Can you IR special mic setups?

Akkush

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hi!

(Disclaimer: I'm noob about IR, and I don't have the equipment to do it.)

My favorite guitarist, Trey from Morbid Angel used a few very weird micing technique, which no one used as far as I can know. For example puting a metal mixing bowl around the mic, place the mic in to a glass bowl, or placing a fan between the mic and the cab.

My question is: if I do an IR with the micing described above, can I replicate this sound on a normal guitar tone?

GreatGreen

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm not sure about that specific technique, but you should theoretically be able to create an IR out of literally any system that allows you to pass a signal completely through it.

So yeah, any IR creation tool should be able to do that. As long as it can send out a signal and listen back to whatever the mic connected to it eventually hears, you can do whatever you want in between.

I will say though, that putting something like a desk fan in the equation might not get you the results you're looking for. IR's basically create a filter of a very, very small moment in time. I'm not sure if you'd be able to replicate something that happens over a relatively "long" time like fan blades continuously running between the cab and the mic.

An IR will be able to better represent mic'ing situations that don't change. Putting a mic in a bowl and recording that is fine because it's always going to record the same basic EQ signature over time. But a fan blade constantly appearing and disappearing between the mic and speaker is not something IR tech can easily replicate.