Carvin 7 VS Music Man JP7

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by Paolo Gilberto, Apr 8, 2014.

1. Paolo Gilberto

Paolo Gilberto Member

hi guys,

I am very interested if some of you (and I know for sure there are some :)) - one guy from Hawaii I recall :)) ) have or had both Carvin 7 string and JP7?
    I wanna make a decision for the future and don't have the chance to play any of this:
    order a Carvin DC726 with passive pickups, FR (1000 series though), active electronics and single coils switches for 1270 $ (or 1570$ with maple top) or the JP11 , 12, 13 or Majesty 7 string version!?
    I have a JP6 a JP100D and a JP70 ....while the sterling are nice guitars for the price tag the Music Man JP is in other league :))
    recorded one may not hear huge difference on some random riffs cause the sterlings are after all a JP clone in shape and sound ....but when playing them and comparing them head to head the difference in huge in terms of hardware and sound also...very hard to describe though why the sound is better on the real deal :))
    I was hoping that this Sterlings were gonna blow my mind and I will sell the JP6 and Luke that I currently also own and for 1/4 of their price keep the sterlings
    well that is not gonna happen, if you had the music man it's hard to accept something bellow ...if you never own a music man you might swear that those are fabulous guitars and sound just as the music man.
    but music man is premium/high end and sterling is the average (very nice though)
    it's like having a 80.000 % Mercedes than buy a 20.000$ Volkswagen

I had the chance a few years ago to play 2 models- 6 strings Carvin and loved them, but it was like 5-6 years ago
    so any advice will be great.
    I want something premium/high end like the music man.
    is carvin there or is somewhere between stelring and music man :)
    thanks a lot

2. will_shred

will_shred Wannabe audio engineer

If you're in Romania go with a JP7, I've heard Carvin can be kind of a pain to deal with internationally. Either way, you're going to be getting a really top notch guitar.

3. Paolo Gilberto

Paolo Gilberto Member

:) both scenarios some friend from US will order them for me and ship them here.
    all my guitars were bought from US
    there are no serious dealers here for carvin or music man, only ibanez, fender

4. will_shred

will_shred Wannabe audio engineer

In that case it's really personal preference. I've played both, fell in love with both. Music Man's have ultra thin necks though, sometimes it can even be awkwardly thin whereas Carvin's are a thicker C shape neck.

5. Avogadr0

Avogadr0 Well-Known Member

I don't know about their 7 strings, but my Carvin 8 string feels like it has more of a "D" profile, is thick enough to feel like a guitar neck, but thin enough that you can shred with ease. People comment all the time on how comfortable the neck is, and that's on an 8 string too.

Me personally I really don't like the JP headstock, and aesthetics mean a lot to me. As well as neck thru guitars.

But I can only comment on the playability of the Carvin, because I've never even seen a JP in a music store, let alone played one.

6. 7stringsearcher

7stringsearcher SS.org Regular

Hey man! I've got a DC727 and a JPXI-7 for my 7s.
    I love them both almost equally and the only reason is because the Carvin is currently without pups. :( but yeah man. They both have the good points and not as good points(no bad ones haha). Like the JP neck is SUPER thin and plays like a dream, but can be awkward and almost too thin. But I love the tremelo system on it even though I usually hate tremelos. The piezo is cool but totally unnecessary for me. It sounds pretty awesome with my aftermath/liquifire combo. Then my Carvin is amazing. The neck is almost perfect, could be a bit thinner. But I love the way it plays, it's a beauty, the string thru bridge, and it is soon to have Blackhawks in it.
    So in my opinion...I hate all other tremelos besides JP ones, but they are both incredible guitars and I would recommend either one. Oh and btw, the new DC7X have baritone scales so that is somethingn to consider..

7. Ocara-Jacob

Ocara-Jacob SSO Recluse

A friend of mine who has both a JP7 and a Carvin DC747 says that while they're both great guitars, there's something about the Carvin that makes him want to play it more often. The neck on Carvins are a LITTLE less wide than your typical seven string, and they're super comfortable guitars. And of course you can spec one out however you'd like.

FWIW, I ordered a DC727 of my own a little over a week ago, and I also have a JP70. If you'd like, I can write up a comparison of the two for you when the DC727 arrives.

8. JoshuaKaroshi

JoshuaKaroshi Karoshi

I plunged into a DC727 over the summer and I love it for pretty much the same reasons mentioned above.

I think the JP bodies are a bit more comfortable, but the neck on my carvin is immaculate which makes up for this.

9. jephjacques

jephjacques BUTTS LOL

It's a toss-up, they're both really good guitars. Just depends whether you want a bolt-on or a neck through.

10. Joshua2209

Joshua2209 SS.org Regular

I have a Carvin DC727 and a Music Man JPX7. To me, given the wood choices and construction, they're vastly different. I end up using them for different applications. Love them both!

11. Spamspam

Spamspam Pastafarian

I prefer Carvins, but basically because I own Carvins.

Both are wonderful guitars, I just prefer the customization of Carvins.

Both very well built. I just like options.

12. JLocrian

JLocrian SS.org Regular

Having played a couple 7 string Carvins, and owning several different JP7s, I definitely prefer the JPs. The Carvins were both great, but for me there's something about the JPs that put them in a league of their own. It all comes down to personal preference though. My opinins on both are as follows:

-The craftsmanship on both are excellent, so you can't go wrong in that aspect.
    -The necks on the JPs are just godly, the XI and 12 being my favorites by far. Those two are incredibly thin though, so if you don't like super thin necks, I'd stick with either a standard JP7 or a JPX. The Carvin necks are nice, but a tad bit too thick for my taste.
    -Like everyone says, the trems on the JPs are great. All the pros of having a floyd without the majority of the cons of one.
    -With the versatility of the JP, it's actually pretty hard to get a tone that you DON'T like. Some people don't like the Crunch Lab, but I actually enjoy it. I've had various BKPs and Dimarzios in my past JPs, but I didn't find any of them to be as well suited for what I like to play as the CL. As long as you don't tune down very far, you should be alright. Oh, and I love the snappiness that bolt-on construction gives you. I don't ever see myself owning anything other than bolt-ons from now on.
    In the small amount of time I played Carvin pups, I had a difficult time dialing in a tone that I enjoyed (Especially their actives). I'm sure if I spent enough time with them I'd be able to get something decent though. I found them to be a little thin sounding and not very ballsy, but a pickups swap could certainly change that.
    -I find JPs to be a LOT more comfortable to play. The bevels and curves are great, and the arm scoop on the standard JP is to die for. The body of Carvin's DC700 model just feels blocky and fat to me. Stick around for their new 7-string models though, I have a feeling one of them is going to fix that, *coughcough* *winkwink* ;)

tl;dr: Both guitars are top notch, and it all comes down to your preference. If you have the money for a JP7 and like the specs, I would recommend going that route 100%. If you prefer customization and their choice of specs fit you better, obviously go with Carvin. Either way, you'll come out with a killer guitar :yesway:

P.S. Make sure to post pics once you get it :D

13. teamSKDM

teamSKDM SS.org Regular

Ive owned both, and altho my absolutely LOVED my carvin 7, i also LOVED my jp7. Theyre both very different beasts, the only things that have in commin is the fact they have 7 strings. But in your situation, id go jp7 no hesitation because of your location.carvin makes just as high as quality of guitars as any other company out there. so i wouldnt say a carvin is higher or less quality than an ebmm, thats where it all comes down to preference. the carvin neck was a little meatier, also a neck through. also determine which kind of bridge you want, if you like floyd styles, or hardtail styles then go carvin. the jp7 trem is very good for subtle use and stays in perfect tune as long as youre not doing any steve vai. and if you block it, it essentially becomes a string through hard tail as well.

14. Svava

Svava Djento ergo sum

Ergonomically, tonally, and aesthetically I prefer the JP's. I do not have that much experience with Carvins but to be straight with you apart from getting an 8 string or getting some odd fanned-fret custom shop invention, I do not feel the need to play any guitar that isn't a JP. It just does it all.

Also if you end up owning more than 1 you can make obnoxious references to your "balls" and confuse the hell out of non guitarists.... though this probably is not the best move if you want to retain friends.

15. vitor gracie

vitor gracie 7 String Convert

I own a JP XI 7 and have spent HOURS in both the San Diego Carvin shop and recently the Hollywood store (Chris -Korean dude is an AMAZING guy to work with) I would say that the JP is really a different animal then a Carvin in terms of guitars. I don't think one is better then the other, I just think you need to really address the specifics of what you need in a guitar.

To me, the JP 7 is the industry standard for top end production model 7-strings. (If you are like me and don't want a metal looking guitar) But the Carvins are build to order, so it's sort of a different animal. I will be ordering a CT7, but that is solely because I prefer carved top, chunky guitars like PRS' The JP was not my normal choice for guitars when it comes to it's aesthetic. (Flat, floating Trem, double cut, sorta super Strat guitar) I prefer more meatier instruments.

But Carvin does all the metal options for their builds as well, so I think you have to decide if you prefer the JP for their stock standard' or the customization that Carvin offeres. I think Carvin has top quality stuff, and that they bring a lot of flexibility to their builds. And that's why I want one.

Personally, I have problems with the neck on my JP. It constantly needs to be adjusted because it's so thin. HOWEVER, it is by far the best neck I have ever played.

The Carvin necks are slightly beefier, but they at still comfortable. So you just have to weigh your options.

Hope that helps.

16. Paolo Gilberto

Paolo Gilberto Member

thank you all very much for replies :) I will update this a little and still be opened to other members hands on experience with both guitars mentioned above :)
    @Ocara-Jacob: a review of the Carvin DC 727 compared to JP70 will be more than helpfull. the 727 is the model I want from carvin though I like better the dc700 body shape , it's just they don't offer the option of passive + all the active electronics and sigl coil switches for the dc 700 , that is possible only for the dc727.

some extra info about what I prefer/know about this subject:
    - I have the Music man JP 6 as stated and the Sterling JP 70

- JP 6 - soft C to a D shape neck

- JP70 - thin D shape neck

- generally I like thin,not to wide, fast necks like the JP and Ibanez wizard, this might be (I am 100 % it is actually this way :))) very related to the fact that I don't have a big hand and long fingers :))

- JP7 - 1st fret :47.6 mm VS Carvin 7 string : 48.51 mm

- Carvin necks seems a bit meatier , thicker /round back of the neck profile. I forget I've recently played a 6 string flying V shape Carvin of a friend. the neck is still very comfortable but compared to the JP6 is as described above.

- bolt on vs neck through : don't have an opinion on this, haven't played to many neck through...the Majesty JP model is his first neck through as you may know :))
    - always loved Carvin guitars but never owned one :)

- a custom Carvin with all the options I want :FR+ piezo, passive pickups + active electronics and coil switches in the same finish color as JP 13 for ex will cost 1/2 compared to a new JP13 7 string :scratch::rolleyes:

- I absolutely love almost all about JP ,the body shape, neck, the tremolo is the best I've played - and sorry guys but it operates way smoother than an original FR (compare if you don't believe me :) ) and I don't do extreme Vai stuff so it's cool enough for me, though I always loved the FR and hoped for FR JP I am not so sure now :)). only thing I always hated like someone said was the headstock :lol: but after a while you start to get used to and even like it...human nature :lol: stil like more the carvin headstocks

- In terms of sound the carvin I've recently played has a more darker sound compared to my JP6 . the JP has more mids and highs . so with same amp settings my JP sounded more "heavier" , chunky-er whatever you want to call it, more suitable for palm muting and solo-ing ...I guess

- the JP6 tones for me are suitable for all kind of music, DT is after all a progressive metal = eclectic sounds band. so I can easily dial in Metallica, Pantera etc sounds...though I find my self learning 80 % of my time riff/solos from DT :))
    - will the Carvin have a similar tone to a JP!?...hmmm

- I am a home player (hobby-ist :shred:) so even I could pay somehow :)) the US price for a new JP7 I will love to pay 1/2 for a custom Carvin :))
    - comparing the Sterling JP100D with dimarzio CL/LF pickups ,Sterling JP 70 with my JP 6 - D sonic/ Custom JP neck pick up...well it is very hard to describe but JP sounds way better - dynamics, harmonics and all that stuff and that was my concern - will the Carvin sound as a premium guitar (music man, suhr etc) or an average -mid level like Sterling, Ibanez premium, PRS SE etc :idea:

PS: at Svava: I alredy have 2 balls :))) (JP6 and Luke)...or 4 if you count the sterlings too :)))

17. stevexc

stevexc Contributor

Chances are they could option 50 that - basically you just have to call them up and ask, it just might invalidate the 10-day money back guarantee thing.

18. Paolo Gilberto

Paolo Gilberto Member

well...wasn't plan as soon at all , but I've found a good deal and bought a JP7 :))
    can't wait to be shipped to me :D

19. littledoc

littledoc Go meat!

Both fine guitars, but the lower price of the Carvin combined with the ability to customize it to your liking makes Carvin an easy win, provided you don't mind waiting a couple of months for the guitar to be built.

20. decreebass

decreebass ...Mulva?

I have a JP13 and a Majesty on the way; I also have several Carvins. My vote would be for the JP if you're okay with the options offered and the Carvin if you want a little more control over the build (and don't mind waiting a couple months for a potentially flawed build).

I'm a little biased against Carvin nowadays because they've messed up ALL of my builds in somewhat minor ways and have never once reached out to offer even a slight refund or discount on my next build or anything despite complaints and emails and calls... but I'll digress. They're still fantastic instruments. The build quality is top-notch.

Carvin necks are a bit fatter than my JP13's so that may be an issue for you.

Bottom line, my JP13 7 is my go-to guitar, even though it's not my newest. The Majesty 7 will likely become my go-to when it gets here, placing even my favorite Carvin (out of 4) in 3rd place.