Carvin adding OFR's to their 7 strings ...for lefties?!??!?!??

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by Cancer, Nov 13, 2009.

1. Cancer

Cancer Cancer:The Crucifuct

From there website:
    "Carvin is excited to add a left-handed Floyd Rose tremolo to our lineup of Custom Shop guitar options. If you're a left-handed guitarist, now you can have this legendary double-locking tremolo (with or without locking nut) added to your Custom Shop DC Series guitar, Carved Top Series guitar or 7-string guitar. The Floyd Rose tremolo is one of the most popular tremolos in use today, and Carvin is pleased to offer this option for our left-handed customers. "

I just went to their website and apparently, this option exist for right hand as well. Someone please check me on this, I don't want to spread false information.

I mean why would you make available for left hand players and not right hand players....:scratch:

2. renzoip

renzoip I Am the Table

To my understanding, they will be offering OFR for left handed 6 strings only. Their 7's will have a left handed LFR much like their right handed ones.

3. Cancer

If this is true then Carvin can bite me, because that is NOT what the email I received led me to believe. No where on that email does it say "licensed" and since they DO NOT, nor HAVE THEY EVER offered a licensed trem on a six string, if you are correct, then that email is a straight up lie.

4. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

FFS dude the email has poor word choice and was probably written by a business intern that doesn't even know what a Floyd Rose is. It also doesn't say ORIGINAL in the email anywhere either, which would lead me to believe they just didn't want to get into semantics.

5. renzoip

renzoip I Am the Table

That's what I thought too. They know how desirable OFR's are so think they would have specified.

What I understand is the following:

Left-handed 6's = Left-handed OFR

Left-handed 7's = Left-handed LFR

I think it's mainly a problem with the way it was worded. I can see how it can be misleading. But from what I know (since I own two carvin 7's), the string spacing in the ORF is wider than the Carvin neck is designed for. That's why they (and other companies such as Bo-El) have to use LFRs.

6. lurgar

lurgar SS.org Regular

I know it doesn't have the word Original in front of it's name, but the floyd on 7x7's is pretty fricken good and I haven't had any problems with it going out of tune when using it or anything.

7. Cancer

That fine, I'm calmer now, lack of lunch is making me angsty. Sorry folks, false alarm, nothing to see here.

8. kherman

kherman SS.org Regular

What I understand is the following:

Left-handed 6's = Left-handed OFR

Left-handed 7's = Left-handed LFR

This is correct.

But from what I know (since I own two carvin 7's), the string spacing in the ORF is wider than the Carvin neck is designed for. That's why they (and other companies such as Bo-El) have to use LFRs.

Also correct.