Carvin Audio factory is closing up shop.

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by spudmunkey, Oct 9, 2017.

1. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

Per Carvin Audio:
    From Kiesel Guitars, formerly a part of the same company for decades:

2. Spinedriver

Spinedriver SS.org Regular

Just a few months ago they started selling the new Legacy Drive pedal. If they saw this coming, it a wonder they bothered to put it out at all. Sadly though, the market is only so big and with more & more new companies popping up that are selling inexpensive gear, older/smaller companies that used to be fairly recognizeable are going under.

3. Scordare

Scordare SS.org Regular

Noooo!!! Man that sux..Carvin is totally gone now?!...I think separating the companies was a mistake. Carvin amps had a lot of good stuff. My TS100 power amp is the most reliable, workhorse power amp I've ever owned and I love the vertical 2x12's. Time to start hoarding....

Descent likes this.
  4. kylendm

kylendm Electrical Mercenary

That totally sucks. I really wanted to get a PA soon too.

5. spudmunkey

If they were doing poorly enough to bring both down, it made sense to split, sadly.

6. spudmunkey

I also wondered that. They moved to a new place, too, just a few months ago. It seems like if they were in bad enough shape they should have just closed then...or perhaps it was after the move that they decided there wasn't a clear path ahead, and cut out before it was too late.

7. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

Say what you want about Jeff...but he knows how to market himself better then the audio side. When you don’t put out new stuff and have a social media following you basically can’t surgive anymore.
    They must have been doing really poorly to not pull any profit from their pro audio division.

8. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

I don’t know that there is a “master plan,” but I DO know that the Carvin name and product line has some value. I doubt they will just close up shop. My prediction is that Jeff will buy out the name after they go down, and then hype them and drive sales of a rebranded amps and etc. I wouldn’t be surprised if they dropped the PA line, but I’d bet just about anything Jeff grabs the amp and pedal line, rebrands it as Keisel, and markets it the same way as the guitars. There will Be package deals, spec runs, etc. He’ll control the whole company.

9. wedge_destroyer

wedge_destroyer SS.org Regular

Damn, a V3 was on my short list too...

I've also seriously considered some of their PA gear to build a rig

10. couverdure

couverdure No Gear Day

What's Steve Vai gonna endorse now that the maker of his amps are gone? Is he gonna go Fractal full time or does he own a lifetime supply of Legacy amps?

I'll have to believe the latter considering how big his guitar and gear collection is.

11. marcwormjim

marcwormjim SS.org Regular

I assume either Jeff will buy production rights, or we’ll see a Vai-branded amp line at NAMM 2019.

12. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

He'll probably endorse whomever coughs up the biggest check.

Is it possible that when they split, they used Carvin as a debt shelter or whatever? Not sure what it's called, but bigger companies will buy smaller companies and unload all of their debt on the smaller company.

13. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

nothing that complicated happened.
    jeff wanted the guitar side because the brand wasn't doing jack shit to account for changing market conditions.
    after the split the audio side continued to do exactly that.

14. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

A few posters here had said this would happen a few years ago so no surprise really.

15. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

I doubt Carvin was the company who issued the biggest checks to begin with. He used Marshalls with David Lee Roth so who knows.

16. marcwormjim

marcwormjim SS.org Regular

The Vai-propagated myth of his relationship with Carvin is that it was rooted in the sentiment of a teenage Vai drooling over their catalogs. That that explanation never accounted for the business side of things is why I’ve always wanted to hear an insider’s accounting of the history there. I’m hoping the dissolution can (at least) give us that.

17. spudmunkey

TKK said in a video this morning that Carvin sent him some info that the amp/pro audio factory is closing up, but that Carson Kiesel's two children (or at least two of them, Jeff Kiesel's cousins) will be at the helm of Carvin's new focus, pedals as started with the Legacy Drive.

18. Petar Bogdanov

Petar Bogdanov SS.org Regular

I'm not sure about that. He said they could make it priced realistically, and remember, when the Legacy I came out, any good two-channel tube amp would have run you $1500 and Carvin was hitting WAY below that.

Descent and ah_graylensman like this.
  19. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Totally sucks.

I had used Carvin PA equipment for my band since we got our first non-shitty PA system. The company had always resolved any issues I had with grace and professionalism. I think maybe there is no place for that sort of effort (read: cost) in the 2017 business world, where most people just buy a piece of garbage system for $250 and throw it away if it stops working. It's the same mentality with pro audio speakers now - where you used to be able to get kits to recone a blown speaker, people just buy a new speaker now and throw the old one, magnet, basket, and all, in the landfill. :shrug:

Anyway, super sad to see this happen, but I can't say I didn't expect it.

20. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

Pedals? Eh... I thought the Legacy was overpriced and didn't sound all that great. Maybe they should work on preamps, rather than distortion pedals. Even preamps in pedal form would be cool.