Canadian Politics

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by JSanta, Oct 22, 2019.

1. nightflameauto

nightflameauto SS.org Regular

I'm in South Dakota, in the largest city in the state, in what's considered the "middle-poor" part of town. And our houses in the area are pretty small. If not for the converted garage we use as a bedroom, we'd be bursting out of our current home.

The part of town where my dad lived before moving to Minnesota on the other hand, is the "nice" part of town and finding a home there for under 800k is not gonna happen no matter how small it is. No way, no how.

soliloquy likes this.
  2. thebeesknees22

thebeesknees22 SS.org Regular

wow @soliloquy - High roller! That's way out of my price range to do on my own with my single income.

soliloquy likes this.
  3. soliloquy

soliloquy SS.org Regular

it just sounds more impressive than it actually is.
    i used about 20 years of my savings into part of the down payment. My partner put in the remaining half, for a total of $110k down payment.
    and because equity and prices are rising so fast, it gave us the opportunity to move into a bigger property.

i also fully acknowledge that i was/am very privelaged to be able to save for such a long period of time, while putting myself through school, and working constantly. I'm not saying that EVERYONE can do it. Just my life circumstances gave me the opportunity to do so. on a single income, i certainly wont be able to pull this off.

(i'm not saying any of this to make others feel worse about themselves, or make me feel better about myself. just we, as humans, are so different, and limited by circumstances. you may have things in your life i wish i had, etc).

4. thebeesknees22

ahhhh you had the old man savings before things skyrocketed. lol Lucky!

I just managed to save up enough just a tad after things went crazy. It was within reach then BOOM! The universe was like PSYCH SUCKA!! lol

5. BlackMastodon

BlackMastodon \m/ (゚Д゚) \m/ Contributor

There are loopholes to get tenants evicted, but they still probably take a long time and can be fraught. But basically I'd have to move into the rental myself or have an immediate family member move in in order to get them kicked out, tlans that's still with 60 days notice.

Maybe the government/banks should provide some relief to the land owner of the tenant can prove they lost their source of income and are actively searching for another. Maybe that way people don't get kicked out of their homes because landlords are forced to pay the mortgage and taxes on a home out of their own pocket while someone else is living there. And maybe that could even alleviate some of the homeless population. Hmmmm.

It's crazy as hell to think that my rent in 2016 was $700+/month for a 3 bedroom apartment in a duplex (which was still fairly low) and average rent for a 3 bedroom now is closer to $2000. I don't even want to know what rent is like in Toronto or Vancouver.

And as someone who was in the Catholic school system all throughout elementary and high school, I can confidently say: defund the Catholic school system entirely. Make that shit privately funded if they want it. The amount of other shit I could've been learning instead of taking up a whole class each year on religion is fucking astounding. Religion classes were the biggest waste of time, aside from World Religion in grade 11 where we actually learned about Judaism, Islam, Hinduism, and a few others. And you'd be lucky to have a teacher that could teach sex ed. competently. We had teachers that would only talk about abstinence and then nothing else, and then we'd have girls getting pregnant and having kids before they even graduated, or getting knocked up within 18 months of graduation. Make proper, logical (read: secular) sex ed. mandatory in all schools.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2021
    zappatton2 and soliloquy like this.
  6. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal

Yeah, at this point I've pretty much accepted that I'll never be able to afford to buy a house unless something unexpected happens in my life that dramatically increases my earnings, which I'm obviously not banking on. I wasted half of my twenties in a job that was supposed to become a career, but paid like shit and I ended up hating, but couldn't leave because I had no other marketable skills. After nearly dying because of the stress it caused, I went back to school, and I am working in my vocation now, but the market has gone so ballistic in the last 5 years, I've pretty much missed my window of opportunity. Honestly, all that factored into my decision to buy a brand new car just recently, because a) I'll never have the expense of a mortgage, and b) it's big enough that I can fold down the seats, set up a small mattress and sleep in it.

I'm only kind of kidding about that second part.

budda likes this.
  7. soliloquy

soliloquy SS.org Regular

kind of?
    my personal circumstances where that I was working part/full time since i was 12. I worked all through out school and university. I tried, and succeeded to NOT get any student loans during university. Since I was living with my parents, i didn't pay rent, and my expenses were rather limited. I moved out of my parents house at the age of 30. that time with my parents, i just saved like crazy.

the prices for homes in the Greater Toronto Area skyrocketed around 2016 or so, but they had been on a steady incline since 2008. but 2016 was the worst in terms of prices. In 2018 they SORT of cooled down a bit (when we got the house), then picked up again. 2020 was a SORT of cooldown, then summer onwards its been a spike.

March of 2021 was another major spike where prices were skyrocketing and people were doing bidding wars on properties. That isn't the case now in June 2021.

mind you, this is all relevant to Greater Toronto Area (maybe even Vancouver). Rest of Canada is a different story.

8. jaxadam

jaxadam SS.org Regular

You know what they say... You gotta spend it to make room for more to come in!

thebeesknees22 likes this.
  9. soliloquy

soliloquy SS.org Regular

I dont fully trust them, but i have come across loads of blogs/vlogs/youtube tutorials etc about people living in their vans for weeks/months/years on end. Lots of people are also buying tesla for that very reason.

lots of sacrifices to be made, but the gains are also pretty superior too. I came across a nomadic sailor years ago saying that he doesn't belong to any city/land/country. when he gets bored, he picks up his shit and moves to another part of the world. it gives him endless freedom and tireless opportunities to do whatever he wants.

sure, tradeoff is there is no stability. but if that is where happiness lies, then who cares? more power to you!

EDIT: my expenses while living at home were my tuition, my gym, my phone bills, gas. since i wasn't paying rent, savings added up fast.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2021
  10. thebeesknees22

I had 2 landlords do that to me in Vancouver just to get me out so they could charge someone else more.

the 2nd landlord gave me 3 months notice late and I was right at my 1 yr. She bumped up my rent and said i had 3 months to find a new place. Then a couple of months later she said the owner "changed his mind", and then she tried to up my rent AGAIN after the 3 months. I promptly told her that wasn't legal and sent her a bunch of documents supporting it and she backed off. ......super shady that one. I resent that lady to this day.

BlackMastodon likes this.
  11. thebeesknees22

oh yeah that'll do it. You basically saved an extra $20-$30k a year by not having to pay rent and utilities. That adds up fast!

soliloquy likes this.
  12. soliloquy

soliloquy SS.org Regular

odd thing about rent in the GTA area is that regardless of a full house, a detached house, a condo, a 2 bedroom, a shoe box, etc, you are looking to pay about $2000, give or take a hundred or two. approximately the same as mortgage. so renters aren't exactly saving much. and doesn't matter if you have a full family or not, average is about $2000.

I know that in certain places, in London Ontario, rent CAN be as low as $500 for a full condo with one bedroom, one den, one bathroom and kitchen. nothing fancy or big, but still super affordable.

13. thebeesknees22

yeah, $2000 is what I'm paying now.

Isn't London, ON the serial killer capital of the world? ah...not sure I want to go there lol

14. BlackMastodon

BlackMastodon \m/ (゚Д゚) \m/ Contributor

Not sure about that but it's a college city, but outside of the party college there isn't much to do there. Though their music scene is better than Windsor's by light years, it ain't better than Detroit's.

15. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

This seems basically like the way you have to do it now. If you don't have the support of another income you can live off of, things get much more difficult. I had the advantage of working early and never taking out student loans, but I didn't start seriously saving or anything until much later than I should have. Also didn't help that most relationships I've been in drained me of money rather than helping, despite having two incomes. I don't know how that makes sense, but I know it does.

16. zappatton2

zappatton2 SS.org Regular

I bought my house in '06 for $250,000, it's valued now at double that, and it's literally falling apart around me. Like, that's the value in it's current state. I would love to get rid of it, but my wife's health at the moment is somewhat dependent on not making any large changes. So I feel like the second I do manage to list it will coincide with a housing market collapse, it'd be my luck, lol!

17. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

You won't find anything that's not a single room for $500 here, good luck.

The issue is that rent is more expensive than a mortgage, but you can't get a mortgage because of the rent.

The only way we bought a house is my wife is incredibly good with money management. Our little bungalow would have been sub-$200k a few years ago (pre reno'd basement especially). The market didn't slow down in the pandemic and I doubt very much that we'll ever see a "bust". It'll just be a transfer of title from people moving into retirement homes/communities to their kids.

18. thebeesknees22

that sounds awful lol

I think I'll just go wander out in the wilderness and die like harrison ford in call of the wild.

19. soliloquy

soliloquy SS.org Regular

I thought Rio was the murder capital of the world?

In Canada, both Winnipeg and Thunder bay have a bad reputation for being ghetto and high crime rates.

Vancouver is/was leading the country with highest AIDS HIV rates due to their drug issue. But I think London Ontario has taken that spot now?

But I won't say London, or any part of Canada is murder central

20. thebeesknees22

soliloquy and zappatton2 like this.