Can't decide between these... 80's inspired

mastapimp

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
So I'm buying a new guitar in the next few days and I'm really stuck between two models: RG550 (roadflare red) and RG565 (orange).

I've had a 1992 purple RG550 before, and it was an excellent guitar. From what I know of the Genesis models, they're comparable except the neck is different a little (better?). Originally I was deadset on the RG550... then I saw the RG565.

Couple thoughts from me. I never use a middle pickup, but having the option in case I do is nice. RG550 has a fullsize humbucker vs the stacked one in the 565. I've never (I know) used a stacked humbucker before. My expectation is it will be only slightly less bodied in sound.

My guitars now are the Les Paul, Schecter SLS C-7 Elite FR, Kiesel Aries 7 w/ floyd. The LP is HH obviously, Schecter is HH (7), and Kiesel is HS (7). I'm very heavily leaning towards the RG565 because it looks so badass. But what are your opinions?

I know I'm asking for comparisons on two guitars that are almost identical. Thread is useless without pics

Edit: Oh... also for some reason the reverse headstock is really hitting me hard

View attachment 108245

View attachment 108246
You sure that's a stacked pickup? Looks like a hot rails style where the coils are still side by side in a smaller package.

jl-austin

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
If you are on the fence, I have to say RG565 with no doubts. The 565 is no longer in production and will be harder to obtain as time goes by. The RG550 are easier to get and as far as I know they are going to continue production through 2022, and hopefully longer, I want a DY also. :)

Protestheriphery

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
565 is the move. It's very clean/minimal looking, sans pickguard with H-S config. Its also flashy cuz...orange. It also mimics a middle pu sound, amongst all the other positions it does. So odds are it's not exactly limited with only two pu's.

CapinCripes

Trem Snob
Reaction score
550s are my preference but it's mostly because I'm a sucker for superstrats with pickguards. After all they are super... Strats. Thought about getting another and making it hss like a 560.

kerryymm

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
My wife has an excellent thing for when I can’t make a decision between two options:

Flip a coin - if your immediate response is “Oh no” then go for the other one. It definitely works!

My preference would be the 565, btw :)

død

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
565 all day, son. Then replace the neck pickup with a real single coil and drown in pussy.

NoodleFace

Delicious Noodles
Reaction score
Ahhh went to pull the trigger and all the 565s went OOS. But I've got my money burning in my pocket nooooow

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
> Claims to have "the ultimate Les Paul
> Natural finish Les Paul custom
> Maple fingerboard
> Not even black block inlays to go with maple
> Feelsbadman.jpg