Cakewalk or Studio One?

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by shnizzle, Mar 22, 2020.

1. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

Can you elaborate? Extensive Sibelius user here who doesn't see that much difference to working in Tux/GP. Deleting a note puts a rest in its place, notes can be dragged up and down, etc. I really can't see a difference or what could be improved for flexibility to make editing easier* - I'm curious.
    *That said you should try the trial of Dorico, perhaps you would enjoy it. You can by default enter notes anywhere along the bars grid, and it will correct the notation for you adding rests etc. Somewhat similar to the approach I have sometimes taken in GP/Sibelius of pre-filling out a bar with 16th note rests - but less clunky.
    Still, nothing to do with DAW so sorry for derailing the discussion. Just curious what you're after

Last edited: May 4, 2020
  2. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

I've tried six or seven DAW's, but definitely use Studio One the most. Cakewalk did not impress me, except for its MIDI interface being a little better than average.

I mean, often times in life, we are given several non-ideal options and forced to make a choice. If the MIDI interface is a big deal for you, probably don't use S1, since it is less than ideal in that field. For whatever reason, I find ancient 1990's software to be far more intuitive when it comes to editing MIDI. With a potential MIDI 2.0 or MIDI overhaul in process, though, maybe the most prudent option would be to sit and wait until things get back to "normal," and there is a new layout.

Winspear likes this.
  3. decoy205

decoy205 SS.org Regular

I went and bought studio One 4 seems great so far.

Nicki and Aewrik like this.
  4. Nicki

Nicki SS.org Regular

If that wasn't what you were looking for, you could have just said so instead of providing a rude reply.

I'll still offer a different solution, though it's much more manual and may not be conducive to your workflow, but you could export the midi track, then import it to an editor of your choice, make your adjustments, then re-import it into Studio One. You might even be able to do what you want with Notion, but just don't know how. You may want to contact PreSonus support and ask them.

5. fantom

fantom Misses his 6 strings

I tend to write top down within a measure. So I want to be able to identify things near the beat and enter a note with a specific duration anywhere in the measure in any order. I do not want to write left to right. This is probably similar to writing drum parts. Enter the snare and kick basic part first, then add elaborations and off beat parts. Yes, the piano roll is better for this, but it is quicker for me to find notes on a staff than the piano roll.

As for Dorico, I looked into once. It is not designed for people wanting to do midi editing. I rather use guitar pro with a worse render than move to something focused on engraving. My main issue is I don't want to go in and out of a daw to edit midi and constantly import parts. I want to make changes while hearing the record guitar parts.

I will look at if this is possible in notion again. I couldn't figure it out before. If they really want notion to be used by S1 users, they need to ARA it into S1 instead of import / export.

As far as being rude, was I? From my point of view, my very first response was telling the OP there is no staff view and the midi workflow is lacking compared to Sonar and Cubase particularly due to the lack of a staff editor. I never once mentioned piano roll. From there on, I've been told I am 1) wrong 2) not using a good workflow 3) notion integration is good enough 4) I'm rude for being trolled.

Take it for what is worth, but please reread the posts I've made and let me know how I'm not being trolled or misunderstood repeatedly. The point of my post was to help the OP make a choice. I think this conversation might help with that, but at the same time, not sure any new information is being provided by people saying this isn't a problem.

6. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

I think this just further adds to the confusion. What's stopping anyone from using the piano roll or percussion roll that way? How is a staff going to be any different in that regard?

7. fantom

Maybe it is more confusing to you. Cakewalk supported this for 25+ years. I find it far easier to work this way. It is something that is limiting in other products. Take it for what it is worth. I just want the OP to know this is one of the things I miss from Sonar and that Presonus and many of their users do not see it as something S1 or Notion should fix. It is a recurring issue where people think the workflow isn't useful and therefore don't understand why someone else could ever want it. MuseScore's author has been notorious for telling people to change their workflow instead of listening to user feature requests. See his response in https://musescore.org/en/node/11029

And as you mentioned, the piano roll can accomplish my workflow, just takes more screen real estate and is not as quick as a staff view (for me).

This is getting way off topic. Other workflow improvements and stability make Studio One the better DAW for me. Even with my frustration around midi editing, I'm more productive in S1 than in Sonar. That's the part I want the OP to see.

8. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

Gotcha. I understand, and indeed I too would prefer to take a MIDI editor approach but with a staff view.
    All I can recommend is the rests trick I mentioned - to flesh out bars with 16th rests first at which point it becomes pretty easy to jump into the bar at any point.
    Did Cakewalk change this? Shame

fantom likes this.
  9. fantom

Definitely will try the rest trick. Sounds pretty obvious now. Thanks for that tip!

Cakewalk didn't change anything. The staff layout just got buggy over time. It is still functional though.

Winspear likes this.
  10. KingAenarion

KingAenarion Resident Studio Nerd

If you like the Pro Channel stuff from Cakewalk for sound, Overloud Tapedesk is the plugin version.

11. shnizzle

shnizzle johnny

wow, i´m out for a few days and come back to some awesome discussions here. cool stuff, folks. fwiw i did switch back to Studio One and bought the upgrade to v4 as it was on sale last month. no regrets. love it.

12. shnizzle

shnizzle johnny

wow, i´m out for a few days and come back to some awesome discussions here. cool stuff, folks. fwiw i did switch back to Studio One and bought the upgrade to v4 as it was on sale last month. no regrets. love it.

13. fantom

So bumping this...

I didn't buy the upgrade just yet. But it looks like Studio One 5 added the score editor, mpe, and keyswitching. It also looks like they did it wysiwyg and not like Notion/Finale/Sibelius. I'll definitely look into it more, but Cubase just lost its appeal to me (well, except Cubasis is on android and studio one still isn't). I am looking forward to my next chunk of free time now!