Caparison Namm 2019 - Upgraded Horus-M3, and new sponge finishes.

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by guitar4tw, Jan 20, 2019.

1. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

New, seems more of them around than anywhere else in the world, but nothing noteworthy. Still only a handful of dealers that get a ton of stock. I know where I can be hands-on with just about any of their models in 30 minutes from couch, so I think they're pretty accessible at least! Used, there's quite a lot, and they're very cheap.

I've just never picked one up and thought, "that's quality". There's always been a cheap feel to them. Nothing I can single out, just felt cheap. On one of the ones I bought new, the wiring went after a couple years. And then in that range are some cool Suhrs that are practically perfect, that feel like quality in your hands.

Not bad experiences, but always thought they should be priced about 20% lower than where they are. A Horus/Dellinger at $1800 would be hard to pass up over the competition.

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

That mirrors my feelings on them. :agreed:

3. narad

Yea, at some point this year I'll give the whole line-up a shot. I've never tried one with a hipshot before, and the hipshot ashbody dellingers are basically blackmachine B6 spec for < $2k. Still have to do something about the pickups though...

4. guitar4tw

guitar4tw SS.org Regular

There shouldn't be any production quality difference between the MRJ and the other models. They are all built by the same guys as far as I know.

But, I wonder if this "cheap feeling" you guys are mentioning could have something to do with the stock pickups? They seem to be very divisive. Personally, I don't think they're very good at all. I swapped out the stock pickups in my Dellinger 7 for a Crunchlab/Liquifire set after about one week with the guitar, as I found the stock ones to be quite fizzy and thin sounding.

I really don't get why they insist on using their own designed pickups in their guitars. Seems like most Caparison owners end up swapping them out anyway. All of their current artist signature guitars have pickups from other brands in them except for the Courtney Cox one. For example, the MJR comes stock with Dimarzio X2N and Tone Zone.

That said, the build quality and playability is incredible on both my Dellinger and Horus M-3. Without a doubt some of the best playing guitars I've ever had in my hands. And they are rock solid and stable as well, which is a plus for people who will use them for gigs.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
  5. guitar4tw

guitar4tw SS.org Regular

Here's their booth at Namm! Some other new guitars here, including the new 7-string Orbit V.

I really love the new burnt wood-looking finishes for the fixed bridge Horus and Dellinger models. And man, these new Horus sponge finishes look absolutely killer in real life images. The Tiger's Eye Horus will be mine at some point during 2019!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. narad

That lighting's really killing my desire to get tiger's eye (/spoiled mustard here). Hope it's lighting and just that.

7. Ordacleaphobia

Ordacleaphobia Shameless Contrarian

Yep. I've really been wanting a Caparison for the last several years, but they're priced just high enough that at the last minute I always get that returning thought of "well shit, I can just get that Prestige I was looking at instead for cheaper."

Something else that has me a bit wary now too is if you read through that "Guitars you really wanted but were disappointed by" thread, it feels like half the posters in there are Caparison guys. Wish they were a bit more accessible around here because I'd love to get my hands on one of these and give it a go to see for myself- that burnt blue is calling my name something fierce.

Mathemagician likes this.
  8. vilk

vilk Very Regular

Sponge finishes look like a home project to me. I don't dislike them per se, but if I was gonna dish out the cash for a Caparison I would probably want to choose a finish that doesn't look like someone did it at home for fun.

Solodini likes this.
  9. guitar4tw

guitar4tw SS.org Regular

A seriously well done "home project", in that case. :p

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I really love the sponge finishes on my Horus and Dellinger. It makes every guitar just a little more unique as well. For example, my Aque Blue Horus above has quite a bit more dark spots and ripples than some of the other ones I've seen pictures of, and I really like that about it.

AxeHappy likes this.
  10. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

They need to fire whoever is doing the sponge finishes now and re-hire the guy who did your Dellinger.

Dineley, Solodini, Nlelith and 2 others like this.
  11. jephjacques

jephjacques BUTTS LOL

I've owned two (sold one, still have the other) and I'd say they're like super-Prestiges. Definitely a notch above regular Ibanez, but I'm not sure they're in the same league as, say, a Suhr or a J Custom. And their in-house pickups ARE pretty lame. If I ever get around to tossing a set of BKPs in my Dellinger 7 I could it see it becoming one of my main guitars.

AxeHappy likes this.
  12. guitar4tw

guitar4tw SS.org Regular

I remember reading somewhere that Itaru Kanno does the sponge finishes, so if that's still the case they are both done by him.

Looking at them both, I think they represent their name quite well. The Dellinger finish is called Snowstorm, and it does look like a a blizzard with specks of snow and ice. And the Aqua Blue one, with those wavey patterns, does look quite a bit like small ripples in a body of water. :)

[​IMG]

AxeHappy likes this.
  13. OmegaSlayer

OmegaSlayer SS.org Regular

I can't help but cringe every time I see a non matching headstock on a guitar sold for over 1k

14. jaxadam

jaxadam SS.org Regular

:facepalm:

guitar4tw likes this.
  15. guitar4tw

guitar4tw SS.org Regular

Having a black headstock and colored body gives the guitars a more 80's vibe, which I think is what they are going for.

At any rate, a matching headstock with solid colors like this could be done on any guitar at any price range. As far as "luxury" specs go, it's completely artificial.

AxeHappy and Flappydoodle like this.
  16. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

You guys complaining about the look of the finishes. Check out the guy installing the frets on the Apple Horn 8!!! That guy needs some help! /sarcasm.

17. OmegaSlayer

OmegaSlayer SS.org Regular

It gives me a frankensteined vibe at best, rushed vibe at worse
    Than I don't think others are crazy for liking it for whatever reason
    The price point is not a problem of "luxury" is the point where I pull my hand back from buying a guitar that doesn't tick all my likings
    Some would have different price "bounds" that fits their pockets...1k is mine because that's how (not) deep my pockets are

18. guitar4tw

guitar4tw SS.org Regular

Here's a video I found from their booth:

Hoping for a more in-depth video in english to hit Youtube. Caparison released a nice livestream on instagram that went into detail on all their new guitars (@MaxOfMetal where they confirmed that Itaru has done all the sponge finishes from the very beginning), but sadly this was only available for 24 hours and has not been released on their youtube-channel yet. Would love to see more high-quality footage of these new finishes.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
    sezna likes this.
  19. guitar4tw

guitar4tw SS.org Regular

Frankensteined or rushed?

[​IMG]

This finish, with the white binding and textured lacquer that follows it to the edge, takes way more finesse to do than simply taping off the neck and applying the same paint and lacquer over the headstock that was done on the body.

:shrug:

20. gunshow86de

gunshow86de Beef Jerky Time

I've always loved the black textured headstocks, especially with the eye of Horus. I mean, I wouldn't call a Les Paul Custom headstock rushed. :shrug:

guitar4tw likes this.