 SS.org Regular

Carvin 7's don't use hipshot bridges!

16. Erazoender

Erazoender Aliens

Herp Hipshot STYLE bridge :p

17. purpledc

This only applies if you go with the standard radius from carvin. The FT7 will adapt to any radius that carvin offers. And actually the FT7 is easier to intonate because the screw to move the saddle on the ft7 is behind the bridge and no string over the screw like on the TOM. And no, im sorry your wrong. Vibration does not terminate at the bridge. If it did you wouldnt feel the vibrations in a guitars body or neck as it wouldnt transfer into the the body through the hardware if that were the case. Ive seen some of the most well thought out guitars from many different makers utilize foam and or tape behind the bridge to combat sympathy vibrations. Ive had this issue with every single TOM bridge ive owned. The issue is in the bridges design. The strings terminate on a very thin portion of the saddle. Its almost as if the string rides on a knife edge. Its simply not enough material to kill all the vibration of a very resonant guitar. This is why many companies like PRS preferred the wrap around. Some people the ringing doesnt bother them or they dont even notice it. But once you pick up on it it will annoy you like nails on a chalkboard. Same thing with can happen behind the nut on many many different guitars. The only ones ive found this not to be an issue are on nuts that are thicker, and guitars with string trees.

18. oremus91

oremus91 Melodeth-er

So many people talking about breaking strings.. I broke a string once on my first guitar and I haven't since. Do you people switch them like once a year?!