Carbon fiber electrics - Your opinons?

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by AeonSolus, Nov 25, 2009.

1. AeonSolus

AeonSolus DO CEO / RHLC ©

I'm doing some research on them, for a friend of mine :cool:... oh screw it! i can't resist to spill the beans :scream: my friend is currently thinking on doing custom builds entirely from carbon fiber as a standard option of his catalog :hbang:, and to have less trial and error i come to you guys for some opinions and feedback :)

Carbon fiber is a very strong and durable material for instrument, but it tends to sound very sterile and bodyless from what i've researched, would this be fixed with a wood tone block? or a core with more carbon layers on the inside of the guitar?

Would you guys like a composite fretboard aswell? or a wooden fretboard like on normal guitars?

if this goes as planned, say bye bye to Parker :lol:

I mean it. :squint:

PD: Francis is currently preparing of doing it, but it's not an option as of yet, those who have contacted him for quotes wait until i post here more info about the project. :yesway: But don't worry, all i can say that 2010 will be a very busy year. :agreed:

Galzai likes this.
  2. troyguitar

troyguitar SS.org Regular

I would be interested to try something like an electric made entirely from carbon fiber with a chambered body. On the other hand, I wouldn't want to buy one without trying it first so that's a tough proposition...

3. Dusty201087

Dusty201087 Kenyon class of 2014

I would definitely say if your friend is planning on doing custom builds, have composite fretboards as an option. And I think finding pickups that really compliment the carbon fiber sound would really define the tone you're going to get from them, so maybe a tone block made from wood but overall I wouldn't make it a huge block.

What types of necks is he planning on doing? Plain wooden, parker style or Vigier style?

4. soliloquy

soliloquy SS.org Regular

well, if its an electric, it would/should work just fine. take danoelectro guitars for example, they are made from vinyl, metal, plastic, wood, everything you can think off. or take the tokai talbot. its made entirely of aluminum. throwing in some sort of electric pickups would help a lot.

it may sound sterile if played unplugged. but it is possible. like acrylic. we have seen that heavy plastic being used for guitars for quiet some time now, and it works just fine.

with acoustics, the only possible way i can think of is if you shove a peizo under the bridge. preferabbly an LR BAGGS peizo under the saddle. it may not be good for rhythm players who tap on the body, but would work for other people.

i have seen carbon fiber guitars being sold in flea-markets for chicken feed(very lil cash at about 25 dollars a piece). fully functional too. they were only acoustics though. didn't bother playing em though. good thing with them is that they would be very sturdy, water proof, humidity proof and you have nothing to maintain at all.

another option could be graphite if you're thinking of using something unconventional. (i dont know why this bold/underline thing started...and it wont turn off either...:S). a company called Rainsong makes their guitar almost out of graphite, and they sound great!

5. AeonSolus

^ your word is full of wisdoming win :agreed:

it's going to be from top to bottom made from carbon fiber, with some graphite rods to reinforce the neck in case some customer wants to play it with bass strings tuned on Standard E :lol:

By the way, the video that inspired him was this one:

so i think the builds would be pretty much identical in procedure.

6. CooleyJr

CooleyJr Banned

The only pickup I can think that would be completely transparent and will ONLY use the sustain from the carbon fiber material, would be a Q-Tuner. Since it's a completely transparent pickup, the person playing, the amp/processor/effects that he/she is using would be the tone, and not really the guitar. I'd say it would be the purest sounding guitar there could be! But that's just speculation of course.

7. Dusty201087

Clearly the Cello had no problem with tone :eek: I'd say just let the customer chose the pups and he's golden.

Do you or your friend think that an OFR or Kahler bridge system would be a possibility?

BTW I really liked that vid, thanks man. Those Cello's are over 7k though :ugh:... Which reminds me, I need to get a cello :lol:

8. jymellis

jymellis Talk To DeWalt

i have one word. steinberger . google that shit! look for some youtube steinberger guitar vids .

9. vampiregenocide

vampiregenocide SS.org Regular

I'd love a carbon fibre guitar :(

10. MFB

MFB Banned

I'm pretty sure Matt (HighGain510) has/had (most likely had at this point :lol:) a custom Thorn that was entirely CF if I remember right. It may have been just a CF top but still he'd probably be able to give some input on the tone and junk.

11. AeonSolus

You welcome :) i will ask him about if a tremolo bridge would be possible in this kind of build, by the way, i highly doubt that these builds would differ too much from his current prices, if you want to know, search my "Blackmachine Inspired" Thread :)

EDIT: About the trem bridge, Francis said yes. :yesway:

Last edited: Nov 26, 2009
  12. Dusty201087

Wow. When he's ready to start doing this let me know. Seriously :metal:

13. JJ Rodriguez

JJ Rodriguez Contributor

You don't give any prices in that other thread, you just say that you could get 2 of his customs for the price of a C7. That sounds a little too good to be true unless a C7 is retardedly expensive in your country. I don't believe carbon fibre itself is cheap, let alone the process for doing anything with it.

Generally, if it sounds too good to be true, it usually is.

14. Dan

Dan Senior Member

An RGA style bodies 7 string with a reversed headstock would be the most baddass thing EVER.

Composite neck with a mahogony tone block inside the body would be grand, however i think working with someone who creates pickups (e.g. bareknuckle) may prove worthwhile if creating an all carbon fiber guitar to create the best tone possible.

Another thing would be floyd rose , it needs a floyd!!!

but thats just :2c:

15. stuz719

stuz719 Stoic. With a small "s".

16. jymellis

jymellis Talk To DeWalt

17. AeonSolus

And it is true, thing is that he, apart for building as a part time job, it's also his passion, he enjoys more seeing people satisfied with the work he's done for them than being wealthly and heartless, like most guitar tech and luthiers in this country :noplease:, that's why i got the hype of doing him these kind of favors, because the kind of people he is, is what we need in the business :).. And yeah, two customs for the price of a C7 bought in USA is crazy, but i'll let you be the judge when i finally post my NGD in january-febuary :agreed: :yesway: and about the carbon one, it sure would be more expensive than that obviously, but won't be expensive because of the simple fact that it is carbon and the novelty and weight the name itself drags, but because it is more expensive to build because we don't have official carbon suppliers in our country.

the prototype will be made out from a mold out of the Interceptor 725 he has...so..Yeeeaahh :scream:

18. GodBlessTexas

GodBlessTexas Ibanez Junky

Actually, CF is very strong/durable in a rigid laminated or molded form, especially in curved areas, but does not deal well with impact damage. Laminate it in a resin as a sheet or cone, and it will be stiff, but hit it with a hammer and it will shatter and break. Just take a look at any F1 car after a crash. Aramad (Kevlar) will be much more resistant to impact damage, but isn't as strong. If CF is wrapped around a core, like foam, nomex honeycomb, or in this case wood, then that damage is reduced. You could also try alternating layers of CF/Kevlar. CF isn't bodyless in my experience. It can actually be pretty bright with a certain midrange accentuation. Like maple, but without the shrillness. But the best way to found out what "sounds best" is really experimentation, especially if you're going to be doing something different than what the other CF guitar manufacturers have done.

I like the Parker composite boards, but I can't stand the body shapes.

19. HighGain510

HighGain510 Contributor

Nah, the Thorn Carbon Fiber belongs to my buddy, he let me borrow it for 3 weeks though! :metal: That guitar was wood for the neck, fretboard and body but the body was hollowed out and the carved ("shaped" I guess is a better term since it's not carved in the traditional sense) carbon fiber top was affixed to the top of the body and the headcap was overlaid with CF as well for stiffness. That guitar sounds amazing and I'd attribute that to the fact that there is way more wood and less CF than a parker or similar guitar. :2c:

FWIW, there is already a company putting out budget-range totally CF guitars and that is Composite Acoustics, looks like they beat your friend to the punch! :lol:

The Blade - Electric Guitars - Products

Also, XOX makes their guitars with CF but I'm not sure if they use a wood core or not? :scratch:

http://www.xoxaudiotools.com/

IMO the tone of a guitar made out of ONLY CF for an electric is not going to be the greatest, and I'm definitely not a "traditionalist" by any means (my fanned fret Oni 7 is going to be a spruce-cored, carbon-fiber-covered guitar) but having owned/player a lot of CF guitars I'd have to say the more wood the better. :shrug:

20. AeonSolus

Thank you alot for the input, matt-o :wub:

Francis already decided that the guitar will have a core of any common kind of wood inside for tone and reinforcement purposes when having a tremolo in the situation. He's planing on using any of these: Spruce, Mahogany, Ash, soft maple...even pine (i've heard good things about pine, tonally. anyone vouch or dismiss my statement please :agreed:)

EDIT: the guys at composite acoustics have their electrics for like..$1199.00, depending on how hard the materials are to find or purchase, i think francis can make a CF build for less than that :agreed: