Canadian Producers & Sound Engineers - I Need Your Advice & Opinion

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by ZeroSignal, Aug 14, 2014.

1. ZeroSignal

ZeroSignal Appreciates Kwolity Contributor

I'm seriously considering emigrating from Ireland and Canada is currently top of the list for a variety of reasons. However, I know very little about how well the sound engineering and audio production business over there is doing and that is the type of work I'm trying to get into.

What are your experiences working in Canada as sound engineers/producers live and in the studio?
    Is there much work to be had within the industry or is it in decline? Is it a good place to do business?

I guess I'll edit with any other questions I can think of. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

2. Tree

Tree Bald Bear

I'm not in Canada but, making a living as an audio engineer ANYWHERE nowadays is very unlikely unless you have some sort of supplemental income. The market is SUPER saturated as nearly every band has an "engineer" or two. Anyone with an interface, axe fx, some toontrack or slate stuff can record a band. The end result probably won't be pretty, and there are the rare few that would still pay to go to someone that actually knows what they're doing and uses legitimate gear, but this is all food for thought.

Are you already an established engineer/mixer or whatever it is you specialize in? Do you have something/someone to fall back on? Are you planning on doing this on the side while working another job?

3. AdamMaz

AdamMaz SS.org Regular

I'm aware of a couple of people I knew having studied in it, but professionally? I never got the impression any of them were working and getting paid for it afterwards...