Carvin Custom 9 String!

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by median, Aug 7, 2014.

Will you contact Carvin and ask them to produce a 9 string guitar?

1. Yes

10.2%
  2. No

89.8%
  1. median

median SS.org Regular

They don't make them yet but I am hoping to get a bunch of people on board to email Chris Hong (chrish@carvin.com), and anyone else at Carvin, asking them to start producing 9s!

Who's with me? Let's show them there is demand!

:hbang:

[​IMG]

Also, contact Jeff Kiesel (who is Chris's boss) on his FB page here: https://www.facebook.com/jeff.kiesel.43?fref=ts

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
  2. Thrashman

Thrashman Got Groove?

Seeing how long it took them to finally make the DC800, I don't think we'll see a 9-string model in the pipeline anytime soon..

3. median

median SS.org Regular

If there is enough demand they will. I live 10 minutes from the factory (here in San Diego, CA) and have seen things change. We just need to start contacting them and asking for a 9 string to be built.

4. Mike

Mike The Traveler

I would love to see that down the road, but I really think that's a long way off. I'm pretty sure headless 7's, passive 8 string pickups, multi-scale, and alternate 8 string shapes are a lot higher up on R&D's priority list than a 9 string model.

I think the big problem with a 9 for Carvin is finding a base set of specs that everyone will agree on that will sell well. Everyone is going to want something different and until the 9 string market actually starts to show promise, I can't see them even considering this.

Now that my feasibility rant is done, Carvin give me a 9 string before I turn 30 or before tool releases a new album and I'll be a happy camper.

5. median

median SS.org Regular

Please send Chris an email and ask for a 9 to be produced. It would be amazing if they would make one. They just need to know there is enough people who want them to do it. Personally, I want a 30" scale to keep things tight.

6. Patriot

Patriot mmmmmmmm.

Median, you know im on board. although you know id like to see a multiscale 31-27! excited for us to get this thing live....

7. Thaeon

Thaeon Cosmic Question Asker

IF something like this were to happen, I don't think thing that a uniform scale is appropriate. A multiscale instrument is honestly better on anything past 7 strings. The longer the scale on the higher strings the more difficult it is to play solos, thus limiting the market. Which is why both ibanez and carvin split the difference for the 8 string with a 27" scale.

8. rjg3000

rjg3000 SS.org Regular

I think if Carvin did this it would put pressure on other companies to keep up and offer competition to the few who do. Nothing but positives will come out of this.

9. Mike

Mike The Traveler

If you follow their history though, Carvin isn't really one to innovate or be an early adopter of anything relating to extended range guitars. They usually follow suit after the competition has already gone ahead and proved something will sell.

10. Cloudy

Cloudy Wood Labs

Doubt this will happen anytime before a new headless shape, 7 string headless, multiscale, passive 8s etc as said before.

Id rather hound them about those first :(

11. JoshuaKaroshi

JoshuaKaroshi Karoshi

*Facepalm*

12. Adam Of Angels

Adam Of Angels The GAS Man

I want to see baritone 6 strings from Carvin before they delve into the super-niche world. I'm not sure how likely they are to make a 9 string.

13. rockskate4x

rockskate4x rockskate4x

i second that notion. A baritone 6 would be much more widely marketable than a 9 string

14. median

median SS.org Regular

Well, I like my high notes. So I'm sticking to my 9 and I would love to see Carvin make both! Lots of companies are making 9s now (Ibanez, Agile, Legator, etc). For me, it would be great to see them head this up. However, Chris has told me through email that the demand needs to be there. So it's likely they won't do one at all if they don't get enough shredders asking for one.

15. Valennic

Valennic Many Fingers

Yeah no, I don't think that's anywhere nearby in Carvin's future. Besides, a straight scale 9 in itself is just a meh idea. The string tensions on that thing, in my opinion of course, would be totally ....ed for anyone that wanted to use it for more than the low C#.

Two major companies with one model a piece, having not been out long enough to even generate a predictable trend, and two internet companies whose customers come primarily from this site for their ERG sales, do not constitute a market unfortunately. Carvin needs a bit more than a few people to set up an entirely new production line. The DC800 was a risk for them, but they had a lot of push for it and it payed off for them.

Don't take this as an, "I don't want a damned 9 string." kind of reply, because I do; but delving into a straight fret 9, or hell, even a fanned fret 9, would be a massive financial mistake this early on in the 9's existence. Give it a few years and see if the 9 is still a viable production guitar.

16. Rap Hat

Rap Hat the:pawn.project

I'm also of the mindset that Carvin needs to do multiscale first - if it was a straight scale 9 at 27" the lowest notes would have issues, and at 30" you'd be hitting plateau on the highs.

Once multi picks up, I could see a 9 getting some thought.

17. wannabguitarist

wannabguitarist Contributor

How many 9 string players do we have on this site? :lol:

18. Mike

Mike The Traveler

24 and a half.

19. TRENCHLORD

TRENCHLORD Banned

Nah, that's three strings too many for me :lol:.
    I hate seeing them try to keep expanding so quickly.
    In my mind that just means more workers who have less experience building.

20. TheLyrm

TheLyrm SS.org Regular

All I want is a baritone 6 first.