Cab options for 6505 head in studio????

JeffreyScum

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hey y’all. I been out of the game for a while, long while actually. But in the last year the bug has bitten me hard again and I started jamming around with a few guys and it’s coming together rather nicely. So we’ve booked some studio time to try to capture some of our best ideas. I’ve got a Peavey 6505 head on it’s way right now. And I’m looking for suggestions of a good cab that will serve the recording purpose AND that will be brutal and reliable should some live shows be in our near future. My first thought was to just get the matching 6505 cab, since I see now it houses the V30’s, instead of the old Sheffield’s. Looks like it’s made of plywood, but haven’t personally heard one with the V30’s. My band will be recording deathcore type material. I’m sure laying a Schecter Damien Platinum 7 string. Tuned to Drop G. Any helpful suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Choop

n______n
Reaction score
The 6505 cab with V30s would probably be pretty sweet -- also back in the day people used to pair 6505's with Marshall 1960 cabs often, though they often come with T75s that scoop the mids a fair bit. Can't go wrong with Mesa or Orange, and you may find a good deal on one used locally.

JeffreyScum

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies so far. Sure am glad that ,so far , I’ve gotten replies that didn’t try to convince me to just buy a Kemper, Helix, or other digital alternative. My first thought was the Mesa Boogie Recto Standard Straight 4x12. I prefer to buy a new cabinet. Seems no major companies have them all n stock. I’ve contacted Sweetwater and asked what the estimated wait time is. My studio time is booked and paid for for Halloween weekend.(Seriously like my 18th birthday over again, only better [Im 40 lol]) Anyone have actual playing time with the 6505 and the Marshall 1960B? That seems pretty intriguing. If the G-12’s hide some mids, and the 6505 is very mid-heavy, there may be some some cross cancellations of the negatives everyone seems to have about both pieces of equipment.

gnoll

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
So get a cab that's too scooped to deal with an amp that's too mid-heavy?

Why even use a 6505 then?

What if the cab scoops the wrong frequencies and you end up with both a big dip and a big peak?

Anyway everyone hates g12t-75s, barely anyone is gonna tell you that's a good idea.

Asking this question seems pointless to begin with, we all know everyone will just say v30. (Not that I agree with that...)

youngthrasher9

Ur Mom Is Too Much Gain
Reaction score
So get a cab that's too scooped to deal with an amp that's too mid-heavy?

Why even use a 6505 then?

What if the cab scoops the wrong frequencies and you end up with both a big dip and a big peak?

Anyway everyone hates g12t-75s, barely anyone is gonna tell you that's a good idea.

Asking this question seems pointless to begin with, we all know everyone will just say v30. (Not that I agree with that...)
Who pissed in your Cheerios? Just because regulars know doesn’t mean he does.

OP, if you’re worried about the mid spike from the 6505 you’re probably better off throwing an EQ in the loop and just using a decent V30 loaded cab than g12-t75’s. Some people a really hate micing 75’s, and that could be a time waster if you’re on the clock with studio time.

sleewell

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I love my orange with my 6505. Mine is pre ppc tho, has the t75s.

gnoll

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Who pissed in your Cheerios? Just because regulars know doesn’t mean he does.

It's just that this type of thread is always the same and makes it seem like v30 is the only speaker in the world that's worth using, just like with 5150/6505 and amps. I know I'm salty and I shouldn't post but sometimes I can't help it.

I just think it's better to try stuff, listen to demos and figure out what you like rather than buy based too much on internet recommendations. Partly because tone is personal and everybody doesn't like the same things, but also because cabs/speakers can sound way different even if they're the same model. If you hear a cab that's great (or get it recommended to you) and you buy "the same" cab new it might not even sound the same! An older cab is gonna sound different, partly because it's been played but also because speaker manufacture and components have changed over time. And then there's different versions of speakers and 8 vs 16 ohm etc. So if people say v30s are great it's like, well which v30s are they even talking about?

But on the other hand if you try a cab and it sounds great, well there you go then?

Some people a really hate micing 75’s, and that could be a time waster if you’re on the clock with studio time.

I think this is a good point though. If the engineer is good at/used to working with a certain cab/speaker, it might be a good idea to consider that (provided you like that sound but if not you might be in the wrong studio to begin with I suppose).

cardinal

F# Dive Bomber
Reaction score
I have a 5150 (same as the 6505) and a bunch of cabs.

Marshall 1960 with T75: doesn't sound bad. Seems a bit flat, but it works. I can't really but my finger on what I don't really like about them. I just prefer others. I prefer the chug from V30s or the warmer/thicker sound of a G12M depending on what I'm going for. But these are not bad speakers.

Marshall with various V30s: nice, thick midrange. Low end is controlled. Nice bite to the top end. My choice if not boosting the amp.

Mesa 4x12OS: Clearer midrange than the Marshall with V30s (not as warm). High end is stiff. A lot of low end. Sounds OK unboosted but really shines when the 6505 is boosted with an 808 or something. Then it's just That Sound.

Caveat with the Mesa cabs is that I swear they are inconsistent. I hate the idea that some gear has magic fairy dust or whatever, but I've had close to ten (?) of these Mesa OS cabs over the years and many sounded terrible to me. (First one I had sounded glorious; sold it and have been trying to find another that I like). I recently had two with speakers made a few months from each other, and one sounded very meh and the other is brilliant. WTF. And the "meh" one is a road dog from a local band that is clearly broken in. Don't get it.

YMMV.

Last edited:

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Could use whatever cabs the studio has, buys you time to sort out something for shows.

youngthrasher9

Ur Mom Is Too Much Gain
Reaction score
It's just that this type of thread is always the same and makes it seem like v30 is the only speaker in the world that's worth using, just like with 5150/6505 and amps. I know I'm salty and I shouldn't post but sometimes I can't help it.

I just think it's better to try stuff, listen to demos and figure out what you like rather than buy based too much on internet recommendations. Partly because tone is personal and everybody doesn't like the same things, but also because cabs/speakers can sound way different even if they're the same model. If you hear a cab that's great (or get it recommended to you) and you buy "the same" cab new it might not even sound the same! An older cab is gonna sound different, partly because it's been played but also because speaker manufacture and components have changed over time. And then there's different versions of speakers and 8 vs 16 ohm etc. So if people say v30s are great it's like, well which v30s are they even talking about?

But on the other hand if you try a cab and it sounds great, well there you go then?

I think this is a good point though. If the engineer is good at/used to working with a certain cab/speaker, it might be a good idea to consider that (provided you like that sound but if not you might be in the wrong studio to begin with I suppose).
You do make a lot of good points. I’m actually an Eminence user, myself, but I recognize that a lot of people aren’t into that sound.

One of my favorite sounding cabs I’ve ever used was one of those old front loaded Mesa cab’s with the metal grille and black shadows, but those are hard to find.

DudeManBrother

Hey...how did everybody get in my room?
Reaction score
I’ve got a 1960a that I kept the t75’s in for years. It worked fine with the 6505 but was never as “exciting” as the OS w/ v30. It was always a bit more boxy and muffled sounding and trying to add the treble via the amp could get fizzy in a hurry. There is a happy medium that sounds fine, but the OS cab always sounds better immediately. You can drop a 57 almost anywhere near the dust cap and get a great tone.

Creambacks and Greenbacks also work well with the amp. I use my OS creamback/v30 cab all the time, too; but if I had to pick just one cab that I knew would be easy to record: Mesa OS hands down.

yan12

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
If you want a v30 cab hunt down the original VHT with the mesa celestion t4416. Best v30 cab ever made.
I have not heard a new cab with v30's that comes close, partly due to the version of v30 stuffed in there.
If you only want new, I say mesa traditional.

MrWulf

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Maybe a Torpedo Capter X or Suhr Reactive Load and use IRs, maybe? For downtuned deathcore though anything V30 from Orange or Mesa Boogie are quite good.

Adieu

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Mesa V30, Mesa V30s/C90s, Marshall Vintages, Marshall T75s, etc. G12-65's are pretty killer too.

For studio use, a cab with 2 different speaker types might be a good idea, and a switchable stereo cab with 2 different speaker types better yet. You can also pull 2 power tubes to go to half wattage which further widens your speaker choices.

PS don't buy new. Even without the wait time issue.

Last edited:

JxHx

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I play my 6505 through a cheap Harley Benton 2x12 with V30s and it sounds killer. I use an Ibanez RGAB8 with EMG 808Xs in drop E.