Can Neural hit the homerun with a John Petrucci Archetype?

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by GuitarSetup, Dec 1, 2019.

1. GuitarSetup

GuitarSetup SS.org Regular

can they successfully pull it of and hit the homerun , just thinking this maybe my first time software pc guitar purchase

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
    Politics of Ecstasy likes this.
  2. narad

narad Owned a Zune

It already exists and it's called reaxis, by mercuriall.

Genome, Exchanger, Masoo2 and 3 others like this.
  3. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

Not exactly all the way there, but yeah it's a close contender.

4. Politics of Ecstasy

Politics of Ecstasy OG Shredder

You know, I’m not happy to admit, I dont know what you guys are talking about....but now I checked, and people are just plugging directly into their Audio interface, they load a plug in into the guitar track, and it automatically puts the “preset” or “rig” over the dry/clean track/playing?

This sounds like something id like to try, because Mesa is my shit, and i was thinking of shifting from Axe Fx to totally digital.

5. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

Pretty much. :lol: You get a GOOD interface, get a DAW that can load the proper VST plugins, get the plugin, and you just load it up and treat it like an amp/modeler.

6. Politics of Ecstasy

My goodness! How technology has changed....when the hell did this shit start happening? Like skipping modelers and going direct to interface with a plug in?

I’m literally stunned

7. GuitarSetup

GuitarSetup SS.org Regular

Me too
    yes sometimes maybe people said we are living under a rock for a long time

Politics of Ecstasy likes this.
  8. Politics of Ecstasy

I just heard someone say that the other day....on here! Lol

Oh well, honestly, I don’t like it.....soon its going to be just skip the playing and enter the notes.....then its gonna be just give it a key and a scale and let it automate itself....which is probably what most pop is these days anyway

Scary almost......as I run to grab my solid state 75 w Peavey, my boss me-30, and my dimarzio loaded axe lol jk

HOWEVER, with this in mind, can anyone tell me which Drum VST is on sale for Black Friday that you think has good library/samples, grooves etc

9. ikarus

ikarus SS.org Regular

Check out GGD Drums...

10. Boofchuck

Boofchuck SS.org Irregular

Dude that reaction was so funny to me haha.
    And Toontrack is having a sale on EZdrummer. Ola Englund has a good video explaining how he uses it. That might be helpful for you to check out.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
  11. Exchanger

Exchanger SS.org Regular

Sorry but not everyone as the budget for big amps and cabs or the luxury of an individual house where you can crank up the volume.
    When I started out I lived in a tiny apartment and didn't have a lot of cash to spend on gear, so plugins are a great way to get a great sound on a budget and without constraints. And that has nothing to do with creativity or hard work. Because I found a more lean solution for sound doesn't mean I skipped learning how to play or write.

12. Genome

Genome SS.org Regular

Best VST out there IMO, especially when you use 3rd party IR's. I'd love for them to do a Recto VST.

13. duffbeer33

duffbeer33 metal finance guy Contributor

Toontrack is still having a massive sale. The Made of Metal EZX is going for just $22. Regularly $90. Worth a look. I haven't looked at the GGD Drums sale but they do sound incredible.

14. Politics of Ecstasy

I don’t think it’s a problem of finance. I bought (my only) SS Peavey from Craiglist for $175 w/foot pedal....its awesome. I don’t need an axe fx iii or any plug ins either.....just an interface, a laptop, and a DAW...

15. TonyFlyingSquirrel

TonyFlyingSquirrel Cherokee Warrior

I was doing this over a decade ago with a Line 6 UX 1 interface using POD Farm, and unless I was using my volume pedal or wah pedal, I rarely pulled out my pedalboard. Nice thing about doing it this way is that you can re-amp & pretty much dial the amp & effect in within the plugin as part of mix pre-production so that you can have mix ready tones needing very little post production treatment. Good sound design in advance can help you big time in post production. Twisting knobs on an amp after the performance to add more mids rather than re-tracking a performance that wasn't broken.

16. Ericjutsu

Ericjutsu SS.org Regular

Man I remember the days of Wagner Sharp and Nick Crow 8505. Before that there was some suite with a prehistoric GUI that had a marshall and fender amp sound as well as a tube screamer. Back then GuitarHack's IRs were the shit.

17. Flappydoodle

Flappydoodle SS.org Regular

LePou plugins too

Honestly, they're still pretty decent, and completely free

Exchanger and aesthyrian like this.
  18. Ericjutsu

Ericjutsu SS.org Regular

Yeah they came a little after those ones. I remember LePou plugins were gamechangers. They were the best sounding amp sims around at the time free or paid.

aesthyrian and Flappydoodle like this.
  19. Exchanger

Exchanger SS.org Regular

It's not just money, it's mainly practicality if you live in a shared flat or with thin walls (and don't have space for a big cab). And as people said it's more forgiving if you're inexperienced since you can always re-amp in a few clicks if you dialed wrong. If I join a band tomorrow and need a live rig, now that I have money and my own place I'll gladly invest in a 4x12 cab, and I'll be really happy I've had some practice in my studio with amp sims to understand better what each part does and how mic placement affects tone.
    But until then, amp sims are just the more practical solution and that has nothing to do with artistic laziness. Otherwise I could call you a cheater because hey you don't build your own guitars, that's a shortcut.

They're great, the only reason I'm looking into BIAS amp or Mercuriall Re-axis / U530 is the user interface that makes tweaks much easier (especially the cab mic'ing part). But at least at my level, they sound just as good.