Calling Single Coil Guys

ChrispyFinch

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Ive got a BKP trilogy suite set in a strat and I hate them.
The trilogies are too high output and bassy, I've experimented with height which helped some. Im still not getting the sounds id like. I've changed amps too.
I want something similar to the SD texas hot, or Shecter NJ subatomic set without the $400 a set price tag.
Recommendations for that low/medium output single with some smoke on it? also if there are recommendations for a matching humbucker that'd be great too.
Much apprecaited.

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
You can always check out the Fender Texas Specials or Dimarzio Area 61s. Those are tailored for that brighter 60s sound, but without the output and brittle sound.

tedtan

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I was going to say that Fender’s Texas Specials sound like what you are describing, but it would be easier to make a suggestion with an example/sound clip of what you are hoping for.

ChrispyFinch

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
basically Nick Johnston type sound, a smidge hotter than the texas blues type thing i think.
I completely forgot about the fender set somehow, I'll probably pickup a used set and give those a shot for awhile.

ShredmasterD

Calls it like it is.
Reaction score
Ive got a BKP trilogy suite set in a strat and I hate them.
The trilogies are too high output and bassy, I've experimented with height which helped some. Im still not getting the sounds id like. I've changed amps too.
I want something similar to the SD texas hot, or Shecter NJ subatomic set without the $400 a set price tag.
Recommendations for that low/medium output single with some smoke on it? also if there are recommendations for a matching humbucker that'd be great too.
Much apprecaited.
take a look at rio grande pickups.

RevDrucifer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I got a partscaster that came with these hand-wound Russian Pribora’s. I initially thought I’d swap them out but I’m really digging them. I can do the whole EJ/bluesy Strat thing with them, but can also still get Zakk Wylde pinch harmonics out of the bridge pickup with some distortion on them.

No clue what they cost, but they’re really great sounding pickups and not at all what I was expecting. I think they’re the Classics.

ArtDecade

Tartuffe
Reaction score
There is no magic to single coils. If you want the classic sound, just go for something with low winding and low output. Even bog standard Mexican Strat pickups will do the job - especially when talking about clean and edge of break up tones.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I love the Dimarzio FS-1, it just does the trick.
:rofl:

I mean, Texas Specials are an obvious choice here, but if you're thinking "smokey," the Eric Johnson set is pretty awesome too.

I personally love the Suhr ML Standards, which dn't sound at all what you're looking for, until you say "Nick Johnson type sound." That said, while I've only tried the V60 and V60LP, I'd think the Suhr V63 might push you in that direction too, as an early 60s singlecoil with a bit more power behind it.

Lemonbaby

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Tonerider makes great sounding single coils. The Wilkinson Classic set's also nice.

@ArtDecade There's no magic to humbuckers either, which doesn't stop marketing to sell us the next PU that's "focused but full sounding, made for tight riffing and clarity in big chords".