Cant pull the trigger on a Caparison

neurosis

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I've said it in other threads. They are great guitars. I wouldn't pay for them new but that is not necessarily because of the price and more about my commitment to never pay more than 2k on an instrument out of principle. The used market has gone up in price but early this year you could still find horuses listed for under 1.8k. The model OP is thinking of is top of line and quite frankly has more workmanship than my Dellinger. I would say Caparison is like Jackson USA in features and like J. Customs in fit and finish. Jut my humble opinion.

So, they are great guitars but why would you pay 3K when you can wait to find one for around 1k less? Then again, if you really want a specific model just find a shop that has a good return policy and try it. Worst that can happen is it’s not for you and you send it back. But you got to test a new killer instrument.

They are above of E-II. To be fair I only have one E-II and while it plays amazing and sounds crushing the guitar has multiple finishing flaws. And recently the clear around a pot cracked into a bubble just from tightening the pot a little as it was loose so yeah... I don't have the faith in them as I have in my ESP Standards. But it was a great deal used so I don't care.

Try to buy what you want but be smart about how you spend the money. And have a chance to return or a good idea of how to sell it on.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
If you want Japan and something different, check out Vola. Really cool stuff, and typically not Caparison money.

Chondro Guitars blew off their Vola stock because no one wanted to spend that much in an "unknown" brand and sit on the store for months. They went for insane prices (like 40% discounts) and they all looked amazing.

pahulkster

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Debated for a week or two but I ordered a used Horus. Really good deal for what seems like a new guitar, and exactly what I wanted. I've been really wanting another maple board superstrat. Still have my first guitar that's an Ibanez with a maple board, but somehow everything in the thirty years since that has been something else. The Horus is also pretty different from anything else in my collection so it should fit nicely.

Steinmetzify

CHUG & SLUDGE
Reaction score
I just picked up an Orbit FX, and really it just confirmed to me that I LOVE Caparison . I don't know if I can even say objectively what the quality is/compared to the usual suspects/competition (the most common fault on Caparison) since it just almost seems made for me, especially the neck. I like thicker necks though which seems to not be the norm for most "shred" kinda players.

I mean my fingers are sore from playing so much today, I just can't put the thing down. Though I also just need to accept Vs are made for me, that more natural vertical positioning of Vs (even more so than traditional classical sitting) is just perfect for me, like how Oli Herbert described why he went with RRs.

Glad to see you snagged one man! You were pretty vocal when I got mine lol

Agreeing with you on the ‘made for me’ thing. Dunno about all Caps, but damn if they’re all like mine they’re doing shit correct.

jco5055

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Glad to see you snagged one man! You were pretty vocal when I got mine lol

Agreeing with you on the ‘made for me’ thing. Dunno about all Caps, but damn if they’re all like mine they’re doing shit correct.

yeah I fully acknowledge I may be the odd man out in general, since I don't just want the thinnest neck possible, so I have seen a lot of people say they didn't like the neck on caparisons they've tried.

BUT if you do like the neck (and I know you do @Steinmetzify ), doesn't it seem like there's just some unexplainable "mojo"/"it"/playability that Caparison has that is just like magic? Frankly the $$$ argument is kinda like Strandberg at this point, regardless of perceived quality for the price if you like the features you don't really have a choice but to buy...and that's me with Caparison haha.

Steinmetzify

CHUG & SLUDGE
Reaction score
yeah I fully acknowledge I may be the odd man out in general, since I don't just want the thinnest neck possible, so I have seen a lot of people say they didn't like the neck on caparisons they've tried.

BUT if you do like the neck (and I know you do @Steinmetzify ), doesn't it seem like there's just some unexplainable "mojo"/"it"/playability that Caparison has that is just like magic? Frankly the $$$ argument is kinda like Strandberg at this point, regardless of perceived quality for the price if you like the features you don't really have a choice but to buy...and that's me with Caparison haha.

Major YES on the mojo thing. Seems like people either don’t like them at all or it’s the best guitar they’ve ever played. Got a good friend, ESP guy to the core…he was stoked to try mine just to see, wasn’t expecting to like it as much as he did. Told me it was the best guitar he’d ever played.

Usually when we jam we’ll grab a bunch of different guitars and he’s got some really good ones. We played that night just switching back and forth on the Cap for almost 9 hours and it never even occurred to us to grab any other guitar lol

pahulkster

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Got my Horus. Played for about an hour after unboxing. Very nice guitar but has a few issues I'll have to deal with. Sharp frets and you can really feel the wood difference in the neck lamination. Maybe acclimating will help the neck but it didn't travel very far or long. Definitely needs a fret dress which is ridiculous for a guitar that is $3200 new.

Steinmetzify

CHUG & SLUDGE
Reaction score
Got my Horus. Played for about an hour after unboxing. Very nice guitar but has a few issues I'll have to deal with. Sharp frets and you can really feel the wood difference in the neck lamination. Maybe acclimating will help the neck but it didn't travel very far or long. Definitely needs a fret dress which is ridiculous for a guitar that is $3200 new.

Dude that sucks; mine was the most perfect guitar I’d ever played right out of the box, I never had to adjust anything at all and the frets were perfect.

Agreed that the fret dress for a guitar over $3k is ridiculous. Send it back.

pahulkster

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Bought it used for a good deal so no go on a return but it's fine. I just expected basically perfect frets on that level of instrument. A new guitar for the full price would have definitely gone back. It is really nice overall though. Got the amethyst M3 with a maple board. Might do a NGD but I have no idea how you guys take such nice pictures with a phone.

fantom

Misses his 6 strings
Reaction score
I don't get it, are the people complaining about Caparison pricing the same people willing to buy Skervesens or Mayones stuff?

If I had to buy my guitars again, I'd wouldn't hesitate to buy my TAT again at full price.

Steinmetzify

CHUG & SLUDGE
Reaction score
Bought it used for a good deal so no go on a return but it's fine. I just expected basically perfect frets on that level of instrument. A new guitar for the full price would have definitely gone back. It is really nice overall though. Got the amethyst M3 with a maple board. Might do a NGD but I have no idea how you guys take such nice pictures with a phone.

I love looking at Caps so chuck up a NGD when you get a chance. Don’t have to be a pro photographer.