Can I Swap EMGs and Fishman Fluences Anytime?

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Rocketronicus, Jan 15, 2020.

1. Rocketronicus

Rocketronicus New Member

Hello good people, this is my first post here

So I have come to a dilemma where I want to switch my EMG 57-66 set with Fishman Keith Merrow set for a change without going to the passive route. I know that Fishman has multiple voices and would like to have the electronics set up for Fishmans. However, Emg set is not a set I would like to get rid of permanently. Since both pickup sets have the quick connect ability, can I just swap EMGs without touching the Fishman wiring and soldering anytime? I have read that EMGs don't recommend grounding whereas Fishman uses grounding, would that be an issue/cause danger if I did such a swap?

Thank you for your attention

2. JustinRhoads1980

JustinRhoads1980 Jackson Elitist

I have heard that it can work, but be aware you will be limited to voice one.

Just rewire it man. They still require a battery. Find a diagram that is what you want to do with the pups for your setup and if you cant find one then combine things from a few diagrams. Or you could call fishman.

Doing a full gutting of the guitar and doing it the right way is the best option

3. Rocketronicus

Rocketronicus New Member

Hey man, I am planning to rewire it for Fishman for the different voices. I am wondering if I could just plug the Emgs from time to time without reverting to EMG wiring

4. JustinRhoads1980

JustinRhoads1980 Jackson Elitist

I think you can if i am not mistaken.

5. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

IIRC I used the Fluence with my EMG-wired guitar and didn't have issues.

JustinRhoads1980 and lewis like this.
  6. MASS DEFECT

MASS DEFECT SS.ORG Infiltrator

I use a set of Moderns with EMG wiring. Works fine. Although, the EMG wiring has ground wire to the bridge from the factory (old Japanese Jackson) so it is ok. I tried putting a Fluence to one of my EMG wired guitars without the ground, and I had a wee bit of buzz.

SO be sure to ground.

lewis and Rocketronicus like this.
  7. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Yes you can. I do it all the time. I have a guitar wired for quick connect EMGs. Its just a single volume knob config.

I used the jumper clip to activate voice 2 on the neck modern and leave the bridge in active mode at all times. Plug them in like you would the emgs - and voilla.

Normally when i go back to my dual 81s in that guitar -i much prefer it. But the moderns are in there atm

8. Rev2010

Rev2010 Contributor

So wait, you guys are saying we can swap between the two? I have Modern's in the Schecter SLS Elite 7-string I picked up a few months ago. The Modern's are great, but I have EMG 707's/808's in my other 7's and 8's and was thinking of possibly swapping out. So would a 707 go in with the existing wiring with no issue? I was under the impression that the electronics were a little different and I would need to rewire if I switched.

Rev.

9. MASS DEFECT

Yep. The quick connects are the same. You would just be stuck with one voice on the Fluence if you are using EMG wiring.

Strobe likes this.
  10. Strobe

Strobe SS.org Regular

Correct. You can use a jumper to turn a setting always on (e.g. voice 2 or HF tilt). You just can't switch it without taking it out and adding/removing the jumper.

11. Rev2010

Rev2010 Contributor

I'd be going the other way around, from Fishman to EMG, so I'm not concern about the 2 different voicings. I know the connectors are the same, I just recall having read somewhere that the wiring was different. Good to know it's the same. Thanks!

Rev.

12. Noisy Humbucker

Noisy Humbucker Only obsesses over guitars when not playing them.

As long as nothing is soldered (some models require it for coil splitting) you should just be able leave the addition 2 or 4 pin connectors loose in the cavity.

Do you have voice selection setup via push-pull or 4-pole switch?

13. Rev2010

Rev2010 Contributor

Everything is soldered inside the cavity. My voice selection is via the push/pull volume knob.

Rev.

14. Noisy Humbucker

Noisy Humbucker Only obsesses over guitars when not playing them.

So yeah the push-pull won’t do anything anymore but you should be fine. You shouldn’t need to do anything in the cavity, and since you don’t have coil splitting nothing should be soldered at the pickups either.

Rev2010 likes this.
  15. MASS DEFECT

Yeah you should be good. I have my Fluence equipped guitar and I swap between EMGs all the time with the Fluence wiring. Just plug in the main connectors (the bigger 4 hole) and you are set. Although, I heard that you should put a tape over the other smaller connector, and other un-soldered, dangling wires (if you soldered them to the split coil contacts) for safety and precaution.

Rocketronicus likes this.
  16. Rocketronicus

Rocketronicus New Member

Thanks everyone! It was very helpful