Carvin 747 and Bare Knuckle pickup fail

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by Acme, Mar 14, 2013.

1. Acme

Acme SS.org Regular

It all started when I decided to change the lifeless active 81-7s in my LTD SC-607 to passive pickups. My choises turned out to be the VHII to the neck and the Nailbomb to the bridge position. However as soon as the pickups arrived I realized that I don't really like the the way the pickups are located, so I sold the guitar. Time passed by, while the pickups were patiently waiting in the drawer to find a new place to live. The thing is, that about a month ago I've purchased a Carvin DC747, which seemed to be a perfect home for them. And the nightmare started... First we noticed that we have to drill a hole for the mounting screw, because one side of the Carvin stock pickups is mounted with two screws, however the classic pickups have one on each side. So be it! We drilled an extra hole for each pickup. OK. When we tried to insert the pickups, they didn't fit. The mounting tabs were too long to fit the cavity, so the tabs needed to be cut a bit shorter. Fine, no biggie, did it. Then came the real shock. The pickups' height didn't fit the cavity either. So we had to disassemble the pickups and CUT THE PICKUP HEDGES to fit the guitar. Which is absolutely insane! Ok, there would be an option to dremel the cavity but if I have to decide between damaging a guitar or a pickup, my vote would go for the pickup ten times out of ten. Finally, after 4 hours of surgery we managed to insert the pickups into the guitar but this was a nasty, filty and disguisting experience. SO LISTEN UP, CARVIN: SHOVE YOUR GUITARS AND YOUR ****** PICKUPS UP YOUR ***!!!
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Vinchester likes this.
  2. Speculum Speculorum

Speculum Speculorum SS.org Regular

Not to, uh... shit in your salad, pal. But if you googled or even did a search on this very forum about putting BKPs into a Carvin guitar, you'd have known about it before hand. It does seem like you maybe had a little more trouble than other guys who have done the same thing, however.

I suppose you are in Hungary, though. So you probably had to pay a much prettier penny than us stateside folk. Sorry you had the time you did. Bummer.

3. VBCheeseGrater

VBCheeseGrater not quite a shredder

That sucks man. I hate those 2 screws on a side pickups. I mean its useful for tilting the pup, but a pain in the ass for everything else. I had a Micheal kelly like that i think.

4. metecem

metecem SS.org Regular

I don't get it.

You wanted to customize and this is what it takes.

Just relax and enjoy mate.

;)

5. straightshreddd

straightshreddd Dat Dood

I would have been terrified to do that. Wouldn't that pickup surgery alter the sound of the pickups? I mean, trimming the tabs doesn't seem too wild. But, disassembling the over $200 BKPs? I feel like something tonally would change. How do they sound now that you've done all this?

6. Vinchester

Vinchester SS.org Regular

Great job on the modding OP, is your Carvin more than a few years old? I heard they only very recently introduced the D26 pickups which has industry standard route..

I'm surprised BKPs doesn't fit. From the official specs they are even smaller than Dimarzios. Oh boy.

Now all this would be much easier if the gutiars come with pickup rings. We'd only have to drill a hole on the ring not the guitar body.

7. teleofseven

teleofseven spontaneus orgasmer

swapping out pickups shouldn't be this much of a hassle.

so your comment isn't too clever.:scratch:

8. Jonathan20022

Jonathan20022 Engineer

Honestly, you should have researched a bit more into this before buying either. It's a fairly common issue with people retrofitting BKP's, not one you should have to go through, but you would have saved yourself some trouble for sure.

9. Alberto7

Alberto7 Silly Goose Engineering

Oops! Someone didn't do his homework! That could have been easily avoided, actually. It's good to search around before modding your instrument in any way.

Then again, I don't blame you all that much, as it seems like more or less "common sense" (to put it some way) that pickup routes should be universal.. I love Carvins (I have a DC727 myself, with a D-Sonic on the bridge), but I do dislike their non-standard pickup routes. They seem to be changing that nowadays on their newer models, though.