Can't decide on a rig, so tell me what to get.

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Drache713, Jul 10, 2019.

1. ATRguitar91

ATRguitar91 SS.org Regular

I've got two of these kinds of setups and I don't see myself ever going back. One with a rack power amp into a couple of 212s and the other with a Quilter MicroBlock and 112.

I have a Theta in one chain and it's a great sounding pedal. Probably my second favorite preamp pedal next to the Tight Metal, but I've yet to try a Ceres (which also has a clean channel). The Theta isn't a grindy type of 6505 sound like I love, however the active EQ and mid sweep allows you to dial in a lot of tones. It can still get really gnarly.

One quirk the Theta has, if you plan to use the preamp section as a clean channel, it won't be able to function as a built in boost for the gain channels. I use an external boost with mine, but it's something to consider.

jclogston likes this.
  2. jclogston

jclogston SS.org Regular

Thanks for the info, it is really helpful. If you don't mind me asking, can the theta preamp be turned off or does one channel always on? I don't think i would need a boost for the theta based on how much gain it has (according to every post i have read about it).
    I would imagine it can cover thrash, 80's hair metal?

3. ATRguitar91

It can be completely turned off. It essentially functions as a three channel preamp, but the switching could be a bit tricky if you were gonna run it that way.

Your mileage may vary, I'm one of those people who uses a boost for everything. I personally think the Theta needs a boost to be tight enough for modern metal tones, but I've yet to encounter a preamp pedal that doesn't require to get the sound I want. I'm not a hair metal guy, it'll do definitely do thrash tones and I would assume hair metal as well. Just set the mid sweep in the right place.

jclogston likes this.
  4. jclogston

jclogston SS.org Regular

Thanks!
    Going to try one out this weekend. I doubt it can replace my EVH 50watt though....

5. ATRguitar91

Judging a solid state preamp against an EVH, yea it's probably not gonna fully replace it. You're making some sacrifice in tone for the ease of use, modularity, portability, and size, but that tradeoff more than pays off to me. I can't remember the last time I fired up my 6505.

6. jclogston

jclogston SS.org Regular

I have the EVH and it sounds great but I don't play out, only at home and at bedroom levels (plus i have a 9-month old). It's almost a waste in my case so I was looking to scale my setup down. Theta --> AMT Tube Cake and my 1x12" Celestion Lynchback.

7. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive CNC hack

I'll throw my vote in on a mark v. They aren't as intuitive to dial in as most amps but once you learn the basics it isn't hard.

Not sure how much the 90w combos cost these days but you might consider one of those. Not sure how well the open back cab really does for metal though.

8. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

I agree with above, I would say 5150 III 50W or MT-15 and a 212 cab.