Canadian Politics

zappatton2

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Sadly, I think Legault is gonna sweep this with his full populist schtick. My hope it that if he wins, it will be despite of, rather than because of, his anti-immigrant policies and vitriol. We don't need more political leaders casting themselves as the representatives of the "true citizens", while casting anyone they don't like as the dreaded "other", to be targeted and demonized.

thebeesknees22

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I didn't even bother since I plan on moving next year. *next project ending pending.

This province is whatever to me at this point. I care not what they do.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
I'd like to have that attitude, but since starting to work in a Montreal-based company, I feel more invested in what happens in Quebec than I did before.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
I'm exactly as disappointed as I expected to be. I guess that's not news. Came across some reddit posts making fun of how the only areas that voted differently seem to be the majority anglophone regions. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Vostre Roy

Disciple of Djod
Reaction score
I can't say that I understand the feeling given that being a french speaking straight white male brings me as far as possible from being a minority in Quebec lol

What does fuel my cynicism towards this election, and basically towards the federal one that will come sooner or later, is very well shown in this graph:

Quebec_Elections_2022.jpg

With 41% of the popular vote, the CAQ holds 72% of the possible seats at the parliament. Then you look at the next best three, who virtually have 1% of difference between each others, but the one out of those three that has won the least percentage (PLQ, 16.8% of the seats) of vote have twice as much seats than the one that has won more in percentage (QS, with 8.8% of the seats). Then you have the PQ who did an historic low of 3 seats (2.4%) with a popular vote that was a little better than the PLQ. Even the PCQ, whom I'm not a fan of personally but still represent 13% of the popular vote, end up with absolutely no one to represent them at the parliament.

Every election for the past what, 15 years or so, talks about "Proportional Representation" (it was even a promise from the CAQ before they got elected last time), but when they get into the position to actually do something about it, then the actual system becomes fine since it allowed them to win.

This system is broken. But I can't recall being so obvious since I've been old enough to vote.

thebeesknees22

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
As a Bostonian, a thread about Canadian politics always makes me think of this:

Hope it provides a few laughs at least!
lol
Before I moved to Canada I always thought not much happened up here in terms of politics, but it's actually quite...iinnnnteresting. haha

There's the same far right group brewing up here that's down south, and it's suuuper weird to watch. They may actually take power in the next round or two, because Liberals can't seem to be able to do anything about the cost of living. I think if they can't figure it out they'll have a hard time staying in power since at the end of the day most people just want to live their lives and be able to afford to live comfy.

In terms of cost of living and that side of politics, I feel like Canada is about 5-7 years ahead of the US in terms of wiping out the middle class. It's ...just....so....expensive.. here. I don't know how people with normal jobs get by tbh. There's no way the average person can be saving for retirement or to be able to afford a downpayment on property at this point with as much as things are.

I have a good job, but I myself am having to essentially live the monk life and live as cheap as possible (not counting music gear stuff), and I still can't get ahead to be able to afford a house at this point. It's just so completely F'd that it's hard to describe to someone unless they're experiencing it as well.

...the whole situation is super frustrating, and there's not much anyone seems to be able to do about it.

So my take on Canadian politics at the moment is..... I need an escape plan lol. It's just a bit tricky with my industry and jobs being tied to tax breaks.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
I don't know how people with normal jobs get by tbh. There's no way the average person can be saving for retirement or to be able to afford a downpayment on property at this point with as much as things are.
The simple answer is that they don't. They rent indefinitely, and live paycheck to paycheck.

Something that gets me is that there's this weird gap in the middle - of people who should feel well off, but still don't. Like if you're sitting at that level where you're "technically ok" but just getting by - as in you've balanced everything to 0 - you can't save, but you won't stave - you'd think that adding another 10-20k would make you pretty comfortable, right? But it doesn't. The gaps in the costs of those kinds of lifestyle differences are wider than the gaps in pay.

Something like if you wanted to upgrade your apartment. You can't really do it, because you're in a race with the rent/value - if you move, you lose your current low rent and get stuck with a lower-value-for-your-dollar living situation. So the real barrier to where it becomes a meaningful value again is buying - but that's a whole can of worms in itself. So even you get a sizeable raise and think "yeh, I should really upgrade my digs", your options are to pay out the nose or pay out the nose for another reason or just stay where you are.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Something like if you wanted to upgrade your apartment. You can't really do it, because you're in a race with the rent/value - if you move, you lose your current low rent and get stuck with a lower-value-for-your-dollar living situation. So the real barrier to where it becomes a meaningful value again is buying - but that's a whole can of worms in itself. So even you get a sizeable raise and think "yeh, I should really upgrade my digs", your options are to pay out the nose or pay out the nose for another reason or just stay where you are.
This is actually a pretty good point on more of a global level - i's especially acute now with the swings in real estate/rent values we've seen in the last two years thanks to the pandemic, but if you locked in a pretty good rent in the depths of the pandemic, even getting pretty hefty rent increases in the next couple years may still make it cheaper to stay where you are, and the "cost" of "upgrading" to a nicer place is going to be pretty prohibitive, so a "lifestyle-changing" amount of money isn't 10-15%, it's more like 30-50%.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
Hell, I've something like doubled my income since the rona started, and I still stay in my little shitty apartment, 'cause I've been here long enough that I pay under $800/mo for it. The same place, if I moved out and back in, would double in price immediately.

thebeesknees22

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hell, I've something like doubled my income since the rona started, and I still stay in my little shitty apartment, 'cause I've been here long enough that I pay under $800/mo for it. The same place, if I moved out and back in, would double in price immediately.
dang! $800 mo!

You'd totally be paying double at least if not more if you moved now depending on the area haha

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
Aaaaaaaand it's 2 bedroom, open concept, big bathroom, laundry hookups and everything in the unit, etc. I've got friends across the river who pay $2k+/mo for half of this space and nowhere near the convenience or privacy. The trade-off being that it's kinda run down, and there's no reason to believe the owners will update it any time soon if there's no urgency to it.

zappatton2

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I bought a house in '06, currently looking to move since we've been single income for over a decade and I'd like to downgrade (plus, I'd rather live in a condo situation for maintenance, as my house is falling apart, I can't afford to fix it up, and I have zero desire to go on Youtube trying to learn handyman tricks). I figure I'll get enough to pay off the remaining mortgage and put down a decent deposit on a new one.

That said, kinda regret ever buying. I had a great apartment in the heart of the city, two floors, two balconies, two bedrooms, roughly $1000 a month in '05, and if I had stayed, rent control could have kept it reasonable. Buying a house was something I always felt like I had to do, but I just can't maintain a house, didn't really think it through.

All to say, I'm jumping back into the market, though maybe at the worst time considering the volatility of everything right now.

thebeesknees22

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I bought a house in '06, currently looking to move since we've been single income for over a decade and I'd like to downgrade (plus, I'd rather live in a condo situation for maintenance, as my house is falling apart, I can't afford to fix it up, and I have zero desire to go on Youtube trying to learn handyman tricks). I figure I'll get enough to pay off the remaining mortgage and put down a decent deposit on a new one.

That said, kinda regret ever buying. I had a great apartment in the heart of the city, two floors, two balconies, two bedrooms, roughly $1000 a month in '05, and if I had stayed, rent control could have kept it reasonable. Buying a house was something I always felt like I had to do, but I just can't maintain a house, didn't really think it through.

All to say, I'm jumping back into the market, though maybe at the worst time considering the volatility of everything right now.
I feel like for a "safe" er-er... retirement a person almost has to have a house a piece of property bought and paid for.

Renting on a fixed retirement income seems risky to me after reading so many stories of older people getting their rent jacked up and them getting kicked out in recent years. Like where am I gonna go if I'm 80 years old and living off what little I saved up, and a paltry government pension? I don't want to be in a nursing home until I'm either bed ridden or my mind is gone lol

the other reason I want to own a house is just so I can go full blast with vocals, but if it weren't for that I'd just do an apartment so I wouldn't have to do yard work.

Last edited:

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
Buying a house was something I always felt like I had to do
It's a goal for me, but I think it's gatta be the right place for the right reasons. I've got a couple of those automated home search thingies set up by realestate guys sending me listings all the time, but most of it's not even worth asking about 'cause it won't suit the reasons I want a house, which leads me to....

the other reason I want to own a house is just so I can go full blast with vocals
If I can't play drums in it sometimes, I don't want to own it. Which narrows down the options a whole lot, I know, but but I'm not going to make THAT big of an investment without being able to enjoy it to its fullest.

jaxadam

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I can't afford to fix it up, and I have zero desire to go on Youtube trying to learn handyman tricks.

It's almost not even worth it to pay someone to fix something these days, because it seems most contractors don't give a shit. I'd say half of the time we've done projects or fixes we have to pay another contractor to come fix the botched job. No one cares about your house more than you do. I have found some great youtube channels for a lot of DIY stuff, and it's actually not only pretty rewarding, but can be fun and enlightening as well. I do know this though, people are shocked when they find out I'm not a very good electrician.

thebeesknees22

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
welp the average rent in Canada just crossed the $2,000 mo mark. 😵‍💫 .

ouch.

I don't know how a person with an average job isn't drowning right now in bills, and the cost of living.