Can any of guys play this part in a solo from the band, Martyr.

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by Rosal76, Dec 22, 2014.

1. Rosal76

Rosal76 SS.org Regular

Hey guys. Just wondering if any of you can play a part in this solo from the band, Martyr. The part in question is from the solo, "Speechless", which is off of their second album, "The Warp Zone (2000)" I would like to mention that the band have released guitar tablature books for all three of their albums and have tabbed the books themselves. I have the tab book for Warp Zone and found this part the other day and have been pondering about it. Anyways, here is the part and how it appears in the book.

h = hammer-on
    p = pull-off

i = index finger
    m = middle finger
    r = ring finger
    pi = pinkie finger
    t = tapped with pick hand

* Top line is finger positions. Bottom is the guitar tab with notes.

Possible solution 1. Finger stretches between the frets is way too far. Unless Daniel Mongrain (Martyr guitarist) is using his thumb, maybe. :scratch:

--pi----r---m----i---pi
    |-10-p-9-p-6-p-3-h-7--------------------------|

Possible solution 2. Tapping the 10th fret with pick hand makes it a little easier but does not help the fact that the 9, 6 and 3rd fret is still too far. Also, there is no "T" indicating it is a tapped note in the book.

--t----pi---r----i---pi
    |-10-p-9-p-6-p-3-h-7--------------------------|

Does anyone else here think that these stretches is way to hard to execute? Perhaps possible mistakes when they tabbed the book? :scratch:

2. Jacksonluvr636

Jacksonluvr636 SS.org Regular

Not sure if I am following this correctly but a stretch from 6th fret to 3rd is not that big of a stretch by any means. Nor is a 3rd fret to 7th fret hammer on. I guess I would advise you to practice bigger scales and if you ever do find a stretch that is physically impossible than remember you can move your thumb and/or move your hand and switch "positions" while playing.

BTW Martyr kicks major ass!!!

3. JoryGriffin

JoryGriffin SS.org Regular

The point is that if you're playing with a static hand position this bit actually requires a stretch from 3 to 6 with just the index and middle finger, then for the ring finger to be on 9 and the pinky to be on 10.

It seems to be possible if you don't take up a static hand position (i.e. you slide your hand down the back of the neck while playing it. It's certainly still tricky though).

I would probably just cheat and play it with a slide between 6 and 3

--pi----r---i----i---pi
    |-10-p-9-p-6-s-3-h-7--------------------------|

4. Rosal76

Rosal76 SS.org Regular

It's a stretch from the 3rd to 6th to 9th to 10th fret. According to the tab book, Daniel Mongrain is fretting those 4 notes with one hand.

They do. And they are certainly kicking my ass with this solo. It's a shame they are on hiatus.

5. Rosal76

Rosal76 SS.org Regular

Good improvisation. I found 2 Youtube videos of the band playing the song live but the lighting is too dark and/or the camera is too far away for me to see what Daniel Mongrain is playing. If/when I decide to learn this solo, I'll definately have to improvise/change that part.

6. redstone

redstone SS.org Regular

is there a reason to play that on one string ? I can play it pi-r-pi-f-pi with a quick position change and no audible slide effect. But it doesn't worth it.

7. piggins411

piggins411 SS.org Regular

I would definitely play it with the slide as well

8. Spectre 1

Spectre 1 SS.org Regular

Its doable, just have to move your hand as you slightly hammer-on from nowhere, like Holdsworth or Brett Garsed style for example.