Can we talk about how mind numbingly brilliant 'Blackstar' is?

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by jonajon91, Jan 11, 2016.

1. jonajon91

jonajon91 New Picture

First of all, I'm not the biggest Bowie fan in the world only really knowing Low, The rise and fall of Ziggy star dust and Blackstar, but his death yesterday truly knocked me, I didn't really know what to do. I couldn't listen to anything too cheery, I couldn't listen to anything sad and I couldn't bare listening to Bowie. I ended up putting on a performance of 'In C' and just sitting there for four minutes.

Has there ever been another piece of art that uses the creators death as a central force and drive for the narrative? I'm not even sure where to start with this, but how blind we we're to not have seen this coming, every lyric is about how he was going to die, the videos, the album, it's all so perfect. When I realised that 'Girl Loves Me' is about his wife's love during his mental deterioration, it was just crushing. You can just pick any line from this album and see it's real meaning now. This album will have people pulling back layers for months, if you look at comments on the lyrics from before yesterday no one has any idea what they are about and keep saying that there are loads of ways to interpret this album, now there is just one.

1). Blackstar - He has cancer
    2). 'Tis a pity she was a whore - Cancer is the whore ... and it hurts
    3). Lazarus - He's going to get out of this either through cure or death
    4). Sue (or in a season of crime) - Is about his own body betraying him
    5). Girl loves me - About is wife handing his decline in health
    6). Dollar Days - I might die, but it doesn't really matter
    7). I can't give anything away - I have cancer, I really want to say, but I can't

The Lazarus video is sung from hospital bed where he visited by death so he hastily writes down some last notes (the album) on some paper, in the Blackstar video there is loads going on, but dead major tom was pretty spooky. It's also the only album in which he does not appear on the cover.

These are just some things I have picked up from my listens and I just know there will be more to it, but I honestly think that Bowie has left us with one of the greatest concept albums of all time.

2. Rizzo

Rizzo SS.org Regular

I am sincerely truly ignorant about Bowie's career apart from the global hits, he's for sure one of the many milestone artists I yet have to get my hands on.
    Still, I can appreciate his genius, and a fortiori by connecting the dots between Blackstar and his departure. A death which has been a work of art on par with his life. Amazing.

3. Mangle

Mangle Breaker

It's too much for me too deal with right now.... with his death so fresh and recent. I recognized how brilliant the track "Blackstar" itself was as soon as I heard it and was just wondering if this is how it was as you age and your body can't do the things it used to be able to do.... now it's, well.... it's just that he was dying.

I'll listen to and marvel at how only he could probably have done it later on. It's all just too much with everything else to.

4. lava

lava Gelatinous

Bonus: It's Ben Monder on guitar! I was blown away when I saw that.

5. Cnev

Cnev SS.org Regular

:eek:

Had no idea!

6. High Plains Drifter

High Plains Drifter SS.org Regular

I'm probably going to sound like an idiot here ( lol... go figure huh?) but my fiance and I just watched/ listened to the song Blackstar for the first time and we both are very intrigued yet bewildered by all of the symbolism throughout.

I'm not able to make any definitive correlations. There is so much there... the candle, the 3 figures on the crosses ( which I felt might possibly be his own mind/ body/ soul.... all tormented... rather than 3 separate figures), the blindfold, the twitching and shaking of all the other figures ( fans?), the book, etc, etc...

I'm really trying to wrap my head around this song but I know that there is so much symbolic reference that it can't just be as simple as "death/ cancer is painful and ugly so here is a horrifying portrayal". There has to be so much more meaning throughout that 10 minutes than what I'm able to grasp right now.

Any help/ insight? I haven't listened to any more of the album yet fwiw.

7. fps

fps Kit

No one to one correlation I feel, very rich song.

And a brilliant, heartbreaking album.