Can a VH100R push what a Dual Rec can?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by themagichoof, Jan 25, 2014.

1. themagichoof

themagichoof SS.org Regular

No matter if you use channel 2 or 3 on a dual rec it's gonna sound huge. Even if you put a distortion pedal into the clean channel, it'll get you that huge, crushing, overpowering sound.

I remember comparing a distortion pedal into a Mesa Quad preamp, an ADA MP1 and a Dual Rec, all into the same power amp and cab, and the Dual Rec was definitely the 'biggest' sounding. Some preamps just don't seem cut out for that modern frequency response I guess.

So my question isn't about the quality of the tone from either amp, it's more about what the VH100R can PUSH. Can it rival a Dual Rec in that regard?

As long as it can push that 'brootal frequency response' as I call it I'm sold. I like the tonal quality of the VH100R more than the dual rec, but don't want to lose the balls that the dual rec provides..

2. JLP2005

JLP2005 Chief Knuckledragger

Matt Pike used to play through a Laney GH100L, and I'm told the VH100R has more gain on tap. I own a IRT60H, and I'm told the rhythm channel on this amp is identical to the GH50, and it definitely can get there. Hope this helps.

3. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands SS.org Regular

The VH100R is supposed to sound exactly like the GH, just with two channels, to my understanding. The GH does have a lot of gain on tap.

And the Ironheart is supposed to be it's own voicing, which is dryer, tighter, and more aggressive.

Whether it'll sound as big as a Mesa, probably not. Laney GH's are heavily based on Marshall-esque tones, but with more low end umph.

4. SSK0909

SSK0909 SS.org Regular

Having owned both at the same time I can say that they are very different.

The Laney is very close too jcm800 territory, meaning lots of biting mids and a great roar IF you can push the master volume. The Laney is damn loud and needs that volume to get a good bottom end.
    It will never have the "ooomph" of a recto, but personally i prefer to let bass players handle that part.

Playing solo and quiet volumes, the recto wins for its classic wall of sound tone. In a band at gig volumes the Laney wins by sitting really greatly in the mix.

5. glpg80

glpg80 √εvil

+1

I've always said Laney does the marshall sound better than marshall these days. Laneys are also built like brick shithouses.

I gigged a GH100TI for ~3 weeks or so filling in for another guitar player and own a Tremoverb now. They are definitely different in the extended low growl. Laney cuts like a knife - a great soloing player's amplifier.

6. themagichoof

themagichoof SS.org Regular

The VH100R can get me the tone I want but without the balls, and the dual rec will get me the balls I want but without the tone. Right?

Basically, I'm gonna have to have both.

I hate life :lol:

7. Toshiro

Toshiro .... Contributor

I've had both a GH50L and an IRT60H, as well as played through VH100Rs and VC50s. The IRT rhythm channel is definitely not a GH50 at all.

The GH and VH amps came out at the same time, and the GH is the gain channel from the VH amps.

Laneys are loud and bright, pretty much the polar opposite of a Recto. Instead of filling everything out, it's gonna slice straight through.

8. glpg80

glpg80 √εvil

In reality the GH100TI, GH50L, GH100L, and VH100R are all the same voicing. The only differences are the GH100TI has a gain boost as a permanent fixture taken from the GH100L; with no clean channel but rather a low-gain input. The GH100L has a switchable pre-gain to make it semi-two channel. The VH100R has a dedicated clean channel with dedicated EQ with more features in voicing. The similarities are otherwise identical.

9. karjim

karjim Set the World Afire

Well, I play a VH100 and to get the US territory with, it will need some help...but once the amp is set up correctly, it has a shit load of gain and huge dynamic.
    So, put 6L6 in the VH100, a Tung Sol in V1 some JJ and EH after, use an Eq and a TS like a JCM2203....Get a Mesa Recto Cab and it's gonna be Zack Wildesk: Huge British wall of sound with a US High Gain Flavor...
    PS: forget about that Ooommph in Low ends, only Mesa can do that trick which is useless with drop Tunings.
    The VH100 is one hell of an amp, loud so loud so dumb loud like a Triple Rec :) and eat some modern amps like gummy bears.

10. maliciousteve

maliciousteve Contributor

I owned both a VH100 and an ENGL Powerball once and I compared the two.

The Laney blew the ENGL away with how well it projected its sound. Which is why I sold the Powerball not long after that.

Pretty much any Laney will push a lot of air. Though unfortunately I've never had any real amount of time with a Dual Rec so I can't compare the two.

11. JLP2005

JLP2005 Chief Knuckledragger

I may have been misinformed about the GH / IRT Similarities. My bad, folks. My IRT still kicks some serious ass.

12. Themightyjay

Themightyjay Member

I've owned all of these. While the GH and VH versions are meant to sound the same, I preferred the GH drive channel, although the VH is of course more versatile.

And while the Laney's sound great, they don't sound as big as a Dual Rec.

13. viesczy

viesczy SS.org Regular

I have a VH100R and a Road King II.

To get a modern type of tone out of the gain wiht the VH100 you'll need 6L6 tubes (as stated) to give that fuller (AKA no mid honk) tone. If you dial back the mids/treble as well that will go a long way too.

You'll definitely have the gain boost engaged on the drive channel as well.

While it will sound more modern, the VH100 still leans towards the British voicing. That isn't a bad thing, but don't get it, do a couple of tweaks and thing it'll be a dual or a tri.

For the cost new of the VH100, if you really want the Mesa tone it is only a few bucks more for a dual rec.

Also, don't go with Vin30s (unless it is a Mesa cab) as that speaker will give a sterile/brittle/lifeless tone to the VH100. The Eminence V12L will give a far better tone. I know first hand, I used to run my VH100 through Vin30 Laney cab, I ended up ditching the the entire cab and went with V12 Avatar cab and I've never looked back.

Derek