Can ERGs give arthritis?

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by deletecookies, Nov 13, 2021.

1. Stuck_in_a_dream

Stuck_in_a_dream SS.org Regular

arthritis is an immune system ailment, basically chronic inflammation, my understanding, I'm not an expert. So probably junk food, sugar & carbs contribute like 99% here. So yeah, I don't think 8-string guitars or 6-string bases would give u arthritis.

2. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

No, but you can get the clap. Be careful.

Kyle Jordan likes this.
  3. Adieu

Adieu SS.org Regular

I can believe the carpal tunnel claim

My damn left pinky is *wrecked* right now after several very mindless but very verrrry copy paste intensive jobs over the past few days. Several thousand Ctrl-C Ctrl-V's later, OUCH.

Reaching too far can mess your hands up

Last edited: Nov 16, 2021
  4. Lemonbaby

Lemonbaby SS.org Regular

Enough said. It's your practice routine and technique that cause arthritis and other symptoms.

@Adieu You shlould get an extended range keyboard.

Dumple Stilzkin likes this.
  5. Dave Death

Dave Death SS.org Regular

Rheumatoid arthritis is an immune condition. It is sometimes seen with other immune system-related issues, such as alopecia. Osteo-arthritis is caused by wear and tear, and is age-related. Like 'hepatitis' or 'diabetes' arthritis is a cluster of symptoms that can have different causes. Like we have two different causes for the symptoms we call 'diabetes' so we have two different causes for arthritis, and they are different diseases with similar symptoms but very different treatments and causes.

While rheumatoid arthritis can be a real issue for guitarists (or anyone) it is osteo-arthritis that people are usually worried about arising from repetitious activity.

Stuck_in_a_dream and BubbleWrap like this.
  6. nickgray

nickgray SS.org Regular

Entirely unrelated to the thread, but sounds like you should try autohotkey

https://www.autohotkey.com/

At its simplest, you can remap any keystroke to any other, so you can remap Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V to something like F11 and F12 in order not to press control. Or maybe to side mouse buttons, if you have those. But it's way more capable than that and you can use it to automate menial tasks, it's not that hard to figure out, especially for relatively simple stuff.

budda and vozhyk like this.
  7. Spicypickles

Spicypickles Sweeps & Mops

The only thing I’ve gotten from playing guitar is gonorrhea - mind the groupies, gents.

Stretch and warm up and your hands/wrists will be fine.

8. TheInvisibleHand

TheInvisibleHand SS.org Regular

This popped up and it is a much more eloquent version of what I was trying to say in my earlier post in this thread.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/19/well/workout-exercise-knee-health.html

The point being, joints don't have pumps, and as such need movement to stay healthy. RA may be an autoimmune disfunction, but bread and butter degenerative arthritis is most often caused by acute trauma, NOT movement itself.

Takeaway: play your ERG. Keep your hands strong with load bearing, grip challenging exercise (i.e. carries and hanging). Play in short chunks as opposed to marathon sessions and build up over time.

9. Chris Bowsman

Chris Bowsman Nu-Metal Apologist Contributor

My first ERG was a straight 27” Ibanez. It was uncomfortable to play low on the neck. My current is a 25.5-27.5” 8 with the neck set really deep into the body. The neck’s wider, but it doesn’t cause any discomfort.

Get something that you can play well comfortably.

10. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

Genetics can give you arthritis. At some point it manifests regardless of guitar playing or any other activity.

budda likes this.
  11. HungryGuitarStudent

HungryGuitarStudent SS.org Regular

If the underlying question is are 8-string guitar players more susceptible to develop hand or wrist problems than 6-string players, then I’d say yes, based on my physiotherapist’s opinion (treats only musicians, 15 years experience).

12. USMarine75

USMarine75 Colorless green ideas sleep furiously Contributor

Yes. Repetitive stress injuries (tendonitis, carpal tunnel syndrome, etc.) can lead to degeneration of cartilage in your wrist and finger joints, which can eventually lead to osteoarthritis.

If you're feeling pain regularly when you play that is a warning sign for you to change your form, routine, and perhaps even choice of instrument. In general, look at how your wrist is articulated when you play - ERG's exacerbate this. Experiment with playing over your left hip (if right handed) with the neck tilted up. This will put your wrist in the most natural position, lessening strain. There are some good YouTube videos demonstrating this.

This guy's videos do a good job demonstrating proper form (just grabbed a random one):

Last edited: Dec 13, 2021